When there's a problem with the item

Hi!

I bought an item from a Chinese seller that had good ratings. The item was marked as brand new, MISB. When I opened the box, there was a clear flaw in the painting of the object. So I took a good picture and sent a message to the seller, asking what should I do. Still no answer as I write this message. Important note: the box wasn't sealed, which is normal because the manufacturer doesn't seal it, and I have no reason to think the seller opened the box to check he was shipping an item without flaw.

I have 2 questions: 

1- I would rather have a replacement than asking for a refund. Is there a proper way to ask for this?  If I have to ship it back, should I wait to receive the new item before sending it? 

2- And in case the seller doesn't answer at all, how long should I wait before opening a case with eBay?

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

seller that had good ratings.

A good rating is 99% positive feedback. A  98% rating is poor.

there was a clear flaw in the painting of the object...sent a message to the seller, asking what should I do. Still no answer ...

Go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not As Described dispute.

You have already completed the first suggestion (Contact Seller) so go to the next , ask eBay to step in, and Escalate to a Claim.

If I have to ship it back,

The seller is required to send you Return Shipping.

He can do this by using Paypal's Send Money service.

If he does not, he loses the Dispute and gets a Defect. You are refunded and can do with the defective item as you wish.

should I wait to receive the new item before sending it? 

If he sends Return Shipping, when the tracking shows it has been delivered (not shipped, delivered) you will be refunded. Keep an eye on the tracking, you may have to remind eBay.

I would rather have a replacement than asking for a refund.

Since the seller is ignoring you, accept that this is not likely to happen.

After the transaction is over, and you have your refund, you can buy from him again if you are happy with how he treated you.

how long should I wait before opening a case

Do it now.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I would give the seller until Monday night (local time) to respond only because there is a weekend involved. After that, open your Not as Described case. The problem with a replacement from China is speed of delivery. You might want a refund directly so that you can buy another.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

seller that had good ratings.

A good rating is 99% positive feedback. A  98% rating is poor.

there was a clear flaw in the painting of the object...sent a message to the seller, asking what should I do. Still no answer ...

Go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Open an Item Not As Described dispute.

You have already completed the first suggestion (Contact Seller) so go to the next , ask eBay to step in, and Escalate to a Claim.

If I have to ship it back,

The seller is required to send you Return Shipping.

He can do this by using Paypal's Send Money service.

If he does not, he loses the Dispute and gets a Defect. You are refunded and can do with the defective item as you wish.

should I wait to receive the new item before sending it? 

If he sends Return Shipping, when the tracking shows it has been delivered (not shipped, delivered) you will be refunded. Keep an eye on the tracking, you may have to remind eBay.

I would rather have a replacement than asking for a refund.

Since the seller is ignoring you, accept that this is not likely to happen.

After the transaction is over, and you have your refund, you can buy from him again if you are happy with how he treated you.

how long should I wait before opening a case

Do it now.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply