May 23rd 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone -

Opening up the chat for tomorrow. Hoping to see you then!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Closing the thread from new replies, as I'm a bit over the hour.

I will get responses to anyone who's posted so far, and update everyone here with follow ups as I have them.

Thanks for joining this week, catch me on the boards or via private message for the rest of this week. See you around!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

Hi. 

Re: Last week rose-dee posted regarding an experience she had with being re-directed from ebay.ca search to a scam web-page.

Well. I'm here to report that during the past week I've also experienced some fraudulent activity while using the ebay.ca search pages. Upon the second occurrence of this happening I took the time to record the details.

System Details

• Windows 10 64 bit with auto updates enabled
  • Windows Defender
  • Chrome browser Version 66.0.3359.181 (Official Build) (64-bit
  • Chrome pop-up blocker enabled
  • Trusteer Rapport endpoint protection running on ebay.ca and ebay.com

Event Details

• where - ebay.ca domain
  • what I was doing -  searching in Antiques > Furniture > Parts & Salvaged Pieces
  • search terms used - claw glass ball; claw glass ball foot; glass ball foot
  • what happened - after spending a few minutes reviewing search results I was redirected to a non ebay.ca page (not a pop-up)
  • the fraudulent page was presenting itself to be a "Microsoft Rewards" page. Users of Bing will be aware of Microsoft's current rewards program promoting the use of Edge and Bing. (clever marketing imo)
  • Trusteer Rapport would not allow me to take screenshots, could not over-ride the block which is unusual, so took pics with my phone, attached below.
  • This occurred on a clean infection free system, it has been thoroughly scanned by several anti-virus, anti-malware programs including BitDefender Total Security which found nothing malicious.

This is an important point .... these adventures occur ONLY, repeat ONLY while browsing the ebay.ca search results. This has never occurred while browsing any other domain I've visited throughout the WWW .... not even on ebay.com. 

As a consequence of these events I now feel it necessary to avoid ebay.ca with the exception of the Seller Hub and associated pages. I now use ebay.com exclusively to perform searches.

Imagine the reactions of ebay.ca shoppers when they are exposed to this mischief ...  and there are surely many thousands of them!!

User is re-directed from an ebay.ca search results page to this address, not to a new tab or window.The page imitates a Windows dialog screen, obviously  I did not click OK!

The new page fills the entire browser viewing area except for the address and bookmarks bar.

This domain has been around and attempting to scam people for years, in the past through phony emails.

Hi @kawartha-ephemera - thanks so much for getting me all this detail (the photo with the URL is particularly helpful).

I'm not sure what's happening or going on here, but with you and @rose-dee experiencing the same things very recently I'm concerned.

I've gotten this reported and will keep you both updated as I hear anything back. If you run into anything like this again please grab the information you can, and get it to me so I can add to the ticket. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@lucitabby wrote:

Hello Tyler,

On the ebay Home page there is a scrolling  ad - one of the ads is the red Shop Canadian.  If you click on the Shop Canadian, it takes you to a page that says Buy Canadian under which there are categories - click on Books, then click on Antiquarian & Collectible - there are over 4,000 - to narrow it down, click on Topic, Canada.  Now you have 87 books.  None are mine.

Where are:

These 3 books are listed in Books - Antiquarian & Collectible- Topic-Canada.

Another question is - Why are Collectibles not listed under the Buy Canadian categories?

Thank you,

Judith

Hi @lucitabby - just wanted to let you know that I heard back on this and that the 'Buy Canadian' banner is being used to showcase great deals from Canadian sellers. This includes great prices, good photos and buyer perks like free shipping. Not all items that are listed on eBay Canada will display.

Still waiting for more input on the Collectibles category when it comes to this too. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 23
latest reply