October 6 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

October already!

Opening the chat up for your questions - I will begin working on answers tomorrow afternoon/evening. 

Thanks!

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Hi Tyler,

Is there a problem with eBay getting updates on tracking? I have one item that shows just out for delivery under My Orders in the hub but Canada Post shows it as delivered to the recipient. How do I get this updated correctly in eBay?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I have been having similar problems with tracking being incorrect or not updating also. Tracking used to show all the steps where the package was, now it only shows a generic "on it's way" or "delivered". For delivered items, some haven't updated after days, others update within minutes!? I had to start listing all my items on Canada Post site so I would know where they were at.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@msau4301Given the number of panicky posts about shipments that take the scenic route on the way to the buyer, I wonder if this was done on purpose? Tracking is a Seller Protection and seems to cause more anguish for buyers than help.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Yes you are right! I have to just stop looking so often...should be assuming all is okay. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

G'morning Tyler,

Regarding ongoing issues.

1. Has eBay had any luck with the recent cases of sellers being unable to connect their sales tax table correctly? Last post on this was a response from Jasmen(Sept 15 weekly) that eBay was still looking into it but nothing since. Are these handled/addressed as one ofs or is ebay still baffled. There are reports of this going back to June but never any follow up.
  2. Status on oft reported concern of inaccurate shipping windows. These are what sellers and buyers depend on being accurate. Advising each time an inaccurate number is displayed is a non starter. The connected side affect is the very short window where eBay is now removing that most important contact information. Information required for filing claims with postal carriers before items have a chance to be delivered that can require additional waiting times before one can proceed.  This makes the process extremely difficult to complete. Saw 1 recent report of eBay  purging after 14 days. International tracked and deliveries to the far north of Canada routinely can take longer than 14 days to arrive.  With PayPal this info  was accessable/available indefinitely. 
  3. Echo the above repeated concern regarding eBay tracking utility not being in sync with the actual data. This is what sellers and buyers would like to rely on but has been almost impossible to do so over the last few years. (For the naysayers on tracking, buyers rely on it to know when something is out for delivery and for sellers as a headsup to stop holding their breath. Info in the middle is just a bonus.) 
  4. For concerns regarding "suspicious" listings is there something build in to add additional information.  In viewing what is there currently, It's a collection of checkboxes that don't apply for all situations. In some cases there may be valid reasons why a listing is showing but very difficult for Joe or Judy buyer to understand why. They can only report to the best of their ability.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The tracking  when viewed on eBay is an absolute mess.

I take the tracking number... the one I put on eBay  .....and  view the tracking on the Canada Post website.

eBay's favouriite wording for tracking  is... in transit.... and many times weeks after the parcel has been delivered  and I have received feedback.

My most interesting situation with eBay "tracking".....  I had two books that were sold....  eBay indicated that one was delivered to Canada Post on December 17  while the second book was listed as delivered to Canada Post on December 18.

The BIG problem was that both of these books were mailed in the same parcel on December 17.

eBay must find a way for buyers to go to Canada Post  and view tracking for a parcel on Canada Post.

The tracking number is a Canada Post number,  and should be viewed as presented by Canada Post

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

The tracking  when viewed on eBay is an absolute mess.

I take the tracking number... the one I put on eBay  .....and  view the tracking on the Canada Post website.

eBay's favouriite wording for tracking  is... in transit.... and many times weeks after the parcel has been delivered  and I have received feedback.

My most interesting situation with eBay "tracking".....  I had two books that were sold....  eBay indicated that one was delivered to Canada Post on December 17  while the second book was listed as delivered to Canada Post on December 18.

The BIG problem was that both of these books were mailed in the same parcel on December 17.

eBay must find a way for buyers to go to Canada Post  and view tracking for a parcel on Canada Post.

The tracking number is a Canada Post number,  and should be viewed as presented by Canada Post

Just like how eBay and PayPal were once partners, so should CP/USPS/FEDEX/Shippo and ummm Ayden etc be considered ongoing partners. They need to be on constant speaking terms. When they become the long forgotten cousin that no one talks about it's really not a good situation.

Similar to when eBay Facebook contact has an ummm major systems malfunction and there is very little in the way of a backup plan. Was that even addressed in eBay announcements? Appears no on both dot ca or dot com.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Tyler,

Is there a problem with eBay getting updates on tracking? I have one item that shows just out for delivery under My Orders in the hub but Canada Post shows it as delivered to the recipient. How do I get this updated correctly in eBay?

Thanks.

Hey guys!

Thanks @msmaggie060 and @msau4301 for bringing this up and sorry to hear you're running into this. Hisotically it can happed due to a delay with data being processed but I'll get it looked at to make sure nothings broken! 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

G'morning Tyler,

Regarding ongoing issues.

1. Has eBay had any luck with the recent cases of sellers being unable to connect their sales tax table correctly? Last post on this was a response from Jasmen(Sept 15 weekly) that eBay was still looking into it but nothing since. Are these handled/addressed as one ofs or is ebay still baffled. There are reports of this going back to June but never any follow up.
  2. Status on oft reported concern of inaccurate shipping windows. These are what sellers and buyers depend on being accurate. Advising each time an inaccurate number is displayed is a non starter. The connected side affect is the very short window where eBay is now removing that most important contact information. Information required for filing claims with postal carriers before items have a chance to be delivered that can require additional waiting times before one can proceed.  This makes the process extremely difficult to complete. Saw 1 recent report of eBay  purging after 14 days. International tracked and deliveries to the far north of Canada routinely can take longer than 14 days to arrive.  With PayPal this info  was accessable/available indefinitely. 
  3. Echo the above repeated concern regarding eBay tracking utility not being in sync with the actual data. This is what sellers and buyers would like to rely on but has been almost impossible to do so over the last few years. (For the naysayers on tracking, buyers rely on it to know when something is out for delivery and for sellers as a headsup to stop holding their breath. Info in the middle is just a bonus.) 
  4. For concerns regarding "suspicious" listings is there something build in to add additional information.  In viewing what is there currently, It's a collection of checkboxes that don't apply for all situations. In some cases there may be valid reasons why a listing is showing but very difficult for Joe or Judy buyer to understand why. They can only report to the best of their ability.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies!

1. The issue is still being worked on and we do not have an update to provide at this time (other than that).

2.  Shipping windows are displaying accurately according to the last update from the shipping team. Information on a transaction should be available for you to view up to 90 days after the transaction was initiated. If you can get me more detail about what data is going missing after 14 days that would be helpful. 

3. Historically, the tracking update delays are tied to data handoff issues between us and the couriers involved. We'll get this passed on!

4. The additional comments box should be available for most 'report a listing' flows. It depends on the exact reason tree, as some don't necessarily need further clarification (sometimes they're very clear violations). If you can let me know which report flows you feel are missing a notes box I'll get that suggestion made. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat today - it's now closed but will return next week!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11
latest reply