March 16 2022 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat for your questions, I'll begin working on replies tomorrow afternoon. 

See you then!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi Tyler,

*First off, thank you very much (immensely) for your attention to the template issue. All is well so far. 

*Secondly, thank you for passing on my suggestion to eliminate "Fauxfanity". The moderator cleared that up quickly when made aware.  If not you, someone else quickly brought the fauxfanity to the  attention of the moderator. Re-gardless of eBay's inablity to delete "faux-words" this forum needs to be a safe, inviting  and  happy environment to succeed in attracting all types of sellers to serve their situtations.  Those of us who were not raised in a Nottingham  forest appreciate it's deletion.  If posters elect to incorporate fauxfanity and the moderator is attentive hopefully others others might speak out.  "All for one and one for all."

* FEES. I've sold musical products globally since 1969 and will continue to do so. I now have an open door to begin a new version of ITWM. It will  represent many icons of the Canadian music industry. My accounting background includes my own and the largest music centers on the planet. 

In 2021 the test run of ITWM that myself and other music industry friends have run clocked a total overall fee rate  (store sub, promo listing etc) for exact eBay Canada FEES to be 16%!

As a retailer & accountant for 3 decades I'm aware of the markup for clothing, jewelry, groceries etc.  My industry (the music industry was near the lowest markup)  (25% overall). These exorbatant fees eBay Canada fees may explain why so many are changing platforms.  In addition eBay Canada seems to be doing nothing to attract more buyers to our products. 

16%  FEES (OVERALL average after field testing. This  includes adding necessary  features like subscription and promoted listings... not just FV that were necessary to make a single sale)  
Tyler, this is too much too much. Much too much for what we sell that is highly sought after one of a kind items. 

I'm fine flipping a thing or two, here and there, and navigating all of these annoying eBay Canada's idiosynchronicities.  I'm not getting any younger so it is all good. You can visit the preperatory ITWM com website (same name) to fact check.

I can't speak for sellers in other categories.  I can only vouch for the Canadian music industry.  If eBay Canada wants any attention from  Canadian musicians you will need to lower your fees. You will need to do more things to attract global buyers  You wilol need to stop "dissing us"  by applying all of the same features the USA site enjoys such as listing videos, store videos, coupon discounts and the rest of the USA "full meal deal". 

InTimeWithMusic. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Commodore 90s.jpg

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I hope to be very clear the percentage costs are not simply final value fees alone. They include the full cost of doing business on eBay.

I understand FV fees in "Musical Instruments" are reduced to below 10% and have to assume this is to facilitate eBay's competition in the global online market. However, our focus last year was Memorabilia,  Men's Clothing, Collectibles and Books & Magazines and not musical instruments.

Due to online selling fees and the high cost of shipping used musical instruments internationally for items over 2 kg I found that category not sustainable on eBay . Unfortunately that fact has directly resulted in another problem which is the "parting out" of perfectly good historic musical instruments for profit. This is very sad to see and unfortunately is a rapidly growing business for some eBay sellers. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you.

IT

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hi Tyler, strange things are happening in my Drafts folder on this ID! I am seeing some of my Sold items appearing in my drafts folder. Not sure why, and also I noticed last evening, some of my newly listed items showed up in my Drafts folder too. Not really a problem, I guess I can just delete them from the drafts folder but thought I would mention it to you in case it keeps happening. These are not items that I have relisted using drafts and I always list using a third party site. Also, it's not every item, seems to be random.

Not happening on my other ID, but possibly because sales are pzretty much non-existent there.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi Tyler,

*First off, thank you very much (immensely) for your attention to the template issue. All is well so far. 

*Secondly, thank you for passing on my suggestion to eliminate "Fauxfanity". The moderator cleared that up quickly when made aware.  If not you, someone else quickly brought the fauxfanity to the  attention of the moderator. Re-gardless of eBay's inablity to delete "faux-words" this forum needs to be a safe, inviting  and  happy environment to succeed in attracting all types of sellers to serve their situtations.  Those of us who were not raised in a Nottingham  forest appreciate it's deletion.  If posters elect to incorporate fauxfanity and the moderator is attentive hopefully others others might speak out.  "All for one and one for all."

* FEES. I've sold musical products globally since 1969 and will continue to do so. I now have an open door to begin a new version of ITWM. It will  represent many icons of the Canadian music industry. My accounting background includes my own and the largest music centers on the planet. 

In 2021 the test run of ITWM that myself and other music industry friends have run clocked a total overall fee rate  (store sub, promo listing etc) for exact eBay Canada FEES to be 16%!

As a retailer & accountant for 3 decades I'm aware of the markup for clothing, jewelry, groceries etc.  My industry (the music industry was near the lowest markup)  (25% overall). These exorbatant fees eBay Canada fees may explain why so many are changing platforms.  In addition eBay Canada seems to be doing nothing to attract more buyers to our products. 

16%  FEES (OVERALL average after field testing. This  includes adding necessary  features like subscription and promoted listings... not just FV that were necessary to make a single sale)  
Tyler, this is too much too much. Much too much for what we sell that is highly sought after one of a kind items. 

I'm fine flipping a thing or two, here and there, and navigating all of these annoying eBay Canada's idiosynchronicities.  I'm not getting any younger so it is all good. You can visit the preperatory ITWM com website (same name) to fact check.

I can't speak for sellers in other categories.  I can only vouch for the Canadian music industry.  If eBay Canada wants any attention from  Canadian musicians you will need to lower your fees. You will need to do more things to attract global buyers  You wilol need to stop "dissing us"  by applying all of the same features the USA site enjoys such as listing videos, store videos, coupon discounts and the rest of the USA "full meal deal". 

InTimeWithMusic. 

Hi @intimewithmusic - I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this: not just the level of effort you and your partners went to in running your experiment and calculating your results, but also detailing out your findings for me in a way that is easy to digest (and easier still to push upwards). 

When it comes to fee structure, percentage and overall costs to sell I don't have a lot to say: our fees are our fees. Those decisions are made 'to keep us competitive industry-wide' and also well above my station. I will make sure that I share your insights into them, and if I hear back I will share what I learn!

**Edit to add**

I have to clarify for anyone else reading that while you built Promoted Listings costs into your observations and experiment, it is not required in order to sell your item on eBay. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Tyler, strange things are happening in my Drafts folder on this ID! I am seeing some of my Sold items appearing in my drafts folder. Not sure why, and also I noticed last evening, some of my newly listed items showed up in my Drafts folder too. Not really a problem, I guess I can just delete them from the drafts folder but thought I would mention it to you in case it keeps happening. These are not items that I have relisted using drafts and I always list using a third party site. Also, it's not every item, seems to be random.

Not happening on my other ID, but possibly because sales are pzretty much non-existent there.

Thanks for this @msmaggie060 - I had not heard of it until you said something. In looking into it from my end I have a few scattered reports of this happening in the last year. Tech is 'looking into it' but sporadic issues like this are hard to identify and resolve. 

I have gotten your account added to the ticket that I found, I hope that it helps them narrow down what's going on and the best way to correct it. One thing I've seen consistently mentioned is that the draft operates completely independent of the actual listing that goes live - so you can safely delete that in the draft folder. 

Would you keep an eye on it and let me know if you see the behavior change?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat this week. It's closed but will be back next Tuesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 8
latest reply