Manage payment and SIN

Hello tyler@ebay:

On several occasions you mentioned that the Canadian Sin number is not required to apply for managed payment, but if I do not give it to Ebay the application does not allow me to continue and submit.  What can be done?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Manage payment and SIN

I also had the exact same thing, so I simply put my SIN number. Issue solved instantly, and if eBay gets hacked, I hope the Canadain Government will hold them accountable.

It's really Aydian that wants the SIN number as they want to "fully scan" the identities of everyone who uses their services, it's all about money laundering, and international monetary laws and a whole bunch of new ones go into effect in 2024-25 all part of the global march towards a "social credit system" model.

It also makes it easier for the Canadian Government at the end of the day...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Manage payment and SIN

We are allowed to give our SIN but nobody except our employer and /or bank is allowed to demand it.

I was able to use my passport and DH his driving license.

We also unsuccessfully tried a pdf of a bank statement and the micro-deposits over the two months MP was not registering us.

FWIW, when we finally did get registered the money that was being held was promptly transferred to the accepted bank accounts.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Manage payment and SIN

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/sin/protect.html

Who can ask for your SIN

The most common uses of your SIN are for:

Consult the SIN: Code of Practice for a complete list and description of the federal legislation and programs which are specifically permitted to use the SIN.

When you don't have to provide your SIN

Some private-sector organizations may ask for your SIN. This practice is strongly discouraged, but it is not illegal.

Here are examples of when you don't have to give your SIN:

• proving your identity (except for specific government programs)
  • completing a job application before you get the job
  • completing an application to rent a property
  • negotiating a lease with a landlord
  • completing a credit card application
  • cashing a cheque
  • completing some banking transactions (mortgage, line of credit, loan)
  • completing a medical questionnaire
  • renting a car
  • subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services
  • writing a will
  • applying to a university or college

If an organization asks for a SIN and it is not legally required

If you believe your SIN isn't required, ask why it is being requested, how it will be used and with whom it will be shared.

If your SIN is not required by law, explain that you prefer not to provide it. Offer different proof of identity.

If the organization refuses to provide the product or service unless you provide your SIN, ask to speak to the person in charge. Many organizations don't know about the appropriate uses of the SIN. Once they understand, they may willingly change their practices.

If you are not satisfied with the organization's response, you may formally complain to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada or 1-800-282-1376. There is no fee for making a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner.

And, I have over 1:30 hours of recorded phone conversations of me telling/explaining this to "out to lunch" eBay CS, but they still insisted that a SIN was required, so I did what the Gov said and filed a report, and so should EVERY member that was "forced" to provide their SIN, if it is documented with our GOV via reports from the citizens, then they will be held accountable

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Manage payment and SIN

Just to be clear-- you are signing up on the dotCA site, for an eBayCanada Managed Payment account using a checking account with a Canadian bank, right?

Because our American friends do have to use their SSN.  And that has confused a few Canadian sellers who mostly list on the US site (dotCOM).

Message 5 of 5
latest reply