Least favorite thing about the new forums?

I really dislike that when I click on a running thread, it doesn't take me to the newest unread thread like the old forums did. It's like a step back.

Why is it like that?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I do not know why.

But I found a workaround in using 10 posts per page as it will remember the page you are on.  I tried 4 post per page but it was too short. 

I just recently changed the sort order set to newest first so the latest post is first (with 10 posts per page).  It works for slow topics but fast moving threads, you have the same issues of figuring out where you were in the thread.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Hey poco, I was hoping that Kalvin or Vincenzo (if he is still around) would answer that question.

I realize that it goes to that page but I still have to scroll. I've noticed it more lately of course because there have been more posts than usual.

Is there anything else than someone here particularly dislikes about the forums? I'm not expecting that a complaint will cause change but I do find it ironic that ebay sends members here and to the answer center for help and we provide that service yet have to work around a forum that doesn't work properly or to its potential.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Okay, here are mine

1) Remembering where the last post viewed (your issue)

2) Copy and paste into the post editor loosing all formatting and introducing HTML code

3) Having to put in a blank line to separate paragraphs.

Other comments;

1) eBay's lack of testing the basics before introducing these forums

2) eBay's lack of fixing issues above as it works "well enough" for now.

Good new features.

1) Clicking on the Discussion Boards link to see all new messages from all forums. No need to go and look in each individual forum to see what is new.

2) Mark all messages read in the main Discussion Boards link saves having to click on threads I do not care to read to show them read after I have read the ones I am interested in. (Most of the posts in Canada Town Square is of no interest to me).

Also, it fixed the old forum issue of some posts breaking a topic and always showing it as not being read.

3) The forum message system is nice as it is a separate system to eBay message.  Good for quick forum member to forum member communication.  The only issue is that no ones really knows about it! One issue that is a manual add to addresses and not a simple click to add a member id. The other big issue is with quoting the previous message in a reply as it makes no sense.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

in addition to problems mentionned above, I really, I mean really, miss the ability to use some basic HTML tags such as

IMG SRC (allowing images from the internet) instead of being limited to attachment from one's own computer files.

FONT (size)

FONT (colour)

etc... I wish I had an hour to list what's wrong.  Mary just called: dinner is ready! (earlier than usual tonight!) 🙂

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I liked that it posted what had been updated--unless you know what post you veiwed at what time you have viewed last you miss posts

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

sir*edward*ross
Community Member

Most everything about the new format ... but I digress

Not a  Snipe but a Super Snipe
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I really don't like how it doesn't redirect me to the last post read as well. =(

I don't want to resort to spamming every thread I read with my own post just to help track the last comment read. >.>

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

nicki9912
Community Member

Do you all like how the cursor automatically goes way up to the subject line and if you aren't looking, you will type right along in with the title?

and what about the DOUBLE Topic Headers? How long has it been  now? 2 months?

Boooooooo and Hissssssss

I hate how when choosing a GIF , and you pick Large for your photo and this teeny tiny little thing appears.

I didn't like it when they changed it, and I still don't like it now...  Notice how many views on a topic but not nearly as many replies as before this change

Photobucket
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

sir*edward*ross
Community Member

... and they didn't ask me before changing to the new format ...]:)

Not a  Snipe but a Super Snipe
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

🙂

No way! What were they thinking? 😮

😉

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Photobucket

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Is this thread about the NEW NEW Forums

or

The OLD NEW FORUMS

???

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

It is awful, what another great waste of time and money for the overpaid teckies to make a mess of. Another backward change, but maybe the purpose is to get less people using it, but Ebay can still say forums are there.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Just sneaking over from eBay.com to see what is in store for us.  YIKES comes to mind.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

There are quite a few personal settings on your profile page.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences%3Alinear-format

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I really dislike that when I click on a running thread, it doesn't take me to the newest unread thread like the old forums did. It's like a step back.

Because you have to set up your Preferences.

Go to My Settings --> Preferences --> Linear Layout --> Jump to first unread post in a topic.

Unfortunately, it doesn't apply retroactively, so it won't work in this thread.

There are lots of interesting options to find while poking around in Preferences.

The main reason for the board revamp is that eBay is parting ways with LiveWorld as a site host, and this is the transition to hosting by a company called Lithium.

There's a whole Discussion boards section for "New Community Experience" down in the "News and information" section.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I really dislike that when I click on a running thread, it doesn't take me to the newest unread thread like the old forums did. It's like a step back.

Because you have to set up your Preferences.

Go to My Settings --> Preferences --> Linear Layout --> Jump to first unread post in a topic.

Unfortunately, it doesn't apply retroactively, so it won't work in this thread.

There are lots of interesting options to find while poking around in Preferences.

The main reason for the board revamp is that eBay is parting ways with LiveWorld as a site host, and this is the transition to hosting by a company called Lithium.

There's a whole Discussion boards section for "New Community Experience" down in the "News and information" section.

Thanks for the info...I guess I should explore.  Other than this post though, anything else I posted on this thread was from 2011...the last time they changed the boards. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Is there anything else than someone here particularly dislikes about the forums?

All the whining.  😉

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

The time I spend on them... LOL ... I could be sleeping you know 😉

Message 20 of 21
latest reply