How long would it take for the refund from PayPal back to my credit card ?

Hello there

I have bought a used phone yesterday from a seller in US. After I paid him by PayPal via my bank credit card. But I then realized I picked the wrong size, so I send a request to cancel this transaction. He was so nice and willing to refund me right away.

Even though I got a refund on my PayPal but my credit card already charges me, may I know how long would it take for the refund show up in my credit card ?

Please kindly advise ASAP.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Even though I got a refund on my PayPal

But you didn't get a refund on your PP?

Did you check to see if the credit card charge has been offset by a credit?

Because there are two banking systems involved there can be delays-- but my thought when you say there is no money in either the card or Paypal is that the seller has not refunded.

Give him 24 hours and ask again.

Don't worry about your credit card. The charge may show there, but if you pay off the balance each month, you will not pay any interest on it.

Depending on the date your credit card bills you, that may be a week or a whole month.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Usually when a Paypal account is backed by a credit card, any refunds are sent to the credit card, bypassing PP entirely.

Because what was happening was your credit card made you a loan, which was used to pay the seller, who returned the payment, so it should have immediately gone back to repay the credit card loan.

My head hurts.

If you see money on your PP account, and there is still a charge on your credit card, transfer the PP balance to your bank account and use it to pay off the card before any interest comes due. It may be easiest to do this at the teller.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

the problem is that no money had been credited back to my PP but my credit card was being charged already.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Even though I got a refund on my PayPal

But you didn't get a refund on your PP?

Did you check to see if the credit card charge has been offset by a credit?

Because there are two banking systems involved there can be delays-- but my thought when you say there is no money in either the card or Paypal is that the seller has not refunded.

Give him 24 hours and ask again.

Don't worry about your credit card. The charge may show there, but if you pay off the balance each month, you will not pay any interest on it.

Depending on the date your credit card bills you, that may be a week or a whole month.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@popychogokin wrote:

I have bought a used phone yesterday from a seller in US. After I paid him by PayPal via my bank credit card. But I then realized I picked the wrong size, so I send a request to cancel this transaction. He was so nice and willing to refund me right away.

Even though I got a refund on my PayPal but my credit card already charges me, may I know how long would it take for the refund show up in my credit card ?

It can take several days to show up on your credit card.  You'll have to keep checking your card (some banks only do credit updates once per day) to see when it shows up.

-..-

Message 5 of 5
latest reply