Seller requesting more money

Hi,
I just bought an item and paid for it right away.
The seller contacted me

If they said that they made an error in shipping quote and apologized for that, I would probably pay this extra amount, after all it's not much. But with this wording I feel like it's an extortion (tiny one). Perhaps I am overreacting, but why should I pay anything extra?
Should I just tell them to cancel my order? Or what are my actions?

Thank you for any feedback.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sometimes it could really be an honest mistake by the seller by not having the shipping calculator set up properly. Is the seller fairly new or experienced?

Then it kinda depends on whether or not you want this item badly, and whether or not it's offered for a comparable price by other sellers. If this is a one-of-a-kind item that you really want, then sucking it up and paying for the extra shipping might be your only option. Though I would leave appropriate feedback saying that the seller miscalculated shipping and did not honour the shipping rate the listing offered. I do think that sellers are actually not supposed to ask for more shipping money than what was stated in the listing though, so hopefully someone else can provide more info on it.

If you don't really need the item badly, then I'd tell the seller that you'd like to cancel the order as you find the item to be more expensive than expected with the extra shipping added. If you already paid, ask them to refund you, and then go from there.

PS. I found it funny how since the mod has removed the message your seller sent you, your post became hard to interpret without the full context. But I saw your post before it was edited so I knew what the content was (seller messaged the buyer saying that the shipping was a few more dollars than listed and asked the buyer to pay more, in a rather blunt manner). Hopefully my answer is helpful to you. 

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Technically, the shipping cost the seller posts to your location is the most he can charge.

"To your location" is important, since if we are shopping on a foreign site, like dotCOM or dotDE, we will see badges like "Free Shipping"  that apply only to buyers in that country.

It is important that as buyers, we check that Shipping to our country matches the hype.

But we are all grownups here. 

The Buyer can request (and pay for) upgraded service.

The Buyer can request (and be refunded for) downgraded* service.

The Seller can NOT request more money, but some do and some very very understanding customers will pay it. And some get upset and cancel the entire sale.

Every seller has lost money on a sale because she underestimated the cost of shipping, especially on Flat Rate shipping when postal rates change.

If we are calm about it, it usually works out in the end.

Usually.

*This is usually a scam, requesting lower and untracked service followed in a week or so with an Item Not Received Dispute. New sellers are often warned about this.

I find it upsetting that the mods took out the seller's message. If there was nothing in it pointing to a particular seller, I find it really silly to delete that part.... geez!

But it is within your right as a buyer who made the purchase in good faith to ask they ship it as it is. 

Sellers aren't allowed to ask for more money post-transaction.

If they made a mistake (as sellers sometimes do with a postage quote, even me) they must eat the cost.

Of course, a seller may request a cancellation. You can call ebay to complain about it, or leave the appropriate feedback on the transaction.