September 1 2021 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat up for your questions. I'll begin working on replies tomorrow afternoon. 

Thanks, 

Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Hi Tyler, at last week’s session you asked me a question about the ‘economy shipping from the US’. I mostly use CP letterpost which, as you know, is not tracked. I would think that any shipping dates eBay is setting up are probably based on tracked services since most US sellers are able to use tracking when shipping. How would they even know how long untracked items take to arrive if there is no tracking? Have they ever asked about length of time for items using ‘Economy from outside the US’ from any Canadian sellers? 

Anyway, thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

Most economy services should reach a US buyer within that 11-day window. Could you let us know which services you’ve been using specifically?

If you can get me any details from the last sentence that would be helpful. Because the 'economy shipping from outside US' is a generic service (it's not tied to a specific courier or service) the EDD generated is a broad one averaged from most other shipping services. If you can let us know which are taking longer I can get that back to the team and they can work that into their models.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Hi Tyler, I ship most of my items from the state of New York and have been using Paypal to pay for shipping. My Paypal balance ran out of US money and the transfer from  my US account in the states hasn’t come through yet so I figured I’d have to use my US account in Canada to purchase the labels but I can’t find any way of not using paypal. Is there a way of printing USPS labels without using paypal? I desperatley need to get them printed

Thanks for any help

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Shippo allows Canadians to buy USPS labels.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

A couple of points related to the economy shipping from outside the US time....

Standard shipping from outside the US shows an eta on listings of 5-10 business days

Economy shipping from outside the US shows an eta on listings of 5-11 business days - 1 day more.

Does that sound right?

I have a difficult time believing that they actually use 2 identical times because that's what the tracking shows them.   And..in the case of shipping from Canada to the US...it's unlikely that economy shipping has tracking at all.

When a seller is setting up a listing on the sell your item form, it states that standard shipping is 5-10 business days (+handling) and that economy shipping is 11-23 days + h. It has shown those times for years.  But now ebay lets sellers believe if they chose economy  shipping they are offering a longer shipping time but in reality ebay is giving them an almost identical time to standard shipping.   The time shown on the sell your item form  should match what eBay going to show the buyer...and until recently it did.
Thanks for reading!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Follow up to last post: Comparisons for known services.

eBay

- For USA Small packet air shows same estimates for AZ/FL/MA/TN 5 to 11 business days/5 to 8 for tracked

CP provides no estimates for US Sm. Pkt Air.  Tracked shows 10 business days.

It takes 4 to 5 days minimum Calgary to LAX for customs processing.

As relayed previously the estimates for Small Packet Intl Air are just as off.

eBay - From Calgary to UK estimate 6-13 business days (tracked 7 to 11) 

CP - Estimate unknown/ Tracked 14 days

eBay - From Calgary to Sweden estimate is 5 to 10 business days (tracked 7 to 11) 

CP - Estimate unknown/Tracked 28 days

eBay - From Calgary to Germany estimate jumps 8 to 28 business days (tracked 8 to 13)

CP Estimate unknown/Tracked 9 days

From Calgary to Australia estimate is 7 to 14 business days (tracked 7 to 11)

CP Estimate unknown/tracked 17 days

This is still not factoring in any announced customs delays due to VAT processing in any of the systems.

If I update location to several hours W of Edmonton see exact same estimates with eBay

Mirrored results for shipping from  Ontario. Times vary by location if you use the CP tool.

Economy shipping is not an option for most sellers because rates vary too much based on size or possible destinations. Many buyers are making the purchasing decisioned using the information provided by eBay. If this is NOT accurate it causes rush to INR with limited recourse other than refunding. Buyers tend to be extremely happy to be refunded. Not so happy to repay. Most of the time.

-Lotz

PS. Official tracked services are NOT a realistic work around for sellers selling low valued items from Canada internationally.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@msmaggie060 wrote:

Hi Tyler, at last week’s session you asked me a question about the ‘economy shipping from the US’. I mostly use CP letterpost which, as you know, is not tracked. I would think that any shipping dates eBay is setting up are probably based on tracked services since most US sellers are able to use tracking when shipping. How would they even know how long untracked items take to arrive if there is no tracking? Have they ever asked about length of time for items using ‘Economy from outside the US’ from any Canadian sellers? 

Anyway, thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

Most economy services should reach a US buyer within that 11-day window. Could you let us know which services you’ve been using specifically?

If you can get me any details from the last sentence that would be helpful. Because the 'economy shipping from outside US' is a generic service (it's not tied to a specific courier or service) the EDD generated is a broad one averaged from most other shipping services. If you can let us know which are taking longer I can get that back to the team and they can work that into their models.

Thanks @msmaggie060 - I'll let the Shipping team know! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@bunbar wrote:

Hi Tyler, I ship most of my items from the state of New York and have been using Paypal to pay for shipping. My Paypal balance ran out of US money and the transfer from  my US account in the states hasn’t come through yet so I figured I’d have to use my US account in Canada to purchase the labels but I can’t find any way of not using paypal. Is there a way of printing USPS labels without using paypal? I desperatley need to get them printed

Thanks for any help

Hi @bunbar - I hope that the transfer comes through quickly for you! @reallynicestamps is correct about Shippo - that's probably the service I'd recommend just because it's one I'm more familiar with. 

The only other thing I think you could consider is actually purchasing it direct from USPS.com, but I think you'd run into the same USD/CAD issue there (from what I understand USPS will only accept USD on their site). 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

A couple of points related to the economy shipping from outside the US time....

Standard shipping from outside the US shows an eta on listings of 5-10 business days

Economy shipping from outside the US shows an eta on listings of 5-11 business days - 1 day more.

Does that sound right?

I have a difficult time believing that they actually use 2 identical times because that's what the tracking shows them.   And..in the case of shipping from Canada to the US...it's unlikely that economy shipping has tracking at all.

When a seller is setting up a listing on the sell your item form, it states that standard shipping is 5-10 business days (+handling) and that economy shipping is 11-23 days + h. It has shown those times for years.  But now ebay lets sellers believe if they chose economy  shipping they are offering a longer shipping time but in reality ebay is giving them an almost identical time to standard shipping.   The time shown on the sell your item form  should match what eBay going to show the buyer...and until recently it did.
Thanks for reading!

Hi @pjcdn2005 - thanks for the comments! I'll make sure that these thoughts get to the Shipping team. What I've been told currently is that the timeframes displayed on the shipping tab of your listing is the 'right' time frame, and that the time listed in the listing form is incorrect. That is supposed to be in the process of being updated, though I haven't gotten an update on that recently. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Follow up to last post: Comparisons for known services.

eBay

- For USA Small packet air shows same estimates for AZ/FL/MA/TN 5 to 11 business days/5 to 8 for tracked

CP provides no estimates for US Sm. Pkt Air.  Tracked shows 10 business days.

It takes 4 to 5 days minimum Calgary to LAX for customs processing.

As relayed previously the estimates for Small Packet Intl Air are just as off.

eBay - From Calgary to UK estimate 6-13 business days (tracked 7 to 11) 

CP - Estimate unknown/ Tracked 14 days

eBay - From Calgary to Sweden estimate is 5 to 10 business days (tracked 7 to 11) 

CP - Estimate unknown/Tracked 28 days

eBay - From Calgary to Germany estimate jumps 8 to 28 business days (tracked 8 to 13)

CP Estimate unknown/Tracked 9 days

From Calgary to Australia estimate is 7 to 14 business days (tracked 7 to 11)

CP Estimate unknown/tracked 17 days

This is still not factoring in any announced customs delays due to VAT processing in any of the systems.

If I update location to several hours W of Edmonton see exact same estimates with eBay

Mirrored results for shipping from  Ontario. Times vary by location if you use the CP tool.

Economy shipping is not an option for most sellers because rates vary too much based on size or possible destinations. Many buyers are making the purchasing decisioned using the information provided by eBay. If this is NOT accurate it causes rush to INR with limited recourse other than refunding. Buyers tend to be extremely happy to be refunded. Not so happy to repay. Most of the time.

-Lotz

PS. Official tracked services are NOT a realistic work around for sellers selling low valued items from Canada internationally.

Thanks @lotzofuniquegoodies

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat today! It's closed now, but will be back next week!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 11
latest reply