New Community Platform

Hi all,

Welcome to the newest version of your Community platform. I see that some of you are already posting away, and to those who may have experienced some hiccups earlier during the rollout process, thanks for your patience.

Let's use this discussion thread as a hub for constructive feedback and questions about the upgrade. Most of your day-to-day functions should remain the same, but if you can't find or feature, or want to know how to use some of the new ones, we'll help you out as best we can.

Message 1 of 146
latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

New Community Platform

Yes, I agree that location is important. We do get members asking questions and if they are from other countries who wander over to our site the info that we give them may be incorrect for their own country/selling site.
Message 41 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@happy_pigeon wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Spellcheck. Sigh. I have been complaining about spellcheck in these forums on eBay.ca before Lithium took over and on eBay.com USA since 2013!

VERY interesting post, pocomo, thank you. So just to clarify my understanding based on this and your post over on .com, it would be your preference to turn off the Lithium-based spellcheck in favour of whatever browser-based spellchecking system the member might have in place?

1-11-2018 9-51-05 AM.jpg

Aaaand done. You're welcome stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

That said, if I see a SINGLE person with a flaming torch outside of headquarters over this, I will be toggling it back.

Message 42 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@happy_pigeon wrote:

@happy_pigeon wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Spellcheck. Sigh. I have been complaining about spellcheck in these forums on eBay.ca before Lithium took over and on eBay.com USA since 2013!

VERY interesting post, pocomo, thank you. So just to clarify my understanding based on this and your post over on .com, it would be your preference to turn off the Lithium-based spellcheck in favour of whatever browser-based spellchecking system the member might have in place?

1-11-2018 9-51-05 AM.jpg

Aaaand done. You're welcome stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

That said, if I see a SINGLE person with a flaming torch outside of headquarters over this, I will be toggling it back.

Wait, what? Yes! It's fixed. All my various typos self-identify and self-correct as I type, hooray! 

Message 43 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

Is it just me or are we being besieged with zombie threads since the switchover? 

I mean, there's always been. I assume life is breathed back into old threads when users come and 'search' topics as opposed to browse, as the results are displayed by 'most popular' or whatever denotes many comments and views. 'Most popular' topics are easily the ones that have been around the longest. Hence the dead threads coming back to life.

Is there some easy way to flag a thread that's more than a year old so that searchers don't get heavily invested in them?

Or will this epidemic pass once users figure out how better to browse again?

Message 44 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

Just now, in fact, I have been sucked into the drama of two threads -- one from 2013 about lawsuits and another about shipping without tracking from 2015 -- before noticed they were zombie threads. There were the top two on the Home page under Popular Discussions. Popped up, fresh from the grave. It's odd.

Message 45 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

The key to success with something new is learning how to ... Make It Happen.

Things change, and we adjust.....

This is eBay... but then the same applies to every new experience.....  You get married..  you have your first child... you buy your first car... you buy your first house.......  and more.

Never, say never...... just... Make It Happen

Message 46 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@mjwl2006momcqueen wrote:

Just now, in fact, I have been sucked into the drama of two threads -- one from 2013 about lawsuits and another about shipping without tracking from 2015 -- before noticed they were zombie threads. There were the top two on the Home page under Popular Discussions. Popped up, fresh from the grave. It's odd.

It's VERY odd, and I can only imagine it is a quirk of the changeover. I've closed one so far and I'll look for others, but feel free to make a post in zombie threads and "at" me (like @mjwl2006momcqueen, but with my username instead), and I'll get an email and come kill it tools

Message 47 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@happy_pigeon wrote:
Thank you for reminding me. If you'd like to adjust the size of the posts, hold down Ctrl on your keyboard and tap the '+' button until you reach the desired size. You can also hold Ctrl and tap '-' to decrease the size. Depending on your browser, the new font and post size should be saved, even if you navigate away to different pages and come back later.

Thank you for the tip. It's not exactly what I hoped for, because then the font is also much bigger than what I need. But I guess it's better than nothing.

When you have time, can you please look at post #37? I have 2 more points mentioned there regarding problems. Regards,

Message 48 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

I just made a test, and it's really not what I need unfortunately. When I browse other pages, the font is also much bigger. It follows me everywhere I go on the site and it's not what I want 😞
Message 49 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@happy_pigeon wrote:

Hi all,

Welcome to the newest version of your Community platform. I see that some of you are already posting away, and to those who may have experienced some hiccups earlier during the rollout process, thanks for your patience.

Let's use this discussion thread as a hub for constructive feedback and questions about the upgrade. Most of your day-to-day functions should remain the same, but if you can't find or feature, or want to know how to use some of the new ones, we'll help you out as best we can.

Hi and welcome.

Here is my 2 cents worth as I will no longer be posting to these boards and the reason why and these are general statements and not pointed at any body. Some of this has been brought up on the US boards as well.

1. Someone needs to control Lithium and ensure they do not play favorites with certain posters and punish others as they see fit.

2. Have staff that are knowledgeable and will actually answer questions according to Ebay policy, don't interpret as they see fit, and get rid of we will pass it along to the team that handles it and get back to you.

3. Ensure that information supplied by posters is correct and if not, staff will correct them. It will prevent a lot of bickering on the boards.

4. Boards are supposed to be helpful and as far as I am concerned, neither the US boards or the Canadian boards give help to anyone. Nothing gets fixed or done, and all that happens is like these boards, change for the sake of change.

5. Lock all posts with 6 months or more of no activity as the information is old. If you can monitor the boards easily, it should not be a problem.

6. make sure postings are relevant to Ebay, not a personal soapbox. Example, there is a post on the US boards to sell counterfeit currency and documents. Where are the mods and staff?

These suggestions are not specific to format but very specific to the Ebay boards. Fix the content and use of the boards instead of supposedly making them look better.

As I said, I will no longer be posting on these boards and I don't care what they look like, but as others have said, the colors are ugly and very hard on the eyes.

Everyone enjoy the new boards.

Message 50 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@dutchman48 wrote:

Hi and welcome.

Here is my 2 cents worth as I will no longer be posting to these boards and the reason why and these are general statements and not pointed at any body. Some of this has been brought up on the US boards as well.

1. Someone needs to control Lithium and ensure they do not play favorites with certain posters and punish others as they see fit.

I am going to be working closely with Lithium to take a look at our moderation procedures, since I'm sure they're in need of a refresh. That said, there have certainly been problematic posters on the boards in the past, and they not only make things unpleasant for other members, but also make it more difficult for the eBay team to engage with members who need it. Those posters will continue to face consequences, whether through Lithium or by the eBay team directly.

I do not envision these discussion boards as ever being a place where only the positive aspects of eBay may be discussed. This should be a safe place for members to find support with each other and vent if needed (and give us a chance to address the issue, if possible). However, posters that are negative solely for the sake of being negative add nothing to any discussion, and detract from the experience of other users. We'll continue to handle posters like that on a case-by-case basis... and I can promise you, they are not our favourite...

2. Have staff that are knowledgeable and will actually answer questions according to Ebay policy, don't interpret as they see fit, and get rid of we will pass it along to the team that handles it and get back to you.

We are going to do better at this. And yes, I realize that you have probably heard this before. The new platform is just the tip of the iceberg - there are plans that go far beyond that and they have a lot more to do with the eBay Team being more engaged.

That being said, you may have to be a little patient with us sometimes. Rodney and Raphael, who have both moved on, collectively had decades of experience with the company. We're trying really hard to fill their shoes, but sometimes we WILL need to get back to you in order to get you an accurate and truthful answer.

3. Ensure that information supplied by posters is correct and if not, staff will correct them. It will prevent a lot of bickering on the boards.

@I disagree that such a high level of moderation would be appreciated. I feel that most members wouldn't want eBay to be fact-checking everything they write on the boards, but they SHOULD @ us if they want something clarified for once and for all, or drop into the weekly chat sessions to get a more "official" answer.

We're working on a system that will allow members to flag eBay staff if they need a question answered or come across something crazy.

4. Boards are supposed to be helpful and as far as I am concerned, neither the US boards or the Canadian boards give help to anyone. Nothing gets fixed or done, and all that happens is like these boards, change for the sake of change.

I'm sorry that this has been your experience, but I'm not sure it's everyone's experience. We can do better, yes, but I do feel that the majority of members get some value out of coming here, otherwise they would not take the time to do so.

5. Lock all posts with 6 months or more of no activity as the information is old. If you can monitor the boards easily, it should not be a problem.

Maybe not "easily"... there are thousands of posts created on a monthly basis, and only a handful of us. But I don't think it's a bad idea to lock zombie threads. What does everyone else think about the 6-month cutoff?

6. make sure postings are relevant to Ebay, not a personal soapbox. Example, there is a post on the US boards to sell counterfeit currency and documents. Where are the mods and staff?

I can't speak for the US team - the Canadian community is run by the eBay Canada team, and there is no overlap in staff with the US.

These suggestions are not specific to format but very specific to the Ebay boards. Fix the content and use of the boards instead of supposedly making them look better.

As I said, I will no longer be posting on these boards and I don't care what they look like, but as others have said, the colors are ugly and very hard on the eyes.

Everyone enjoy the new boards.

Thanks, dutchman. I've addressed your points above, in the quote, for anyone who will be remaining on the boards and finds it interesting.

Message 51 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

lady.stark wrote: 

Also, it's very hard to find each section of the boards. We have to open a drop down menu to get there and we don't even see if there are new posts in each section! We have to click on it to see. More clicks, clicks, clicks... that seems to be eBay's moto these days.

It is also very hard to see the difference between threads where all the messages have been read and those that are completely new/have new posts.

@lady.stark, are these the ones that I missed? Sorry about that...

Threads where you've read to the end will have a red bar beside them in the discussion feed, like so: 

1-11-2018 2-28-04 PM.jpg

The red bar should come back if there is more to read, or if you didn't read to the end the first time you looked at the thread.

I just need a little more clarification with regard to your comment about finding board sections. You can't drill down any further than what you see in the drop-down:

1-11-2018 2-29-59 PM.jpg

...so it should take you no more than two clicks (one to open the menu, one to choose a board) from the Home page to reach a particular board - unless I misunderstand.

You're right that there's no way to tell if a particular board has unread topics within, you'd need the visit the board to see that, and then you'd be able to tell from the red bars in my first image.

I'm sorry the text size increase/decrease idea isn't what you were looking for... if nothing else you can remember it for any other websites you come across with tiny text! Truthfully, I don't foresee us making any changes to the "post" portion of the page as it would require a redesign of the entire template.

Message 52 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@vintagenorth wrote:
Yes, I agree that location is important. We do get members asking questions and if they are from other countries who wander over to our site the info that we give them may be incorrect for their own country/selling site.

I will see if this is something that can be done easily. I'm not overly optimistic, but it's worth asking Lithium about.

Message 53 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

So here's something that I love: the ease with which we can upload screenshots now. 

I frequently utlize screenshots as a visual aid as I attempt to answer questions for people (or provide instructions) and I can tell you it used to be anguish to be limited to uploading only one image at a time. Now, I can upload multiple images AND give them captions. That's wonderful, and I find it to be a valuable improvement. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 2.44.26 PM.png

Message 54 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

A feature that I think would be nice is to have the notification bell for the boards work the same as the notification bell for eBay, where instead of having to click on it to see the notifications you can just hover over it to see what is new. I don't know if it's even possible, but I figured I'd bring it up considering how well my last feedback submission ended. wink

Message 55 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

I dont like it you are lost here and hard to check all the new posts .waist  of space and our time .This should be something that is helpful for us .

Waist of money .I must admit that lady_stark its right.One of the reason never checking the USA board its a mess .So congratulation to us we have nice ,expensive ,well looking but useless platform 

Message 56 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

well but its not practical even on desktop. so whats the point of change 

Message 57 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

you must kidding with us .How we will be coming back if the new platform is not friendly ?

I guess we will find to chill out somewhere else .

You do beleive in yourself thats this is amazing change .I will agree if i use my 60 " tv for screen 

Message 58 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

@happy_pigeon wrote:

@lady.stark, are these the ones that I missed? Sorry about that...

Threads where you've read to the end will have a red bar beside them in the discussion feed, like so: 

I just need a little more clarification with regard to your comment about finding board sections. You can't drill down any further than what you see in the drop-down:

Yep, those are the ones 😉

I don't see any red bar beside any discussion on the boards... I think only you can see that....?

On the old board, we used to be able to see, in one single place, if, say, "Seller Central" had any new threads, because the title was in bold. No bold title: no new thread. Now it's very unfriendly having to open each section to see if a new topic is there. Not to mention it's a loss of time. Is it possible to bring back the bold title when a new topic is created within the section?

Message 59 of 146
latest reply

New Community Platform

I tried to browse the seller central and guess all the post are messy you cant see the newest one like before which mean you need to scroll and search what for ? Please tell me that this is a pilot project and you will retired soon.
When i start on ebay here i was coming for help and advice now is a mess .

Thank you  

Message 60 of 146
latest reply