eBay problems and concerns

Hi All,

I am getting quite concerened with the many problems with the eBay platform as of late. Add the fact that these community boards and update pages seem to significantly harder to use, and seem to be very infrequetly visited by any eBay employees, I am feeling very worried about eBay.ca.

How is the rest of the community feeling? I always thought eBay was a good platform, the support was really good prior to 2020, now it seems not so good.

Are we riding a downhill bus?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

tyler@ebay 

As per Sheila at dot com regarding the current discussion forum issues and what is being worked on.

"Any changes that'll be made to the US Community will also be made to the Canadian Community. Following my feedback list post will be a good way to know what changes will be coming soon to Canada."

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Community-Platform-Feedback/Community-redesign-feedback-list/m-p/31663...

-Lotz

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@flyhooks4less wrote:

No, we're riding a bus that's getting repairs and upgrades done on it at the same time it's carrying passengers.  The ride will become smoother in time.

After Christmas is usually a slower time on eBay, so it makes sense that a lot of these changes (particularly the transition to Managed Payments) are concentrated in the first quarter or so, so as to be a little less disruptive. 

There have been a lot of changes to eBay since Pierre Omidyar auctioned off his broken laser pointer in 1995.  In all that time, the site has likely never run completely glitch-free, users have been periodically posting about the impending death of the site, and the involvement of eBay staffers in the "community" section of the site has waxed and waned.  I've been following eBay on and off since late 1999 or so and I don't see anything catastrophic going on or on the horizon.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

In my humble opinion, the long time sellers on here that reply to the newbies like me are providing the selling support here. If they didn't answer questions and provide insights I would be lost on here. I think they are the the best part of ebay. They do it all for free and they provide this support in some cases to their own competitors. I think ebay will continue to provide less phone support and less staff support in general because it is better for their pockets to depend on these folks. With all the new changes lately there are still so many unanswerable questions. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

Hi All,

I am getting quite concerened with the many problems with the eBay platform as of late. Add the fact that these community boards and update pages seem to significantly harder to use, and seem to be very infrequetly visited by any eBay employees, I am feeling very worried about eBay.ca.

How is the rest of the community feeling? I always thought eBay was a good platform, the support was really good prior to 2020, now it seems not so good.

I've posted this comment a few times as of late. I was just thinking it had something to do with the porting of listings as they switch over from PayPal to MP. Unfortunately the issue is still a concern.

Is there a rationale reason for getting 2 completely different sets of results between dot ca and dot com? As a Canadian seller as standard practice I am signed in on dot ca so I will do a search. Volume is routinely 3 to 4 times higher on dot com. Shouldn't the results mirror each other? This could definitely be affecting a Canadian sellers traffic and more importantly sales. Check for yourself. Mileage DOES vary. Coffee Mug, Snowshoes, US Coins .....Same words on both sites.  I would love to hear an explanation!!

The ride on the bus has not been smooth in several years!!!

-Lotz

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Is there a rational reason for getting two completely different sets of results between dot ca and dot com? As a Canadian seller, as standard practice I am signed in on dot ca so I will do a search. Volume is routinely 3 to 4 times higher on dot com. Shouldn't the results mirror each other?   This could definitely be affecting a Canadian sellers traffic and more importantly sales. Check for yourself. Mileage DOES vary. Coffee Mug, Snowshoes, US Coins .....Same words on both sites.  I would love to hear an explanation!!

Just spitballing here, but the search filters on each site are quite different.  The algorithm for "best match" may be affected by the different types of search filters and the behaviour of those filters when they're used or not used.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

Hi All,

tyler@ebay 

Orders with Expedited, tracked service in the past have been basically accurate up until the most recent rate increase. I just went to process an order to the great white north by Expedited with Shippo. As per the eBay Calculator customer short paid by 1.61 which does not factor in my level 2 discounts vs counter rates and that the final package weight was less than noted with the original listing. (Unable to tell if this is connected to the 2 month old fuel surcharge problems.) If there are errors with the eBay calculator and customers are being incorrectly (short billed) these are charges a seller are unable to recover. Especially if they use Small Packet Air service to USA & International in high volumes.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

It is absolutely horrible that this is still occuring, c'mon eBay, accurate calculated shipping is a requirement for almost all Canadian shipping other than letter mail, it needs to be fixed!!! It is absolutlely in-excusable that it has taken this long! Not to mention I and many other sellers are now out $$$ because of it!

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@flyhooks4less wrote:

It is absolutely horrible that this is still occuring, c'mon eBay, accurate calculated shipping is a requirement for almost all Canadian shipping other than letter mail, it needs to be fixed!!! It is absolutlely in-excusable that it has taken this long! Not to mention I and many other sellers are now out $$$ because of it!

@triber 

FYI to anyone processing packages this weekend with Canadapost & Shippo.

Here is part of the message I received from Shippo CS Friday afternoon.

"it's likely that the source of this discrepancy is a conversion issue on our end. Could you tell/show me the weight of the order on Ebay's side, and show whether it's in pounds or kilograms? After I have that information we can figure out a workaround for the time being."

Response: always Metric for eBay and Shippo

Will pass on as soon as I get any additional follow up hopefully sometime Monday. With the way charges are broken down with a Shippo label impossible to tell if that is where the problem is coming from.

3 orders this weekend. All 3 had issues with the amount charged by eBay's Postage Calculator

1. US Small Packet - Fuel surcharge not charged to customer

2. Canada Expedited NWT - Short charged by calculator

3. Canada Expedited Ont - Short charged by calculator

Customer Billed 20.28. As per Canadapost Counter Rate. 20.46

After Level 2 discount 2.24 + .18 Difference above = 2.42 Short +-

Because this is an error at either eBay or Shippo's end OR both, there is no way for a seller to make up these shortfalls and process as paid by buyer as they keep on accumulating.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@flyhooks4less wrote:

@triber 

FYI to anyone processing packages this weekend with Canadapost & Shippo.

Here is part of the message I received from Shippo CS Friday afternoon.

"it's likely that the source of this discrepancy is a conversion issue on our end. Could you tell/show me the weight of the order on Ebay's side, and show whether it's in pounds or kilograms? After I have that information we can figure out a workaround for the time being."

Response: always Metric for eBay and Shippo

Will pass on as soon as I get any additional follow up hopefully sometime Monday. With the way charges are broken down with a Shippo label impossible to tell if that is where the problem is coming from.

3 orders this weekend. All 3 had issues with the amount charged by eBay's Postage Calculator

1. US Small Packet - Fuel surcharge not charged to customer

2. Canada Expedited NWT - Short charged by calculator

3. Canada Expedited Ont - Short charged by calculator

Customer Billed 20.28. As per Canadapost Counter Rate. 20.46

After Level 2 discount 2.24 + .18 Difference above = 2.42 Short +-

Because this is an error at either eBay or Shippo's end OR both, there is no way for a seller to make up these shortfalls and process as paid by buyer as they keep on accumulating.

-Lotz

@ricarmic  (Re: Marketing Messages)

Besides the serious delay in how long this is taking to fix, (The meter is at over 2 months), there is nothing noted on the dot ca status page regarding this eBay Defect. The only way a Canadian seller would know if if they spotted the discrepancy while processing an order or if they frequent the board on a regular basis. There was nothing in the form of an announcement. Especially bad because this particular issue is costing Canadian sellers money.

There isn't even a physical way within eBay to find out what or if something is being work on at any given time. There are currently many issues that affect sellers in all kinds of ways. Depending on  Google search shouldn't be the most effective way!!!

-Lotz

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

It is really bad customer service on eBays part, there is no reasonalble explination for the delay. Except that they really don't care, its certainly not a priority for eBay it seems.

Its almost like they want to push us to used Tracked Packet!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

no offence, i like ebay and i hope it gets better,

but here is my current feelings,

ebay is not like riding a bus getting repairs,,

is the bus  on a down hill runaway, while beign salvaged for scraps

I almost thought ebay was broke when it was so difficult to get a refund from ebay for an item that wasnt even shipped, the seller couldnt refund me as the seller owed ebay money.

is? ebay not supporting crime and money laundering by letting criminals aquire ebay gift cards and then launder it by making ebay purchases, from the fraudsters own seller account, they increase the feed back score to easily perpetrate more scams and phishing attemtps on ebay.  atleast with new american laws the money launderers will now have to declare tax , when the sales pass 600$ .  instead of openning several accounts and keeping sales below 20,000.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I certainly feel right now that we are on the path downward...Ebay owes me $1,400 - ever since they switched me over to Ebay managed payments, I have not received a single dollar yet...I am unable to ship items that are now past over due...and Ebay is not communicating with me about this problem...I feel that I am on my own with this issue...

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I hear you! Ebay has owed me $1058.15 for more than 3 years now, ever since managed payments began. I've spent hours with reps in chat or on the phone and still can't get the issue resolved despite having my bank details verified several times only to get cancelled and the money returned to eBay.

I have three eBay accounts one is ebay.co.uk and the other two are ebay.ca accounts. The ebay.co.uk account works fine with managed payments but both Canadian accounts don't. The micro deposits that ebay supposedly sends out for bank verification never arrive in either of my two Canadian bank accounts so instead I've tried the bank statement method for verification but after getting a message from ebay saying the bank is verified 48 hours later it fails.

So having been a ebay.ca seller for 19 years I can say that, for me at least, ebay is downer right now. I ceased selling on the Canadian site three years ago in 2020 when the problem had been going on for a month because I was receiving no revenue from the sales I was making. And despite all efforts to find a fix or get an explanation from ebay I have still not received the money I am owed.

During my last conversation with a ebay rep yesterday she appeared to hint that ebay is experiencing 'some difficulties' with a number of Canadian banks and direct deposits but for a business like ebay.ca to begin a new payout system before getting all the banks on board beggars belief.

Anyways, that's my take on the ebay.ca. It's on a downer right now. I'm considering closing the account and getting them to send me a cheque but even that's complicated by the protocols regarding how accounts are closed and where the money goes so perhaps I'll hedge my bets in the hope that eBay get their act together or some kind of legal or regulatory action is taken to fix the issues many of us have encountered...

Bonne chance mes amis!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply