eBay tracking status never changed?

leo-chl-2rjaswmitb
Community Member

Hi, this is my first time buying from eBay.( I don't really buy online either). I bought an item from Seoul, Korea to Toronto, Canada. Bought it on last Sunday, and the seller ship it next day and I got the tracking number.  After 5 days, I didn't expect the item to arrive in Canada but my tracking status stays the same.

Last scanned date : N/A.

Package Location: "Nothing here"

Shipping Status:  Shipping info received.

I used another website to track

Shipment en route

Incheon, South Korea

What does it mean?  Ship to Incheon or is on the way to Canada from Incheon? I got this day 2 days ago haven't changed yet.

eBay tracking Status hasn't changed yet, why?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: eBay tracking status never changed?

Going from Incheon (a major transportation hub) to Canada

Incheon has South Korea's primary international airport, and also has the second largest seaport in South Korea. Located next door to Seoul.

eBay only provides updates for some shipping companies.

-..-

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

There are a couple of things you should know.

First-- Tracking is a Seller Protection. It really does nothing for the buyer.

If a seller is involved in an Item Not Received Dispute, the tracking is what she uses to show the item was delivered.

And that's the end of the Dispute.

Second-- eBay gave you a window for delivery. If the purchase has not arrived by the last estimated date for delivery, you can open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

You have 30 days from that last day to open a Dispute.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

Third-- If for some reason you miss the deadline (30 days from delivery) you still have 180 days from Payment for a Dispute through Paypal.

Fourth-- If you also back your Paypal account with a credit card, which is a good idea for other reasons, you are also protected by your card's chargeback policy.

So.

Just mark the last expected date for delivery on your calendar and relax until then.

If you don't receive your purchase (and South Korea is very reliable, almost as good as Japan) come back to this thread for more detailed advice.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

As an aside, international tracking is very very expensive.

Many overseas sellers don't bother, because it raises their customer's costs and gives the customer no benefit.

And most people are honest.

Your protection is the Money Back Guarantee. Again, tracking is a Seller Protection.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Do you know how long does it takes for the package to get to Canada?  I thought they will ship the package right from Incheon to Canada. However, it has been 3 days, and they haven't update about the package. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Packages rarely go directly. For example, if I ship something from Calgary to Munich Germany, it would most likely go Calgary, Montreal, Frankfurt, Munich. (I've even noticed a stop in London a few times). Internationally, it all depends on where an item will clear customs before leaving their country and arriving in your country. As for the scanning some couriers scan more regularly than others. Then there is the point about those scans getting updated(downloaded) into different mail systems. This does not always consistently happen. There can also be issues with the scans between a mailing service and eBay's system. Wherever I check a scan for something mailed in Canada the tracking is much more current in canadapost.ca. Similar anything mailed within the USPS.com system.  See international tracking link attached. It may or may not have updated information for your package.

https://www.parcelhero.com/en-gb/parcel-tracking

-Lotz

PS. Unless your item is shipped with a Guaranteed service, delivery transit time is not written in stone. There can be delays for many assorted reasons.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@leo-chl-2rjaswmitb 

I sent a package out recently to Hawaii. Ebay's tracking shows it out for delivery. USPS shows it as picked up 2 days ago. 

-Lotz

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I checked the tracking number at around 2:30 PM and the package is now at Mississauga Sorting Centre 10:19 AM. I think I can get the parcel next week. I think it is impossible to get it today, right?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Tracking tells you the last place the tracking was recorded.

If you are in Mississauga, your carrier could be dropping the package off today.

If you are in Ottawa or Halifax, not likely.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@leo-chl-2rjaswmitb 

Not very likely. Mail, once it is sorted, would go out for delivery usually on the next business days. And it still may require customs clearing. If you were to even attempt to show up at a sort facility this is what you would see.

Image result for canada post sort facility in mississauga

A needle in a haystack scenario.

-Lotz

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I actually don't want them to deliver today or Monday. Tuesday will be better because I am really busy today and Monday. I don't know if I can answer the door(if it is door-to-door delivery). My item is quite big and I'm not sure if It can fit on the mailbox or not. Actually,  in Canada, there is a bigger mailbox for delivery only, and the postman will put the key in your mailbox so that you can open the bigger mailbox. I hope they can put it there so that I can get it anytime. I don't know what that call so I hope you understand what I mean. But, if I can't answer the door, I just need to go to the nearest post office to get my package, right?

Edit: I just search what happens during Custom Processing on Canada Post.

1. Package contents that are not on the prohibited items list and not subject to duties or taxes are released for delivery. Packages that require further inspection or duty and tax assessment are held for further action.

Can anyone tell me what kind of item requires duty or taxes?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@leo-chl-2rjaswmitb 

Currently, duties and taxes are charged on items valued over $20.00 Canadian. With the tracking number, you may be able to contact Canadapost and confirm if duties and taxes will be owed on delivery depending on whether your package has been processed. Regarding delivery, if you were to go to the Canada post website and enter the tracking information you could sign up for updates on your shipment. Most likely a tag would be dropped off in your community mailbox due to the size it would go to the nearest postal depot for pickup and/or any duties taxes owed. If delivery was attempted at your home address you can leave a note on your door explaining that you are not available and again they would leave a pick-up tag.

-Lotz

2.2.1 Customs duty and taxes  

Any item mailed into Canada is potentially subject to duty and/or taxes with few exceptions. The CBSA collects provincial sales taxes (PST) and Harmonized Sales Taxes (HST) according to the province of residence on most taxable imports valued at over $20CAD.

Customers wanting to learn more about mail imports or have questions regarding the collection of these taxes or for more information on mail imports, duty and/or taxes, should visit CBSA online at: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html.

A handling fee of $9.95CAD per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied. This fee is in line with the government’s efforts to help recover costs from those who benefit from services, and is similar to arrangements in the United States and other countries.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

If you (or any adult) are not home to accept a package, the carrier will leave a Notice telling you where and when to pick it up.

If you are suffering with the Community Mailboxes, instead of door to door delivery, and the parcel won't fit, the carrier will leave a Notice telling you where and when to pick it up.

Usually that is your closest Postal Outlet (often in back of the Shopper's Drug Mart) the next afternoon.

And you have about seven days to pick it up. Bring ID, but usually only the Notice  is necessary.

If CBSA processed it for import fees, the carrier or the PO clerk will charge you those plus a $9.95 service fee before handing over the purchase.  But most items under $100 Cdn ($75 US) don't get processed.

Be prepared though. Legally the CBSA is supposed to charge for anything over $20Cnd (~$15US).

If you don't want to get the parcel on Monday, just don't answer the doorbell. The carrier will probably leave the Notice instead.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply