Is there anything I can do to recover from a purchase gone wrong?

I purchased an android tablet from seller.  The unit arrived on time but was totally dead. I contacted the seller and he agreed to send me a replacement. But he insisted the shipping of the replacement would take a very long time (30 days) and without any tracking number.  I accepted that. However the replacement never came after about 60 days of waiting. Every time I complained, he kept asking me to wait a bit longer.  I feel like he tricked me into waiting so long that the ebay money back guarantee expired on me. Going thru all the ebay options, there are no options to select or resolve a problem like this that I can find.  It looks like I have  lost every penny now.  Is there any recourse for me?

Thanks,

Allen

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you paid with paypal then you have 180 days (6 months) from time of purchase for an Item-Not-As-Described case -- but you may need to return it to the sender with tracking,

If you do need to send it back, make sure to buy the shipping online from Canada Post to save some $$ -- discounts on tracked packet are available if you get a free Canada Post Solutions for Small Business membership (being a business is not required). The cost will still be pricey, just not as much as over the counter rates.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You sold your "soul" to the devil as a buyer. Yes, you're scamed. If the goods were damage, you should opened a Item not as described. NO replaces!!

Try to go to paypal and open a case if the 180 days left are avaiable to fill a Item not described case".

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If you paid with paypal then you have 180 days (6 months) from time of purchase for an Item-Not-As-Described case -- but you may need to return it to the sender with tracking,

If you do need to send it back, make sure to buy the shipping online from Canada Post to save some $$ -- discounts on tracked packet are available if you get a free Canada Post Solutions for Small Business membership (being a business is not required). The cost will still be pricey, just not as much as over the counter rates.

-..-

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You were played. 

Never accept an offer of a replacement from a seller unless that seller is someone you've dealt with in the past and previously trust from other positive experiences AND they can ship with tracking AND the item can be delivered within about ten business days. All three of those criteria must be met before you should entertain that replacement offer. As you have now discovered, the offer to replace is most often merely a stall tactic designed to make you lose your ebay MoneyBack Guarantee.

What can you do now? Leave appropriate feedback on ebay if the option is still available and move to paypal Buyer Protection.

Don't get into a big discussion, and escalate as soon as possible. Pay firm attention to the instructions and deadlines. If you blow one, paypal doesn't look kindly on appeals. You will, however, be obligated to return the item to the seller VIA AIRMAIL WITH TRACKING would could cost $50 to $100. 

This is a valuable learning experience. 

p.s. If the first device was a total hunk of junk, did you really think the replacement (if it had ever arrived) would have been better? I'd have to take a hard pass on that one. I only spend real money on items from sellers that I trust or strangers whose feedback is impeccable. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The Paypal Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

The first suggestion (NOT a command) is to contact the seller.

You already did that so ask PP to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

Unfortunately, PP demands that the buyer* return an unwanted item to the seller with Confirmation of Delivery.

If you paid more than $650 for the tablet, get Signature Confirmation.

Actually, with this sketchey guy, pay the extra $1.50 no matter what the value of the tablet.

You can get discounted shipping here:

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/snapship/default.page

You may need a Small Business Solutions number to get the discount on this service. It's free and instant.

Once you can show PP that the shipment has been delivered, you will be refunded.

Whether Mr. Smartypants likes it or not.

You are covered by two or even three separate Buyer Protections when buying on eBay.

It is polite to start with the seller, but NEVER accept an offer of a replacement.

Either it will not appear or it will be no better than the original.

You want money back only.

And that takes only seconds for the seller to send.

Your first Protection is eBay.

You have 30 days after delivery (or last estimated date for delivery) to open a Dispute.

Your second is Paypal.

You have 180 days from payment to open a Dispute.

And if you back your PP account with a credit card**, you can use their chargeback service. Terms vary.

*EBay which has a much shorter deadline for Claims, insists that the seller pay for return shipping in Not As Described cases.

** It is always a good idea to back your PP with a credit card. Not only for the chargeback provision, which is rarely used anyway, but also because your (honest) seller gets paid instantly with no clearance delays, and there is no risk of back overdraft fees.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I got lots of good advice from everyone. Thank you very much.
I will go to paypal and try to get a refund.
I would send the bad unit back to the seller but so far he will not give me an address to send it to.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

PayPal doesn't mess around. They will require the seller to give you that information or make it available to you. Return postage is, however, at your expense and you must have tracking or you will be ineligible for your refund.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Never accept a replacement

I would never wait any more than 2 weeks after a seller's delivery estimate to initiate closure of the transaction.

Typically, once the seller is messaged, if  the issue is unresolved after a couple of days, I escalate to claim.

Don't forget to leave civil. appropriate feedback.

You'd be surprised at how fast that gets a poor or lazy seller's attention.

If the item disappears from your 'Purchases' page, go to the bottom of your 'Feedback Profile' page and select 'Leave Feedback'.

https://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?LeaveFeedback2

Message 8 of 8
latest reply