Is there Scam sellers on eBay?.....How can we tell if a seller is a scammer?

I bought a lot of cloth items from a seller which I thought it was a good price.  The transactions went through normally and he marked the items as shipped, after a few days all the seller's listings were removed by eBay without given a reason for it, it only said "we have to remove this listing for various reasons and if you already paid for any merchandise you have nothing to worry about it".....What do we do in cases like this?....How do I know that he really shipped the items and he didn't just marked it as shipped, he did not provide any shipping track numbers, he never answers to messages.....Can eBay or PayPal get our money back from Scam Sellers?......I would really appreciate your advice!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@zouzounia123 wrote:

I bought a lot of cloth items from a seller which I thought it was a good price.  The transactions went through normally and he marked the items as shipped, after a few days all the seller's listings were removed by eBay without given a reason for it, it only said "we have to remove this listing for various reasons and if you already paid for any merchandise you have nothing to worry about it".....What do we do in cases like this?....How do I know that he really shipped the items and he didn't just marked it as shipped, he did not provide any shipping track numbers, he never answers to messages.....

If the seller is not registered on eBay anymore then quickest method is to open a case on PayPal for item-not-received, and mention that the seller is no longer registered on ebay.

Otherwise you have to wait until the last estimated delivery date before you can open a case on eBay.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@zouzounia123 wrote:

I bought a lot of cloth items from a seller which I thought it was a good price.  The transactions went through normally and he marked the items as shipped, after a few days all the seller's listings were removed by eBay without given a reason for it, it only said "we have to remove this listing for various reasons and if you already paid for any merchandise you have nothing to worry about it".....What do we do in cases like this?....How do I know that he really shipped the items and he didn't just marked it as shipped, he did not provide any shipping track numbers, he never answers to messages.....

If the seller is not registered on eBay anymore then quickest method is to open a case on PayPal for item-not-received, and mention that the seller is no longer registered on ebay.

Otherwise you have to wait until the last estimated delivery date before you can open a case on eBay.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

How can we tell if a seller is a scammer?

It can be difficult.

The first clue is the proverb Caveat Emptor-- Let the Buyer Beware.

If it sounds too good to be true-- it probably is.

Read the feedback.

If there is negative or neutral feedback, is there a pattern indicated? Like slow or no delivery, not as described, poor communication.

But to be fair there are some people who cannot be satisfied so look at the percentage too.

A seller with 100 FB and 5 negs is a Bad Seller.

A seller with 100,000 FB and 50 negs is a darn good seller.

A Red Flag is a seller who seems to have a lot of feedback, but it is :

• mostly for buying
  • over a year old

This is a possible hacked account. A scammer has found an account that looks good but which has basically been abandoned.

the seller's listings were removed by eBay without given a reason

Their lawyer's would tell them that. No reason means no libel suits.

Here's the good news.

The scammer has not seen a penny of your money.

New, occasional and questionable sellers have a Hold on customer payments against their good behaviour as sellers.

This annoyed the hockey sticks out of honest newbies and returning sellers, but it makes a good Buyer Protection.

If any of the above red flags appear, open a Paypal Dispute right away.

If none, it may be worth waiting for the last estimated delivery date before opening an eBay dispute.

Best wishes.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I would also wait a little bit longer. Where were the items shipped from?

Message 4 of 4
latest reply