Reviewed my feedback. Several entries, that I recall seeing in the past, are missing. Now nothing before 2002! And my count is low. Why???

oskye
Community Member
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Reviewed my feedback. Several entries, that I recall seeing in the past, are missing. Now nothing before 2002! And my count is low. Why???

oskye
Community Member

Wait - I think I have got it!

The number besides ones star is a running total of feedback within a 12 month period from the current date.  So, yes, it does change - but does not just clock back to zero at any one point in time.  Unless, of course, one has not made a purchase in 12 months.

Meanwhile - the little line noting 'Feedback received' gives us out life time total.

Right?

Whoo-hoo - I can be taught!  😉 :^O

Thanks for your help (and patience).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You currently have a feedback score of 71 with 101 feedback received.  I don't see anything unusual about it.  When you buy multiple items from one seller in any single Monday-Sunday week, it only counts as 1 toward your feedback score.  This is set up to prevent people artificially raising feedback numbers.  This here link will tell you all about it:

http://pages.ebay.ca/services/forum/changes.html

As for your 'disappearing' feedback, - was it that which you left for others?  No one can leave a negative comment beside a green circle, because ebay can remove those.  Sometimes our memories play tricks on us, and considering how far back your feedback goes, - what makes you think any are 'missing'?

No matter,  - your feedback looks fine to me.  I certainly don't think there is anything to be steamed up about.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

Thanks for trying.  And as much as my mind DOES tend to play tricks on me, that is not the case this time.

I was tipped off that something was wrong when I saw my feedback profile was showing 71 - with 68 being left in the past 6 months. Meaning, apparently I have only made 3 other purchases in all my time on ebay.

|Yes, I do remember some of the comments. The older comments were the most fun to read because they were individualised back then (when ebay was a pastime and not how people made their living). Comments could be memorable (and be a reminder of the purchase and the communication between buyer and seller).  So, such comments are now conspicuous by their absence.

I began making purchases on ebay in 1998. Way more than 3 items. And I received all positive feedback.  But, the comments in my feedback record only go back to 2002. Where did the earlier ones go? And why aren't they tallied in my overall count?

Something is wrong.  And I seem to have been "robbed" - presumably by an ebay software glitch.

So, yes, I'm steamed.  A bit. 😉

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hi again 'oskye', and nice to hear back from you. 🙂

I agree with you about how nice it is to see more personalized comments, - on both sides of the table.  But here's what I don't get, ...  When I click on your feedback page I see the 71 and the blue star, and for your incoming comments I see you have 101.  When I scroll down, (you have pages 1-5) click to the last page, I see the earliest entry from (an antique toy place? sounds like it)  Dec.11,98. 

Then when I click on your 'feedback left for others' and go to the end (beginning?) I see your earliest entry was for "nice books" on Jan.7,99.  Don't you get to see all that?  The dates are all spaced apart gradually right up to the present, -- is that not what you see?

After 90 days ebay deletes all old listings from the system, but the comments, buyer/seller ID, and date remain viewable.  How else would I know about those "nice books" you got? 😄 

If I can see every comment you've ever made, and those which have been left for you, since your first purchase in 1998, so can everyone else.  Can't you? 

Or how about this, - when was the last time you deleted your computer's cache and cookies (temporary internet files) and restarted your computer?  Maybe there's just a clog in the pipes.:^O

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

Well now - THAT`S bizarre. 😮

Yes - now they are all there.  But, up until your reply - there was no Page 5.  At least, for me.  The last entry I could see was the one from phantomkiss.  (I was really missing the one from refired.jeans.  :^O)

(And, yep, antique toys is what I used to buy.  :-x )

So, what the hey?  I was checking my account from two different devices (tablet and laptop).  So, wouldn`t have been a cache issue.

Deeply weird....

Okay, well, anyway, don`t know what was going on there, but at least I can see the comments again.  That is good!

So, then, how come my overall feedback count is 71, with 69 left in the past 12 months - yet there are some 32 (or so) that were left between 1998 and 2011?  I know only the recent ones count towards the Percent positive.  But shouldn`t the overall count be lifetime total (not counting multiples)?  The counter doesn`t start over again every year, does it?

Thanks for your help, dmil8030!  😄

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

Wait - I think I have got it!

The number besides ones star is a running total of feedback within a 12 month period from the current date.  So, yes, it does change - but does not just clock back to zero at any one point in time.  Unless, of course, one has not made a purchase in 12 months.

Meanwhile - the little line noting 'Feedback received' gives us out life time total.

Right?

Whoo-hoo - I can be taught!  😉 :^O

Thanks for your help (and patience).

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I really think some of these issues are due to system glitches.  Ebay is tinkering around with things lately, and the new purchase icons, - ugly,ugly,ugly.  Anyway, glad to know you can see all your feedback as well as the rest of us.

Okay, so the feedback number you see on the 'Feedback ratings' block only carries the numbers for 12 months.  That's why you see only 69.  The others are still in your feedback profile, but all things ebay seem to be scored on a yearly basis.  So your incoming total is 101 right now, but you've got a 61 count on the ratings block, subtract that and the other 32 are there but older than 12 months.

You only have an actual feedback score of 71 because so many items you bought from the same seller.  Like all those jewelry items recently, - all those purchases count as one.  Even when you buy 100 items from one seller, if you do it between Monday (just after midnight EST) and the following Sunday (just before midnight EST) it will only up your feedback score by one.  Each purchase, however, gets a mention on the feedback page because they are all separate transactions.  It's just that the system does this to prevent people from artificially boosting their own or others' feedback scores.

Most people who buy very much at all have a lower score than the number of transactions.  It's nothing unusual at all.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yes, that's it, - you leapt ahead of me.  (I'm a very slow typist).

Well, good to get that cleared up.  Haha, hope you'll sleep better now. 😄

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

Yes, I did sleep well (although, not long enough!) 😉

Thanks for pouncing on my question so quickly and digging around to address it.

Cheers!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply