are soda signs from china a scam

190969b
Community Member

are soda signs from china a scam..they offer signs for next to nothing with free shipping..i purchased a sign from china for under $30 with free shipping i paid through paypal with a prepaid visa card..the sign i purchased is easily worth $200-300..i sent the seller many messeges asking if it was shipped yet with no reply from the seller i think i got scammed..im 70 years old and new to ebay what should i do next any info would be great thanks..

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@190969b wrote:

are soda signs from china a scam..they offer signs for next to nothing with free shipping..i purchased a sign from china for under $30 with free shipping i paid through paypal with a prepaid visa card..the sign i purchased is easily worth $200-300..i sent the seller many messeges asking if it was shipped yet with no reply from the seller i think i got scammed.

There should be a delivery date time range with your eBay purchase information. You can open an Item-Not-Received (INR) case in the 30 days after last estimated delivery date on eBay.

Not sure how PayPal handles prepaid cards. PayPal allows you to open a claim for 180 days from the purchase date. Go to your transaction record there.

Any cheap soda sign from mainland China (if it ships) will be a replica/counterfeit/fake.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Well.... duh.

Why would a vintage North American soda sign be in China?

.the sign i purchased is easily worth $200-300.

If if were not a counterfeit, it very well may be worth that.

But it is fake.

So you already know you are dealing with a scammer.

Now.

Has the last estimated date for arrival passed?

If so you have 30 days from that date to open an eBay Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

You have already tried to contact the seller, so skip the suggestion that you contact him and go directly to:

Ask eBayto step in and escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping,delivery) you will be refunded.

If more than 30 days have passed, you have 180 days from payment to open an Item Not Received Dispute with Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

Same basic system as eBay.

think iii just eat the $30 and move on

NO!

If you don't act on this, the seller will go on to cheat other collectors.

It is your duty as a good citizen to follow up.

And in the process, you become more computer -savvy.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@190969b wrote:

are soda signs from china a scam..they offer signs for next to nothing with free shipping..i purchased a sign from china for under $30 with free shipping i paid through paypal with a prepaid visa card..the sign i purchased is easily worth $200-300..i sent the seller many messeges asking if it was shipped yet with no reply from the seller i think i got scammed.

There should be a delivery date time range with your eBay purchase information. You can open an Item-Not-Received (INR) case in the 30 days after last estimated delivery date on eBay.

Not sure how PayPal handles prepaid cards. PayPal allows you to open a claim for 180 days from the purchase date. Go to your transaction record there.

Any cheap soda sign from mainland China (if it ships) will be a replica/counterfeit/fake.

-..-

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

thanks for replying i should have know better a $300 sign for under $30 with free shipping..to good to be true think iii just eat the $30 and move on..lol..take care..next purchases will be from good old canada or usa..

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@190969b wrote:

thanks for replying i should have know better a $300 sign for under $30 with free shipping..to good to be true think iii just eat the $30 and move on..lol..take care..next purchases will be from good old canada or usa..

Opening an INR case is fairly easy, It forces the seller to provide shipping details or your money is refunded.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Well.... duh.

Why would a vintage North American soda sign be in China?

.the sign i purchased is easily worth $200-300.

If if were not a counterfeit, it very well may be worth that.

But it is fake.

So you already know you are dealing with a scammer.

Now.

Has the last estimated date for arrival passed?

If so you have 30 days from that date to open an eBay Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

You have already tried to contact the seller, so skip the suggestion that you contact him and go directly to:

Ask eBayto step in and escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping,delivery) you will be refunded.

If more than 30 days have passed, you have 180 days from payment to open an Item Not Received Dispute with Paypal.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

Same basic system as eBay.

think iii just eat the $30 and move on

NO!

If you don't act on this, the seller will go on to cheat other collectors.

It is your duty as a good citizen to follow up.

And in the process, you become more computer -savvy.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

lol..lol..duh is right...kinda knew it was maybe a scam but unfortunely did it anyway...if you look under soda signs buy it now from china there are a lot of new sellers from there selling i mean scamming beatty signs for peanuts and most if not all sold...so im not not only one.that got suckered..you would think ebay would know there all a scam..anyway thanks for info and iii wait the time to run out and file a claim..thanks

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

EBay has some bots that spot key words, but mostly they work from complaints and mostly Claims.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Ew. I just noticed you used a prepaid card.

Well, try the Dispute anyway, but that money is probably gone.

Gift cards and prepaid cards are beloved of scammers.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I assume this sign was tin

Tin advertising signs have been reproduced for years 

What I would advise to do before buying anymore is check out the Repro Sign Sites that one can find on the net or talk to collectors or dealers in your area if there are some around

most will be glad to assist someone because it affects legitimate people who do deal in them who would never misrepresent them

there are a number of these Companies that sell these and do not misrepresent them but sell as such 

you may be able to get an idea what to watch for 

One thing to really watch for now with signs is Porcelain ones

there are companies now reproducing these that are spot on and are incredibly difficult to spot as repros even if if viewed in person

there are very experienced collectors and dealers that have been stung by these and it has been a very expensive mistake at times.

there  are companies that are producing these and are excellent repros 

these have damage such as chipping and age marks on them that look original

the companies are not doing anything wrong they are selling them as new but it's what happens after they are sold

some that buy them are presenting them as original old ones 

it's very tricky and one really needs to know what to look for 

as an example I had a friend who knows signs well

He bought a Porcelain  Sign for $1000.000  The originals of this do show up from time to time and sell for  more. If it had been a original he would have scored big time  

this had damage on it and age wear and it looked very very good 

showing others in the know a few had concerns but were not sure and he looked into it further

it was finally determined to be fake but it took awhile and took other advanced collectors and dealers looking at it to figure it out

My friend was lucky

Took it to a show and presented it as a Repro and was able to sell it for $1100.00

The guy who bought it accepted what it was, knew how rare the original   is knew his chances were slim to get an actual one and bought it as a filler

as these repros appear more in the market people are getting a sense of what to look for but one needs to be careful

if in doubt trust your gut feeling and look into it further before going ahead 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

hello..thanks for replying..know my signs been doing this for 45 years..the ebay way of doing things not so much or not at all..kinda new it was to good to be true but did it anyway after seeing other persons buying them from china..thought prepaid cards were the way to go on ebay cause they couldent get any money from prepaid only the amount you paid for your item..but i guess i was wrong on that to..i only entered in to this compter world cause my kids bought me this compter for christmas present said i was a flintstone to get with the times..learning very fast that it kinda sucks to many rip offs scammers out there for me....i like the old way put $100 in the gas tank and go looking for the stuff you want..to me thats the only good way of getting good junk..thanks and take care ebay world..

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

For what it's worth, this is an ad from 1943:

coca-cola_ad_american_soldiers_in_china_1943.jpg

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

I have bought a few posters and signs (all reproductions) from ebay in the past but the fact that they were not original wasn't even an issue and they were priced accordingly.

For all you know, the reproduced sign that you bought may very well arrive within the estimated time and you'll have what you paid for, I really don't see a problem here unless the seller advertised the sign as genuine ,if that's the case then I understand why you feel you were scammed. but really? a genuine sign from China? and for $30? you must have known it was not the real deal.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

not the only one that got suckered theres a few of us and yes they were all supposed to be original....take a look and see what has actually sold from china in the way of so called original soda signs...you will be very surprised...my advise now is dont buy anything from china most are scams..especially the new sellers from china in like the the last couple of months..check it out for yourself and youll see

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

and i bet all those persons that bought signs from china in the last couple of months DID NOT RECIEVE THERE SIGNS THEY WERE SCAMMED JUST LIKE MYSELF...AND THE SELLER NEVER REPLYIES BACK NO MATTER HOW MANY EMAILS YOU SEND THEM...SO GO AHEAD AND LOOK TO SEE WHAT SODA SIGNS ACTUALLY SOLD IN CHINA...I KNOW SIGNS AND ALL WERE ORIGINAL SODA SIGNS...BEWARE SIGN SHOPPERS..THANKS..

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

People often see what they want to see.

And some of the bidders never did believe they were getting the real thing, but wanted the decorative item which was a good buy at $30.

In your case, you can wait until the last estimated date for arrival passes.

If it does not, open an Item Not Received Dispute and get your money back.

Don't try to settle this outside eBay you want this scammer to be on eBay's radar.

Losing the Dispute means he gets a Defect-- which is much more important to a Seller than just feedback.

If the sign arrives on time, and it is a fake, open an Item Not As Described Dispute.

The seller will be required to send you Return Postage, which he won't do.

If he does not he loses the Dispute-- which means he gets a Defect-- which is much more important to a Seller than just feedback.

He may cut his losses and just refund you. NOW you leave appropriate feedback.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual. "Sign is counterfeit. Not original. Not worth $XX." for example. We are not allowed to mention any disputes, claims or refunds in feedback.

On another topic, almost-- How much are Coca-Cola door kick signs in French going for these days? I fetched mine out of a trash can when an Ottawa corner store went out of business forty years ago.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

we are on your side, obviously you thought it was a genuine sign based on your responses, whether you had a gut feeling it wasn't is now unimportant, you will most likely get your money back and be whole again,thanks for the heads up.
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

lol...knew the signs they were selling were the real deal...just dumd as a rock to think you could buy it for $30 with free shipping..lol...life moves on lesson learned...just saying dont buy any soda signs from china..especially new sellers that just opened up shop in the last couple months...

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

hello...just want to prove case and point on soda signs coming out of china...just looking at what sold from there today and noticed a MOUNTAIN DEW SODA SIGN FROM CHINA FOR $30 WITH FREE SHIPPING WHICH SOMEONE GOT SUCKERED INTO BUYING..BECAUSE IF YOU LOOK FURTHER INTO THE SAME MOUNTAIN DEW SIGN A LEGITE AND HONEST  SELLER BY THE NAME OF OLDJUNQUE SOLD THE EXACT SAME ONE FOR OVER $600...THE PERSON FROM CHINA COPIED HIS AD WITH THE SAME SIGN AND SAME PERSON HOLDING IT..LOL..CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF...MY QUESTION IS HOW COME EBAY DOSENT SEE THE SAME THING THAT THERE ALL SCAMMERS...DO NOT BUY ANY SODA SIGNS FROM CHINA THEY ARE ALL SCAMS..THANKS..

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@190969b wrote:

....MY QUESTION IS HOW COME EBAY DOSENT SEE THE SAME THING THAT THERE ALL SCAMMERS...

Because there are a billion plus active listings on any given day up on eBay.

eBay has the VeRO program, plus eBay bots can detect some problems, and some problems by using viewer reports made via the Report Listing link that's on every listing page, but eBay generally has to rely on buyer reports of Item-Not-As-Described to take action against bad sellers. 

-..-

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

have no idea what vero program & ebot are...but if those 2 things mentioned are to sort the good with the bad i suppose..then it seems to me dosent seem to work good...there has to be a lot of complaints from people about soda signs from china everyday you see more listed under buy it now. theres some on there right now unless they just sold...and they all seem to be only month old sellers...and there taking other peoples listings that already sold it  and posting it on there site...dont have much faith in ebay shutting them down in a timely manner...bottom line dont buy any soda signs from china..

Message 20 of 26
latest reply