Why pay import charges at checkout?

This stealthy and grubbish attempt to overcharge customers with "import charges" is really starting to annoy me and has definitely impacted the way I shop on eBay.

I have deliberately NOT PURCHASED, nor even bidded on, a number of items during the past month because of this flagrant wallet-rifling policy.

Let me pay the fees when they arrive! Or at least give me a choice to do so! 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I also do not purchase from a seller using this method "import charges" as I to believe it is unreasonable and a money grab

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Let sellers know directly that you will not buy from them because they are enrolled in global shipping. Many buyers are complaining about this service and rightly so. The extra money is not going to the sellers so don't blame them but blame ebay.

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

kaffalp
Community Member

ebay sucks.....greedy greedy greedy....hope they go bankrupt

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I can only agree, as a buyer DO NOT buy items sold with this new import charges program, normally in Sweden we NEVER pay any import charges of items with a total cost ( Item + shipping ) of less than $125  , now will pay for everything ?  to who ?  ebay ?

As a seller do not use this feature, international buyers will not bid on that item ( if he have tried it before ) because of this you as a seller will get less money for many items as they are more worth internationally , example,  one Coleman 200a lantern found any where in the states for approx $20  could sell internationally for around $ 100  give or take $35 , what would an us buyer pay ?  $ 45 ?

Also with this program, Old gasoline lanterns will be confiscated in the US, before export because it says Gasoline somewhere on the package, and they will trick you to believe that it's the Swedish customs that have restricted rules for lanterns up on import BULL**bleep** !

It's the aircraft regulations in the US !

You as a seller will not get you purchased item ( already happend to me  item # 111157125524 ) and the seller have to pay the retur freight or loose the item and the money as ebay refounds the buyer.

This is really bad news for collectors and international sellers !!!!!!!! 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It is really annoying, those extra charges, I have decided not to buy anything more from Ebay USA, as the price almost doubles. I live in Sweden. For example a bought some handspun yarn from a lady, the yarn was 50 dollars, the shipping was 20 dollars, fine ok, but then the import charges was 40 dollars, I just could not believe it, but I had to pay of course. Then I bought a pieces of fabric and the same story...

I now have to exclude all US-sellers, I just cannot afford it.

I now only look at Chinese, British and German items, I can buy them without this excessive cost of "charges".

Ebay just got a lot smaller 😞

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Completely agree, I was looking at buying a winter jacket and the import fees worked out to be. 44 % of the value of the item . Worse is that there is shipping on top of that!! I took a big time pass on this and will no longer be buying from sellers who engage in this flagrant cash grab. The only question I have is whether or not it is optional for sellers to choose this .
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I think this import charges program should be optional for the buyer, as I have purchased trading cards on ebay for a long time for the same low and high prices and never had to pay these before, so ebay claims its in our best interest, but really its not because I never pay import charges so why would I pay ahead of time for a cost I never get charged for, doesn't make sense.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply