difference in import charge

Hello, why is there such a difference in import charges when two items are similar.  I'm in Canada.  I like to buy a laptop from US.  The two laptops in question is of similar configuration and price.  Why is one item is charged an import charge of $ 24 and the other is $ 50?  TIA

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

marnotom!
Community Member
It's tough to answer this question properly without seeing the listings in question, but here's a bit of information that may help.

The accuracy of the GSP's calculation of "import charges" depends largely on the information the seller provides on the nature of the item. If the seller provides no information on the item's country of manufacture or origin, the GSP "bot" may apply an inappropriate duty calculation.

So, without seeing the listings, I'd have to conclude that for whatever reason, the GSP "bot" figures that the laptops have been manufactured in different countries, one of them subject to duty when imported into Canada, the other one not.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If the two items are new, they may have different MSR prices. Or the bots may have decided one was a different model of higher or lower value.

If they are used, the depreciation on used items will vary. A 50 year old Chanel suit still commands a hefty price, but a 50 year old homemade Chanel copy (still custom and hand made!) would be close to worthless.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply