Canadian buyers cannot buy used clothing (among other things) if sellers use GSP?!

I've been receiving messages of being unable to purchase certain items due to "seller restrictions".  I am in Canada and can clearly see the seller ships to Canada.  I have a clean account and no issues on my end.  I've been informed that if a seller uses Global Shipping Program, MANY MANY items are restricted from sale including USED CLOTHING.  Basically, a huge portion of Ebay items cannot be bought now by Canadian buyers.  **bleep**!  What could the benefits of using the GSP possibly be?  I purchased an item (nail polish) before knowing this and the purchase went through find and then it was seized by GSP.  Not returned to the seller, just gone. I was refunded by this seems like a serious flaw in this platform!  I don't know what my options are as a buyer now aside from trying to find items from sellers who are not using GSP.  Anyone else running into this?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html#prohibited

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Canadian buyers cannot buy used clothing (among other things) if sellers use GSP?!

It's very simple, buy from Canadian sellers.  No customs, no GSP.  Few, if any restrictions. Probably faster shipping.  If there is a problem, pick up the phone.  Couldn't be easier. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

What could the benefits of using the GSP possibly be

The Global Shipping Program is a Seller Protection program.

There are no noticeable benefits for Canadian buyers.

Some US sellers do not know they are enrolled. You can use Contact Seller to ask if they are aware of this.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, of course there are not nearly as many Canadian sellers as there are American. I always check for items I'm looking for via Canadian sellers first.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

This is strange, because I have bought many, many used clothing from sellers using GSP. What kind of clothes were you buying? Real fur maybe? Or maybe they were counterfeit brands... (the seller and yourself were probably in the dark about this, but it might be the reason why it cannot be purchased)

As for nail polish, I think you cannot ship anything with liquids in them through Canada Post. That might explain why your purchase was confiscated.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Here are the accepted used clothing by eBay and those restricted or banned:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/used-clothing.html

What are the guidelines?

Allowed

Allowed

• Diaper covers

Restricted

Restricted

• Most used clothing (shirts, pants, dresses, etc.), as long as it has been cleaned, the seller states that the item is used, and there is no inappropriate content in the listing

• Used cloth diapers can be sold, as long as the listing states clearly that the item has been properly cleaned.

• The following items, as long as there's no inappropriate content in the listing or any indication that the item was worn as underwear:

• Bathing suits

• Bras

• Pantyhose

• Spandex

• Wrestling singlets

• Vintage undergarments, as long as they are not modeled or recently worn

Not allowed

Not allowed

• Athletic supporters

• Briefs

• Boxer shorts

• Children's sized underwear

• G-strings

• Jock straps

• Thongs

• Panties

• Socks

• Any used clothing item with content we find to be inappropriate. We consider the overall content of the listing, including the description and images, when making this assessment.

• Used articles of clothing marketed or described as well-worn fetish items are strictly prohibited

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The item I'm trying to purchase is a pair of Lululemon pants. Upon more discussion with the seller, this item is actually new and listed as new, not used. So now I have no idea why I cannot buy it!
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I'm trying to buy Lululemon pants. No fur....... Upom more discussion with the seller, she pointed out that the item is in fact listed as New and shouldn't be subject to restriction but is.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

New Lululemon pants?

Hmm.

Maybe the seller has a personal restriction on non-US credit cards or Paypal accounts. She may not realize this exists.

Maybe there is a VeRO restriction on the seller's account. This should stop her from listing, though, not you from buying.

Maybe she has a Block on bidder's with Strikes for Unpaid Items.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, I’ve discussed possible restrictions for strikes (which I don’t have) and will ask her about some of these other possible limiting factors!
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Maybe he blocked buyers from Canada.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply