same item on 3 different sellers for sale over past month, how can I be sure this is legit

dminnie12
Community Member

Have seen the exact item for sale on 3 different sellers pages over the past 3 months, including pictures, and description.  Exact wordings.  Have sent email to seller asking for picture of serial number, but did not receive this specific picture.  Price seems to be too good to be true.  The seller has asked for my full name and address for shipping, but am hesitant.  Can someone please advise what my next step should be, or should I walk away from this?  Is this a scam?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

same item on 3 different sellers for sale over past month, how can I be sure this is legit

There are red flags all over your message, beginning with 'same item from three different sellers' to 'did not receive this specific picture' to 'price seems too good to be true' to 'seller has asked for my full name and address'. 

The item for sale may or may not exist BUT the item you will (if you are lucky) receive will certainly not meet your expectations. If the price seems to good to be true, it is not a true product. And finally but most importantly, the seller is trying to move this transaction off ebay so that you can do nothing about it. If you actually bought it via ebay and paid via paypal, you'd have recourse. The seller HAS your name and address if you proceed with purchase and payment. 

Step away. Run, don't walk, from this transaction.

You have been marked as a newbie by your feedback score.

I wrote a guide awhile ago for new buyers. You might find it useful. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/10-Steps-to-Hassle-Free-Buying-on-eBay-/10000000204740571/g.html

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

There are red flags all over your message, beginning with 'same item from three different sellers' to 'did not receive this specific picture' to 'price seems too good to be true' to 'seller has asked for my full name and address'. 

The item for sale may or may not exist BUT the item you will (if you are lucky) receive will certainly not meet your expectations. If the price seems to good to be true, it is not a true product. And finally but most importantly, the seller is trying to move this transaction off ebay so that you can do nothing about it. If you actually bought it via ebay and paid via paypal, you'd have recourse. The seller HAS your name and address if you proceed with purchase and payment. 

Step away. Run, don't walk, from this transaction.

You have been marked as a newbie by your feedback score.

I wrote a guide awhile ago for new buyers. You might find it useful. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/10-Steps-to-Hassle-Free-Buying-on-eBay-/10000000204740571/g.html

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The only part of these offers that does not concern me is

exact item for sale on 3 different sellers pages over the past 3 months, including pictures, and description.  Exact wordings.

Many sellers are 'dropshipping' which means they take the orders and a supplier, often but not always overseas, ships the goods.

This is a business plan that appeals to lazy and naive sellers.

The seller has no control over the quality of the product, the availability of the product or the shipping of the product.

But in the cases you describe, there are too many indications of a scam listing. The item probably does not even exist and the seller just wants your money in a way that makes it impossible for you to reclaim it.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply