purchasing silver

jaybyrd654
Community Member

I was looking at some silver from a seller in the US and noticed that they were only charging $6.50 for a ounce but the shipping charges were $35Cdn! Why on earth would anyone from Canada buy silver from the US and pay an outrageous shipping charge when an ounce of silver only costs about $22Cdn and you can get it at the local jewellers? You would have to be really, really dumb to make that purchase and why wold the seller even bother to try and sell when the shipping charges are so outrageous? Could it be a scam???

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

purchasing silver

What was the postal service offered for $35? That’s the cost of Priority or two-day service from a courier. There are times when a buyer might need that, or it may be a base amount and seven orders could ship for the price of one. You’d have to investigate or contact the seller in question.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

purchasing silver

(If you do contact the seller, you’ll need to rework how you pose your question. You’ll only antagonize the person if you ask it like this.)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

purchasing silver

mcrlmn
Community Member

Everything you said should answer your queries.

Move on.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

purchasing silver

Are they using GSP. That seems like it would explain the issue to me.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

purchasing silver

Most people when going to mail a parcel, if it's something they don't do are completely shocked by how much postage actually is.  Be it with Canadapost, USPS or from an International location. Postage is based on service options available by a particular postal service and then the one they feel safe in using to get your item to its final destination, size of package, cost for additional insurance/signature service and then added taxes or fuel surcharges that get applied. Some sellers do add a handling fee to cover their expenses with Ebay/Paypal and the packaging. So based on a number of factors actual/suggested charges will vary. Hope that clarifies your concerns somewhat.

-CM

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

purchasing silver

I think the scam is 6.50 for an ounce of silver, can you provide the item number,  the shipping charge is not outrageous for tracked shipping from the USA to Canada..

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

purchasing silver

"6.50 for an ounce of silver"?

Right on point...

https://silverprice.org/silver-price-canada.html

There's no disagreement about shipping cost.

Regardless, it's almost half the price to purchase silver at your local dealer or bullion exchange.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

purchasing silver

I'd certainly be looking for descriptions like German Silver or Tibetan Silver which are really base metal alloys.

For your use or interest here are Canada Post and USPS shipping costs.

Canada Post starts with the cheapest options.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

For USPS the highest price is first and to find the lowest you have to choose "Size and Shape" then scroll to the bottom of the revealed list.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Global Shipping Program (spit spit spit) is a Seller Protection program that will, if your purchase is over $20CDN (~$15USD), charge you duty (none on bullion I understand) Sales Tax (always) and a ~$5USD service fee before telling your seller to ship.

It offers no great benefit to the buyer of widely available or cheap products.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

purchasing silver

Could it be a scam???

The price of the 'silver' might be.

But the high international shipping could be his smartypants way of getting higher placement in Search by offering international shipping while discouraging actual international sales.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply