''Canada post worker keeps 500 packages''

If you lost lettermail packages recently moving to/from/into alberta, they just found out a worker was heavily stealing packages

They say ''all packages'' have been returned but untracked they just can't know

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mail-theft-charges-to-come-after-canada-post-employee-keeps-500-packages...

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

byto253
Community Member

Such short sighted stupidity.  Losing a very good well paying job, pension and benefits for a few thousand bucks.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

And the inconvenience it would have caused many.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The article isn't terribly clear about the "motive"

I've seen a couple of these over the years here and in the US where the carrier was getting behind so they were just throwing the leftovers in their garage to keep up, never delivering the backlog.

They are charging them with theft though but that might be the required charge from removing them from the postal system whether or not they were intent on keeping anything out of them.

Either way not good for the sellers nor the buyers thats for sure!

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Sounds like this guy was just hoarding undelivered mail, if the packages were all forwarded after being found it sounds like the guy wasn't even opening them and there are no details on the age of the packages so it could easily have been just a few here and there that built up over time.

A more serious issue in my area is theft from the red mailboxes, there are two in my area that were recently removed after being trashed and the contents stolen. One disappeared from in front of my local franchise, a week later I saw one in front of my local Staples which was all smashed up, covered in yellow emergency tape so I presume it had just happened.

One interesting thing, at the postal outlet I asked them when the box would be replaced and they said they had no idea and were not sure it would ever be replaced. The only issue with that is that I need to go during open hours instead of my usual middle of the night drop off.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Sounds like this guy was just hoarding undelivered mail

It's written in the articles it was deliverable mail

earlier this week found "in excess" of 500 "deliverable items" had been hoarded

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The link below from Yahoo News explains more.

Says it was mail he was meant to deliver. I don't if that means in the local area or both local and across Canada.

My guess is he was grabbing untracked mail meant to go across Canada to avoid suspicion and not to be delivered locally.

Before his arrest I sent out a lettermail (DVD in bubble envelope) untracked to Ontario. 

I sent it out with no delay. One week turned into two and eventually three before the customer requested a refund.

Normally I get one package lost within Canada per year, but this year it climbed to two. I lost one internationally and 2-3 packages enroute to me.

It's highly unlikely this employee had any of mine, but I do hope. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

Sounds like this guy was just hoarding undelivered mail

It's written in the articles it was deliverable mail

earlier this week found "in excess" of 500 "deliverable items" had been hoarded

Right. Deliverable mail meaning that it was still 'undelivered'.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Five hundred items? 

I wonder how many items a carrier has in his bag each day?

CANADA POST SHIPPING .jpg

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I wonder how many items go through the Wainwright post office as they probably have less than  10,000 people in that area. I would think that a postal worker there would only have access to mail from senders in that area or mail that was coming in to be delivered there.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It's likely to be a carrier, because their co-workers would notice them taking home mail if that were not part of their duties.

And the "classic" mail hoarder is a carrier who gets overwhelmed one day, and takes some mail home to deal with tomorrow, only to be equally overwhelmed the next day.

Anyone else read Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal"?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I ordered a CD via lettermail a few months ago, and it never arrived.

Did the article say anything about his taste in music?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

I ordered a CD via lettermail a few months ago, and it never arrived.

Did the article say anything about his taste in music?

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

Wonder if in the collection there were soccer balls and figure skates? Sorry Castaway flashback!!! Maybe carrier was looking for hockey jerseys? 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

so thats where they went!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply