Hello All, Has anyone noticed that some US sellers are mixing shipping options via USPS and GSP

Hello Every body ...Has anyone noticed that some USA sellers are listing their items with both USPS and and GSP options on their site? I only buy from US sellers who offer the USPS method. I buy a lot of Carnival glass from a seller in Oregon. On one purchase he used the GSP method, without the knowledge of this method. I received them at my Post Office, paid the duty and brought the boxes home. Two weeks later, I get an invoice in my P.O box from Fedex for $34.00 !! I live on a farm and no one delivered these to my door. I receive my items via my P.O box, pay the applicable duty and carry on. I will NOT (Fedex or other courier) give anyone my municipal address. I phoned my seller in Oregon and he was surprised. He paid the Fedex invoice, because he did not know about this GSP method and used it only this one time. I still purchase from this seller to this day.

Lately I've noticed that in my searches, some US sellers now offer both shipping methods. When I ask them if they will ship items using the UPSP method they will comply...Has anyone noticed the same experience? .. Ace

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello All, Has anyone noticed that some US sellers are mixing shipping options via USPS and GSP

I received them at my Post Office, paid the duty and brought the boxes home. Two weeks later, I get an invoice in my P.O box from Fedex for $34.00 !!

Definitely not the GSP.

As previously said, they charge you "import fees" to cover duty, sales tax and a small (~$5) service fee, before the seller is even instructed to ship.

Those fees are what drive Canadian buyers nuts, because the duty free maximum of $20 has not changed since 1985.

It does sound like your seller used FedEx to ship and they, like most couriers including the GSP/Pitney Bowes, subcontracted the shipment to Canada Post.

That explains why you were paying duty (and sales tax) at the PO counter.

Then FedEx billed you for their outrageous service fee ($25 or more usually). Canada Post would charge you $9.95 at the PO counter if they were the primary shipper.

I agree, this is an Item Not As Described dispute.

But it may call for some negotiation, since in an NAD the item usually must be returned to the seller.

Your point should be a partial refund to cover the duty, sales tax and FedEx fee.

BTW your seller may have been trying to do you a favour. Because she doesn't see the FedEx fees (or the USPS/Canada Post fees for that matter) she may have thought the courier's shipping cost was lower.  Her mistake, your dismay.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@ace_4420 wrote:

...Has anyone noticed that some USA sellers are listing their items with both USPS and and GSP options on their site? I only buy from US sellers who offer the USPS method. ... On one purchase he used the GSP method, without the knowledge of this method. I received them at my Post Office, paid the duty and brought the boxes home. Two weeks later, I get an invoice in my P.O box from Fedex for $34.00 !! I live on a farm and no one delivered these to my door. I receive my items via my P.O box, pay the applicable duty and carry on.... I phoned my seller in Oregon and he was surprised. He paid the Fedex invoice, because he did not know about this GSP method and used it only this one time. ...

If the purchase was really sent via the Global Shipping Program (GSP) then FEDEX would NOT have been billing you. Sounds like the seller used FEDEX to ship, not GSP or the USPS.

GSP is managed by Pitney-Bowes and they charge their fees upfront -- they do not mail you an invoice.

Sellers are allowed to exempt Canada from GSP (but they have to set up the listing to exclude Canada).

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html#offering

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It sounds like your seller used FedEx and because you live in a rural area that FedEx does not deliver to remote or rural locations, it was handed off to Canada Post, as is the process followed by couriers with orders sent to remote or rural locations. FedEx also does not collect import fees at the door, they bill you later and if you don't pay, you're sent to Collections. 

Contact your seller and/or ebay about an Item Not as Described of you paid for Global Shipping handling and got something else instead. If that's the case, you essentially paid your import fees upfront and after-the-fact and you're owed back that money you paid to Pitney Bowes at least. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I received them at my Post Office, paid the duty and brought the boxes home. Two weeks later, I get an invoice in my P.O box from Fedex for $34.00 !!

Definitely not the GSP.

As previously said, they charge you "import fees" to cover duty, sales tax and a small (~$5) service fee, before the seller is even instructed to ship.

Those fees are what drive Canadian buyers nuts, because the duty free maximum of $20 has not changed since 1985.

It does sound like your seller used FedEx to ship and they, like most couriers including the GSP/Pitney Bowes, subcontracted the shipment to Canada Post.

That explains why you were paying duty (and sales tax) at the PO counter.

Then FedEx billed you for their outrageous service fee ($25 or more usually). Canada Post would charge you $9.95 at the PO counter if they were the primary shipper.

I agree, this is an Item Not As Described dispute.

But it may call for some negotiation, since in an NAD the item usually must be returned to the seller.

Your point should be a partial refund to cover the duty, sales tax and FedEx fee.

BTW your seller may have been trying to do you a favour. Because she doesn't see the FedEx fees (or the USPS/Canada Post fees for that matter) she may have thought the courier's shipping cost was lower.  Her mistake, your dismay.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Actually since you are legally responsible for any duty or sales taxes charged, the negotiation should only be over the FedEx fee.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply