As a Canadian paying in U.S. funds...

gerabeav
Community Member

Hello!

I'm a Canadian buying from the U.S. & does anyone know if you get charged twice for paying in U.S. funds?

I understand about I have to pay duty & the price (seems to steadily increase) from it's original price I am being billed.

When I look at my statement in my visa account, something that I had paid for has suddenly gone from $38 to $62 and this usually happens after I make a payment. 

Does anyone know what's going on!?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

marnotom!
Community Member

Is this a single payment you're referring to that has gone up that much or one where there are two charges associated with it, i.e. an item forwarded through the Global Shipping Program?

If you made payment through PayPal, log into your PayPal account and see what the associated charges are for your item in US dollars.

mcrlmn
Community Member

Don't use your credit card!

You will likely pay an additional transaction fee.

If your seller was using the Global Shipping Program, he would charge you shipping to Erlanger KY (DON'T PANIC!) where the GSP forwarding plant is.

And Pitney Bowes who run the GSP for eBay, will have charged you 'import fees' to cover the Canadian duty (anything over $20Cd/~$16USD) plus Canadian Sales Taxes (whether there is duty or not) and a small (~$5USD) service charge.

The PB charge is usually separate on the PP account page.

OTOH- if the seller gives you the option of two or more shipping services, you may have accidentally opted for the more expensive one.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Look at the Priority prices and also at the Shape and Size prices (scroll to the bottom for the cheapest First Class International Parcel rates).

And remember, tracking is a Seller Protection. For the buyer it is just the warm fuzzies.