And in Other News....

Why placing a package under a door handle is probably not a good idea

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 6.32.05 AM.png

and...

Madge is mad.

Madonna hasn't been able to get her FedEx delivery because they refuse to believe she's actually Madonna

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 6.33.22 AM.png

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

And in Other News....

The twitter image in the first of the two stories has since been deleted. (It last still visible last night.)

Basically, what it showed was a long, tall cardboard box (containing? Meter sticks? I have no idea) propped up against the front door of someone's townhouse. But it was an odd handle, not a knob, but a long handle grip like the kind you might see on the public washroom entrance door at the mall, or an office, or classroom. And the height of the long, tall box met exactly the industrial-style handle. 

I suppose the original poster deleted the twitter picture due to all the heat it had drawn. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

And in Other News....

Off topic slightly.

Regarding your referring to lever type door handles as being odd and industrial. Very common in new home construction for years now.

The round knob style handle is banned in Vancouver for new construction and renovations. The lever style industrial handle is only permitted. The reason is that round knob style handles require the user to grip the knob and turn to open. The lever style handle can be opened without gripping it. An elbow, forearm, even head can push the lever down. Makes opening a door easier for those with some physical disability.

You can still buy round door knob for use but they are not supposed to be used on new construction or renovations.

Here is a 2013 Vancouver Sun newspaper article on the change. It also has a history oh the door knob in the article that I found interesting to read.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouver+humble+doorknob+likely+trendsetter/9173543/story.html

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

And in Other News....

That's very interesting! I didn't know that, thank you.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

And in Other News....

Do you mean a lever style handle?

Round doorknobs are no longer the standard in Canada and the USA for new construction.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/no-doorknobs-allowed-in-new-vancouver-homes-after-city-passes-bylaw-1.1...

-..-

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

And in Other News....

Lever, yes. I've only ever lived in vintage homes or historic apartment buildings so I was unaware of the building code change. It makes some sense.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply