Will i have to pay import fees and provincial taxes if i am buying something from china?

lucvalsa_0
Community Member

I want to get a GPD Win for 385 CAD but i am afraid for how much the import charges are. They don't mention it anywhere at all, and when i click check-out, they don't even charge provincial tax for quebec. The shipping is free btw.

If i do have to pay import fees, how much % do you guys estimate?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Will i have to pay import fees and provincial taxes if i am buying something from china?

@lucvalsa_0 wrote:

I want to get a GPD Win for 385 CAD but i am afraid for how much the import charges are. They don't mention it anywhere at all, and when i click check-out, they don't even charge provincial tax for quebec. The shipping is free btw.

If i do have to pay import fees, how much % do you guys estimate?

Importing from China:  duty, sales tax and handling fee

Handling fee for the post office is $9.95

Sales tax should be 15% (GST+QST)

Duty depends on category of item. Check out this cost estimator:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Be very careful when buying from China especially if you need it soon.

-..-

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

When you import anything that has a value over $20Cdn, you are supposed to pay duty and Sales Taxes. The carrier will also charge you a service fee (which has several names including brokerage and import fee).

On small inexpensive items mostly under $100, CBSA and Canada Post tend to ignore this, but couriers (like UPS) are legally required to charge you.

The sneaky one is FedEx, who will had over the parcel and charge you later.

Another problem with buying from overseas is what happens if there is a problem.

You are covered by Buyer Protection by both eBay and Paypal. If you also back your PP account with a credit card, that's a third level of protection.

But if you have to return the purchase to an overseas supplier, it can be very expensive. Sometimes more than you paid for the item and shipping!

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Also it's a hassle.

Read the seller's feedback. If he has 100% positive great, but even there click on the number of negatives* and look for patterns - poor quality, bad communication, slow delivery.

*Because a good seller with 100,000 FB may have 100 negs or even more. Ratios. He's still darn good, and some people do not want to be satisfied.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply