Senate passes Canada Post back-to-work legislation

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 7.23.12 PM.png

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Senate passes Canada Post back-to-work legislation

Canada Post union employees must return to work tomorrow, minus the $1000 bonus if they had done so willingly while mediation continues. Fines for anyone not adhering to the legislation.

Questions remain.

How much effort will postal employees exert in addressing the million-parcel backlog caused by more than a month of rotating strikes?

Will consumers return to online shopping (such as from ebay sellers) with enough confidence to save the holiday sales season?

How will Canada Post management address the assertions of a toxic workplace rife with crippling injuries among its employees?

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

This is the bill itself, now law.

http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/bill/C-89/third-reading

The Senate hasn't updated their site yet so I cannot link to it there.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Will ebay throw any honey into the pot to help lure shoppers back now that this is (hopefully) over?

@happy_pigeon and tyler@ebay

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@momcqueen

Will ebay throw any honey into the pot to help lure shoppers back

Just some TV and radio ads perhaps?

I'll watch for ads on Facebook if some of the youngsters watch Snapchat or whatever the site du jour is.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

good news, sort of,, now the bad news,, with being forced back to work, it will open a whole new can of worms..

There is nothing that says how fast or efficient they have to process the mail.. i can foresee   many examples of oops did i put that in the wrong mailbox,  oops did i forget to scan that, oops did that get caught in the conveyor belt..

There is nothing worse than having a disgruntled employee doing their job properly.  Because they feel they have been ripped off again..  Been done this road before.. And being a union employee for 30 years. I have seen what upset union members are capable of..

Not to mention the no overtime, rule will be strongly enforced i am guessing..

Still a big mess will need to be addressed..

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

ebay just announced a 10% of anything coupon, good for 4 hours.. coupon code is  PCYBERDAY, ends at 10 pm. i think..

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I was listening to the live feed and then lost it after they called for Royal Assent. 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Management will watching.....    

All of the workers must do their job correctly..... To do otherwise is to end up in trouble.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

It will be my choice to wait until Friday  to take my store off vacation...

December 1 ..........Here I come!     December will be most interesting for everyone.

The House of Commons and the Senate did their job.

Wonder what CUPW will say.......        We shall see tomorrow

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

The thing with 'work to rule' is that most employees do MORE than they are required to do, for no reward except the satisfaction of doing a good job.

Like starting work by getting your work station ready before 9am and clearing it up after 5 pm.

Many carriers are an informal resource for the frail elderly. Instead of dropping mail in the box, they will knock and hand it over. If no one answers they notify a relative or even police.

Or taking that extra shift or walk when things are busy-- yes they get paid, but it's time away from family and leisure.

I notice in that G&M story I posted about the Back to Work, that the writer mentioned wages but not the simmering concern about on the job injuries which the union believes stem from the change from letter delivery to package delivery.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Really want to list my stuff for sale, but afraid to due to CP.
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Cal it three days... 

It should take three days of adjustment to get to the point you will be comfortable with selling on eBay ... again....

Day 1..... Ready

Day 2.... Set

Day 3... Go

Make Wednesday... Day 1......

That will be my approach to getting my store off vacation, and with all of the listings visible on eBay ... December 1 will be my new reality

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I hope postal workers now get everything they need and deserve through mediation and/or binding arbitration with this contract.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-44022004

The BBCs take on notable strikes. For chuckles. The one about striking Japanese bus drivers continuing to work but charging their passengers no fares showed up in my newsfeed on Facebook.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Will ebay throw any honey into the pot to help lure shoppers back now that this is (hopefully) over?

@happy_pigeon and tyler@ebay

We had a record-breaking Black Friday/Cyber Monday so I think it's safe to say they never really left slight_smile

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

That’s encouraging to hear.
Message 20 of 23
latest reply