tracking pbi

mr.463
Community Member

where can i track a package shipped with pbi?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

tracking pbi

good question, i get a tracking number but no place to use it. very frustrating.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

totoro0926
Community Member
There is no tracking window linked. How can I tack my parcel ? I'm living in Canada.
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

As presently operated, it does seem to be uncommonly hard. One problem is the large number of different carriers involved in the actual delivery after customs clearance. In general it seems the only time you can track your package is after it has arrived.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

Since Pitney Bowes/ Global Shipping Program know that Paypal only requires Delivery Confirmation (and not tracking) to win an Item Not Recieved Dispute.

And since the only use for tracking/delivery confirmation is to help a seller win an Item Not Received Dispute.

The question becomes moot.

There is no reason for a buyer to pay extra for tracking or delivery confirmation. Except emotionally.

You have some sort of shipping invoice number from Pitney Bowes. They have no reason to lie about shipping. Relax. It's on its way and will arrive sometime in the next week or so.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that one. There IS a reason for tracking -- other than the emotional. I need to know if I should stay home to receive a package. If I miss the delivery, I have to walk quite a distance to the local post office to pick up what are often large or heavy packages. I've also had to rent a car to drive to the nearest UPS store to pick up a missed delivery. Tracking DOES matter.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

tracking is absolutely mandatory in my books.Any good seller would agree

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

"Any good seller would agree'

I do not.  Does that make me a "bad" seller?

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

@jontopia1000 wrote:

As a buyer, USPS and CP tracking has saved me time and money.

GSP tracking hasn't been near as good, too much lag on the updates and no email notice. 

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

@jontopia1000 wrote:

If you "have" to have tracking then please ask your seller for the cost for shipping with tracking before you purchase an item. In some cases, the shipping method indicated in the listing does include tracking but in other cases, it doesn't. If you are in Ontario, there are many of my items that I could send you for about $2 shipping. If you wanted tracking, the minimum shipping cost from Alberta would be $12. In my experience, buyers who want to pay an extra $10+ for tracking are in the minority.

For more expensive items, many sellers will automatically automatically use a service with tracking. But I know that there are many "good" sellers, as well as many buyers, that do not think tracking is mandatory.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

@chimera148 wrote:

@jontopia1000 wrote:

GSP tracking hasn't been near as good, too much lag on the updates and no email notice. 

I'm curious. How does tracking save you time or money?

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

jontopia

True for a seller. If a buyer, honest or scamming, claims that he has not received his parcel, tracking (actually Delivery Confirmation) will show that the package was delivered.

On low cost items however, insurance, postal, third party or self, is just as useful for the seller. If there is a non-delivery claim, the seller refunds and goes to the insurer to cover her costs.  And Paypal does not get involved, keeping the seller’s record clean.

Insurance, particulary self-insurance, which just means adding a few pennies to every asking price or shipping fee to cover the very occasional loss, is also much cheaper than either tracking or third party insurance.

And painful as it is to say so, a buyer is better off without Delivery Confirmation. If the item can be shown to be delivered, the buyer can't get a refund.

I need to know if I should stay home to receive a package. If I miss the delivery, I have to walk quite a distance -- skb001

That is reasonable, but does not affect every customer. Actually, I’m a little surprised that your delivery people are reliable enough to make staying home worthwhile.  But it is also only true for tracking. Delivery Confirmation is an after-the-fact system. The Confirmation is recorded when the delivery is made, and any earlier notices are accidental.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@chimera148 wrote:

@jontopia1000 wrote:

I'm curious. How does tracking save you time or money?

Basically it saves fuel costs, wear on my vehicle, travelling time to the PO, and waiting in a lineup to receive any packages.

Both CP and USPS will email me when the package has been delivered to the PO and if I like I can see when the package is at Canadian customs, so expect delivery in a day or two.

Recently I bought 5 items within a week, two were book purchases requested by my neighbour that no longer has an ebay account. The postal theft from mailboxes is quite common in our rural area near Vancouver, reportedly 10 times that of Ontario.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/leads+country+rate+theft+from+Canada+Post+superboxes/8186048/story....

I rent a PO box miles away and try to pick the items up fairly soon in case there are problems with the item and a return might be necessary.

Anyways with the tracking, only 2 trips to the PO were made.

If I purchase a clothing item I like to get it to the drycleaners the same day as postal pickup, so I can coordinate my time with the tracking feature and I guess the Delivery Confirmation is good for the seller.

Incidentally, the USPS package had  delivery time at 10 calendar days with excellent service and reasonable cost.

A GSP mailed book , which had been opened and gave poor tracking till CP had it in Canada, took 15 days.

A FedEx mailed book from Sweden took 22 days with very poor tracking.

The  Canadian untracked purchases from Ontario took 9 days lettermail.

So tracking is a benefit for me as a buyer and it's too bad CP charges are so high for tracking mail sent from Canada.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

....yes, it does.  A good seller cares about what the buyer wants

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

@nnikmb wrote:

....yes, it does.  A good seller cares about what the buyer wants

Ever stop to think that Pierre's buyers probably didn't want a shipping method for their items that would have been a lot more expensive?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

"cares about what the buyer wants..."

Most of my 9,000+ eBay buyers purchasing 105,000+ items on eBay over the years  all wanted quality products, at fair prices, packaged properly and carefully, delivered promptly and backed by an unconditional guarantee of satisfaction.

That is it.  That was the secret of my multi-million dollar business on eBay for fifteen years.

In my book "tracking" is a very expensive gimmick protecting some sellers to some degree. And that extra cost is ultimately paid by buyers.  That is not what my buyers want.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

Most of my 9,000+ eBay buyers purchasing 105,000+ items on eBay over the years  all wanted quality products, at fair prices, packaged properly and carefully, delivered promptly and backed by an unconditional guarantee of satisfaction.

That is it.  That was the secret of my multi-million dollar business on eBay for fifteen years.

Substitute 40,000+ items, penny ante business, and fourteen years, and the same goes for me. Never sent anything tracked apart from the occasional item so heavy it had to go by courier, where it was automatically built in.

There would be no point anyway, since I always took my buyers word for it about non received items and refunded them. Buyers came back time and time again because of good stuff and cheap shipping.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

Anyway back on topic is there a way to track it? I'm waiting for a parcel to come in and it has pbi tracking all I want it to get to the post office before my bf gets there and picks it up cause it's his Christmas present. And I don't want him opening it with out realizing he's not so post to. And since he checks the mail every second day you can see my need to track. So is there a way? Your debate doesn't really solve the question.
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

If it is going to be passed on to Canada Post,  there should be a CP tracking # in the Shipping Details when you check the PB # in your purchase history.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

tracking pbi

Once it is getting tracked in the CP system, you can subscribe to the email tracking updates on the CP website, which seems fairly prompt.   

Message 20 of 25
latest reply