Seller refuses to buy Shipping Label, now refuses shipping cost.

bvco5326
Community Member

Hello, I am new to the eBay Community, and really need some help. I recently had the bright idea to buy some used headphones on the eBay and turns out to be really bad.  Seller said it was like new with no sight of use but fingerprints, which turns out to be lies and it was full of animal hairs. I opened a case and went on as usual, and unexpectedly seller refused to cover ship item. I asked the seller to cover and they only replied " Open a case" which is redundant since I did already, after that seller no longer response to my questions. I tried so hard to contact eBay help center, but there is no way to call them at this point, the option is not there to call them or have them call me.  On the help center when I clicked on that item it only shows the link to open case. Another couple days passed, eBay alerted  me to ship the item back, so I did and it comes up to $28 usd, and its $2 cheaper than the original shipping. I sent a message to seller and here's their response, "I stated open a return request. We would provide a label that would cost around 8 dollars to us. Im not reimbursing the $28." It's just a lie after other, I opened the case, they refused to buy the shipping label at the first place, and didn't reply when asked, I couldn't have closed and reopened. The seller shipped it in a big box originally and as eBay guidelines stated I had to send back like it came. And there is no way that it could cost $8 to ship it back from Ontario, Canada to California, USA as the number eBay Shipping Calculator came up, my shipping cost and their shipping cost are all very close.  After reading their message, I tried my luck in help center, and the Call options actually came back after shipping. After telling the operator  about my situation, she told me that I should have called when seller first refused shipping, which I had to explain again and again that there is no such option before I ship the item as it would only give link to open case.  I told her the seller is trying just get back at me for returning and shipping is not possible to be $8,  and she said that the only thing she could do is to send seller a message about my complain, at which point they can agree to pay the full amount or pay the amount of $8 they made up. Really need advices on this case, any information on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Well, no.

This is a Not As Described case,  and the seller is required to send you return postage.

(If he is in the USA he may not be able to send you a Return Shipping Label but he could send the cost of return shipping using Paypal's Send Money service._

If he does not, he loses the dispute.

Unfortunately he conned you into sending the  headphones back.

Did you use a Tracked Service?

The cheapest is usually Tracked Packet.

If you did you should go to the case, ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim, enter the tracking number that shows delivery (not just shipping, delivery) and if he does not refund you, eBay will and then go after him for their money. And he gets a Defect on his selling account which is a Big Deal.

So - Tracked service?

You win.

Cheapest service, no tracking?

You lose.

That's eBay.

And Paypal usually goes along with eBay's decisions.

Did you back your Paypal account with a credit card?

If so, phone the 1-800 number on the back of the card and start a chargeback.

In addition to the dates and transaction numbers from eBay and Paypal, you should have the reciept for your returned parcel handy. Some cards will accept proof of shipping instead of proof of delivery.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Hi.

A few years ago I paid for an item+shipping to the tune of $375.00 on E-bay. I never received it. After no response from anybody to my inquiries I was able track down the seller outside of ebay to a cell phone. I had it out with him because he was avoiding contact. He finally assured me he would send me another one and e-mail me a tracking number. I had paid him for insured postage and being lost in the mail is no excuse to avoid me.After another month no item just a bogus tracking number. I simply sat down and wrote a long letter to my credit card explaining what happened. They responded quickly and reversed all charges. They had contacted the seller and he refused to talk to them about the matter so bingo got my money. So keep a cool head, contact your credit card provider and explain the whole issue to them.

you should have never shipped it back, without the seller acknowledging a return, if they didn't send a return label. they should have at least sent a paypal payment to cover shipping..

and if you never heard anything from the seller, you should have opened an item not as described case, then if you heard nothing back, you could have ebay escalate it for you..

don't know what else to say..

EBay /Paypal should be able to refund your original payment

But they didn't touch your return shipping-- so you are out that.
No way to get the $%^&*&* seller to pony up that- take the $8 on general principles.

You have 60 days from purchase to leave appropriate feedback.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

bvco5326
Community Member

After double checking everything, I kind of realized what he is trying to do. First he refused to pay, so I have to ship myself. After I shipped, he played dumb and made up the $8 so he would be able to refund that much. Here is the cost by eBay, I guessed the sizes but it should be accurate since cost only  goes up greatly when increase in weight not size. So he clearly lied and hopes that I don't find out. I'm not sure what is going to happen, but hopefully eBay would do the right thing. Take cautions when sellers refuse return shipping and reply weird answers to your questions.