How can a seller list a product, change the listing after I buy it, send me half, and say sorry ?

I do a "Buy it Now" purchase, use PayPal, then while I'm waiting for the purchase to arrive, seller changes the listing. Now only offers one half of what I bought (for same price). When the item is delivered, it is only half of what I ordered. I contact seller, and he says: sorry, my mistake. He will not send me the rest. He has offered refund, but I don't want my money back, I want the tools I bought (and desperately need).  Why does eBay allow this kind of dishonest business practice to continue? It is not my fault this seller does not have any business sense. He knew that his price was too low when he first listed it. He is a dishonest merchant.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How can a seller list a product, change the listing after I buy it, send me half, and say sorry ?

this seller does not have any business sense.

Sounds as if you have spotted the basic problem here.

Is this a new seller?

Does he have multiples of the item you ordered?

Does he want the items he did send returned before he refunds you?

Is he in Canada?

I doubt you will get your purchase. You can get your money back.

The last question is the tricky one.

If the seller is in Canada, eBay will probably require him to send you a shipping label for the return of the unsatisfactory goods, before forcing the refund.

If he is not in Canada, he CAN NOT send you a return shipping label. This cannot happen internationally. So you would have to return the items on your own dime, with Confirmation of Delivery, which is expensive. Then you hope that he refunds not only your original payment but also the cost of return shipping.

Which is not likely to happen if I can read between the lines of your post.

So your best bet is to keep eBay out of it, accept the refund and keep the partial shipment.

Then buy elsewhere.

You still have 60 days from purchase to leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. Don't leave FB until you have your refund. That would be like throwing caltrops in front of the horses.

Second best is an Item Not As Described Dispute through eBay or Paypal. But there is the question of return shipping and you will not be allowed to leave feedback.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

this seller does not have any business sense.

Sounds as if you have spotted the basic problem here.

Is this a new seller?

Does he have multiples of the item you ordered?

Does he want the items he did send returned before he refunds you?

Is he in Canada?

I doubt you will get your purchase. You can get your money back.

The last question is the tricky one.

If the seller is in Canada, eBay will probably require him to send you a shipping label for the return of the unsatisfactory goods, before forcing the refund.

If he is not in Canada, he CAN NOT send you a return shipping label. This cannot happen internationally. So you would have to return the items on your own dime, with Confirmation of Delivery, which is expensive. Then you hope that he refunds not only your original payment but also the cost of return shipping.

Which is not likely to happen if I can read between the lines of your post.

So your best bet is to keep eBay out of it, accept the refund and keep the partial shipment.

Then buy elsewhere.

You still have 60 days from purchase to leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. Don't leave FB until you have your refund. That would be like throwing caltrops in front of the horses.

Second best is an Item Not As Described Dispute through eBay or Paypal. But there is the question of return shipping and you will not be allowed to leave feedback.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Why has it been happening too much lately that I bid in Canadian funds. But after auction ends I am charged in US funds. I am now charged with more than I bid? How can seller be held accountable for changing the amount owed?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply