May 26 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat up for your questions. I'll be around tomorrow to begin working on answers. 

Thanks!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: May 26 2021 Weekly Session

Hi Tyler,

My questions are about accepting "Best Offers."

I almost accepted this. Then I read the buyer's message. I've kept them anonymous. The buyer sent me an acceptable offer but then in his added message he makes a SECONDARY CLAUSE to only buy if I cut the shipping cost in half.  I have 2 questions for you:

1. Suppose I accepted this offer without reading his message? Who would be on the hook for the 50% shipping he requests? I'm assuming if I accepted eBay would bill him the full amount. Then there would be a dispute. Are sellers bound by messages added on to Best Offers?

2. Why are Buyers allowed to manipulate the "Best Offer" feature like this putting Sellers at risk? 

Thank you. 

ITWM2021-05-25 Secondary Offer In Msgs Buyer Anon.jpg

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The buyer isn't manipulating the "best offer" feature. It's up to the seller to read any messages attached. The buyer should have sent you a message proir to making an offer but the buyer chose to add a message instead.

I see your piont, because I accepted an offer one time without reading the message and the buyer wrote, "including shipping".  So I bite the bullet and gave him free shipping... the lesson is read all messages attached to best offer and act accordingingly. 

If you want the sale send the buyer a counter offer with a message saying "shipping not included" or "plus shipping".

If your not happy with the offer just decline it or let it expire, the buyer will get the message.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's been my understanding that Best Offers cannot accept changes to the shipping, which after all is not a profit centre and is based on actual shipping costs.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

That's very interesting... but the buyers offer is prior to a sale where a seller can adjust the shipping cost if he/she choses.

It would be interesting to know if the buyer is in violation of policy by asking for a shipping discount through the best offer message system. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hi silverpinups

re: Added On "Terms Of Sale", "Read the fine Print" or, "Should Best Offers Have "Price Subject To Changing The Listing"?

I can't agree with you.

I think you may have missed the points which are;

Is a Seller "obligated" to read and abide by messages that are external to Best Offers"? I don't think this is a matter of what you should or shouldn't have to do outside of accepting the dollar figure offered.

Suppose I ACCEPTED his offer but also sent the buyer this message. "OK, agreed I'll pay half the shipping cost  but I'm only shipping half the order". 

and;

If the onus is on Sellers to abide by external contractual obligations buried in an added message then why aren't Buyers advised they can't make listing changes outside of the asking price or  at least advised to submit any  contract changes BEFORE sending an Offer?

Without that addon terms of sale provide an opportunity for a scam. You've said it happened to you.  buyer scam or Seller mistake it doesn't matter. You lost by not reading the msg.  You got robbed and sucked it up.  That shouldn't have happened. What if it was a big item enroute to Australia and the freight was $200. Did you contact the buyer to explain the mistake?  

I think Buyer scam or Seller negligence it should be grounds to cancel the sale without penalty. 

Finally, I'm not a big fan of "Counter Offering". It ties up your item for two days waiting for their answer.  You're much better off to decline the offer and then add a msg saying "Sorry, can't take $$$ but I would take $$$ if you send me another offer."

This way no one pays a penalty and the Buyer gets your counter offeer anyway without tying up your item for two days. (Unless they are negligent by not reading your msg )

ITWM

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I'm interested to see what Tyler says... if this is a best offer policy violation or not... 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@intimewithmusic wrote:

Hi Tyler,

My questions are about accepting "Best Offers."

I almost accepted this. Then I read the buyer's message. I've kept them anonymous. The buyer sent me an acceptable offer but then in his added message he makes a SECONDARY CLAUSE to only buy if I cut the shipping cost in half.  I have 2 questions for you:

1. Suppose I accepted this offer without reading his message? Who would be on the hook for the 50% shipping he requests? I'm assuming if I accepted eBay would bill him the full amount. Then there would be a dispute. Are sellers bound by messages added on to Best Offers?

2. Why are Buyers allowed to manipulate the "Best Offer" feature like this putting Sellers at risk? 

Thank you. 

ITWM2021-05-25 Secondary Offer In Msgs Buyer Anon.jpg

Hi @intimewithmusic - I'm glad you saw the message prior to accepting the offer! In regards to your questions:

1. Best Offers do not include shipping as long as you have shipping costs stated in your listings (we tell buyers that too). If you were to accept the offer the buyer would be charged the full shipping when they went to checkout. 

If you were to have accepted this offer and the buyer was then upset you didn't include the shipping discount they put into the comments section you could either choose to cancel the order with the Buyer requested/problem with buyer's address, or for non-payment after the time frame has passed. 

The only situation in which we would ask you to honor the agreement is if you had no stated shipping cost in your listing - at that point we would consider the cost of shipping to be 'in play'. 

2. The Best Offer process isn't ideal (the comment box being the first issue, the inability to require immediate payment is the second). I have been told this has been something under consideration for future enhancement, though I haven't been given any details or a timeline. Please know that as long as you have stated shipping charges in your listing you are not accountable if a buyer puts shipping in the comments section of a Best Offer. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for participating in the chat today! It's now closed, but will return next week. 🙂

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 9
latest reply