The item bought is not as advertised

Hello,

I bought an item on eBay and I was very pleased until I realized that what I bought was not as advertized.  I was sure I was buying a turquoise bead necklace and it is not, it is made with agata, mentionned in small prints further in the text.  I wrote them a note saying that I was confused by their advertissement as the big title said: "Turquoise bead necklace" .  I told them I did not want the necklace anymore.  They wrote back as if I did not send them an email at all.  I wrote again to explain that I was not buying it as it is not as advertised, the stones are not turquoise as mentionned in big letters on the item.  They replied this time saying that they would let it go if I give them a five star rating, for eBay I did not want to do that as it would be wrong, as I don't think they should have a five star rating and I felt pressure in doing so.  I really think this is false advertisement.  I am sending you a copy of the last email they sent me.  I would send you all the email shared if I could have an email address to do that.

I think eBay should check this seller, I wonder if they often do this kind of pressure on customer.  I prefer being on a no buy list on eBay than encourage this seller. I must say that I was always pleased with my purchases on eBay but not this time. 

Mooncel

ps. I can't add the copy of the last email as it is a picture and not accepted as an attachment.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@mooncel2014 wrote:

Hello,

I bought an item on eBay and I was very pleased until I realized that what I bought was not as advertized.  I was sure I was buying a turquoise bead necklace and it is not, it is made with agata, mentionned in small prints further in the text.  I wrote them a note saying that I was confused by their advertissement as the big title said: "Turquoise bead necklace" .  I told them I did not want the necklace anymore.  They wrote back as if I did not send them an email at all.  I wrote again to explain that I was not buying it as it is not as advertised, the stones are not turquoise as mentionned in big letters on the item.  They replied this time saying that they would let it go if I give them a five star rating, for eBay I did not want to do that as it would be wrong, as I don't think they should have a five star rating and I felt pressure in doing so.  I really think this is false advertisement.  I am sending you a copy of the last email they sent me.  I would send you all the email shared if I could have an email address to do that.

I think eBay should check this seller, I wonder if they often do this kind of pressure on customer.  I prefer being on a no buy list on eBay than encourage this seller. I must say that I was always pleased with my purchases on eBay but not this time. 

Mooncel

ps. I can't add the copy of the last email as it is a picture and not accepted as an attachment.

As an aside, you cannot share the details of verbatim private communication within a public forum, it's against the ebay Community Discussion policy.

It's likely that this is one of those cases which happens in jewelry where a colour was mistaken as a mineral or stone. Like gold as a colour versus gold as a metal. Your seller probably could and should have done a better job clarifying this, as you could have done a better job reading the whole item description.

No matter, if it is unpaid, ask for a Cancel Order on the basis it is not what you want.

If it is paid and not shipped, ask for a Cancel Order and Refund.

If it is already shipped or already received, you will have to go to the Resolution Centre and ask to make a Return. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

These are forums for buyers and sellers. eBay support staff does not read these forums.

Click on help and contact and go to the "Need our assistance?" box at the bottom of the page to talk to eBay support.

-..-

Have you paid for it yet? The seller can not force you to pay.

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

If you have not paid, ask for a Cancel Order request.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I bought an item on eBay

Did you pay?

Did you receive it?

and I was very pleased until I realized that what I bought was not as advertized.

I was sure I was buying a turquoise bead necklace and it is not, it is made with agata, mentionned in small prints further in the text.  

Did you realize this after you received it?

Did you realize this because after you paid you read the description?

Did you realize this because after you ordered the item but before you paid you read the description?

I told them I did not want the necklace anymore.... I wrote again to explain that I was not buying it as it is not as advertised,

Were you asking for a cancellation?

Were you asking for a refund on a paid item?

All these are important questions.

If you have not paid, you cannot 'cancel' the purchase. Buyers can only request that the Seller cancel the purchase.

The seller can end the transaction two ways.

They can cancel using "buyer remorse" as the reason. The buyer is free of the transaction and can leave feedback.

The seller can open an Unpaid Item Dispute. The buyer gets a Strike which makes it more difficult to buy on eBay in future* and cannot leave feedback.

They replied this time saying that they would let it go if I give them a five star rating,

This is called 'Feedback Extortion' and is not allowed.

Also you are dealing with proven liars.

I really think this is false advertisement.

You are right, sorta.

The trouble is that you did not read the entire description. And 'turquoise' is a colour as well as a stone.

If you have the jewelry in hand, get your money back.

You can open an Item Not As Described dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

The first suggestion is to contact the seller. You have already done this so escalate the dispute to a Claim.

The seller will be required to send you a Return Shipping Label. If they don't, or once the item shows as delivered, you will be refunded.

You will not be able to leave feedback.

If you have not paid, you have two choices.

Pay, receive the unwanted item, and go through the Dispute mechanism.

Don't pay, and hope that the seller does not open the Unpaid Item Dispute.

If the seller does nothing, the transaction will eventually close on its own, in about 60-90 days.

In future, don't buy without reading the ENTIRE description.

Don't believe that the listing you read on a mobile is complete. Before buying read the whole description on a laptop or desktop.

Read the description, not just the title and picture.

*Most sellers do not want to deal with deadbeats and Block bidders with Strikes.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@mooncel2014 wrote:

Hello,

Mooncel

As an aside, you cannot share the details of verbatim private communication within a public forum, it's against the ebay Community Discussion policy.

It's likely that this is one of those cases which happens in jewelry where a colour was mistaken as a mineral or stone. Like gold as a colour versus gold as a metal. Your seller probably could and should have done a better job clarifying this, as you could have done a better job reading the whole item description.

No matter, if it is unpaid, ask for a Cancel Order on the basis it is not what you want.

If it is paid and not shipped, ask for a Cancel Order and Refund.

If it is already shipped or already received, you will have to go to the Resolution Centre and ask to make a Return. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply