As a new seller what type of envelope, mailer or box is cheapest to ship an article of clothing to the US from Canada using Canada Post?

For example articles that wouldn't be too big or chunky like dresses etc? I'm assuming I can fit them into a bubble envelope or something but I'm really lost as to where to begin and would like to hear some best practices from Canadian sellers. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

As a new seller what type of envelope, mailer or box is cheapest to ship an article of clothing to the US from Canada using Canada Post?

oskye
Community Member

Canadian shipping is a bit of a minefield.  And the recent hike in costs hasn't helped.

Cost is based on: 1 - size, 2 - weight, 3 - destination, 4 - contents.  

For something like a clothing item, destination cost is fairly similar everywhere outside Canada.  (Within Canada, it gets nitpicky and depends on where you are and where it is going.)

Contents are an issue if trying to go Lettermail or Light/Small packet. (Best to consult the Canada Post website, or the staff at your local post office for details.) 

For you, the main concerns will be size / weight. AND the "Magic Slot" - a specific size mail slot that all envelopes must fit.  You may be able to get the item into a bubble envelope, but if it bulges too much and cannot slide easily through the slot, the price bumps up significantly.

Small or thin items, such as a silk scarf, or a pair of gloves or socks (for example) could likely be fine with a bubble.  Anything bulkier and you might as well go small flat box - but check the dimensions to stay within the parameters.

You might want to try what I did as a test.  I packaged up several of my typical items in different ways - envelope, small box, flat box, etc. - as if I was going to ship.  Weighted them and calculated the cost to different desitinations via the Canada Post Online calculator:

http://www.postescanada.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s1

You can also run different sizes, etc through the calculator.  Be prepared for some heart-attack inducing numbers!

Then I took this same set of sample parcels to the post-office and asked them to give me the shipping costs. (Do this when they aren't busy!)  You may be surprised to find they give you better numbers.  And they may advise on a better method or parcel (depending on how friendly and flexible the agents are at your location).

Hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Wow! That was super helpful! Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I have a thing about bubble envelopes. They are much less useful than sellers think.

Primarily, they are thick. So a silk scarf in a bubble envelope may exceed the 2 cm that Letter/LightPacket shipping allows, pushing the shipping fee way up.

They offer little protection for something breakable.

They can be bent.

They are not particularly waterproof.

Better for many items would be a stiffener, corrugated card or coroplast, in a poly envelope. Thinner and more lightweight. That scarf would be fastened to the stiffener so it doesn't slip, bunch up and get caught in the line machinery.

Or perhaps a card envelope like those used for Priority Post or shipping CDs. (But not PP itself. That way runs to bankruptcy. Just the type of envelope.)

You can buy boxes that can be made to fit various sizes from ULine or Cheswick.

http://www.uline.ca/BL_407/Multi-Depth-Boxes

http://www.uline.ca/BL_1304/Jumbo-Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank-you!

This is very helpful too! Most of my items are small summer dresses that would be pretty thin if I place them in one of those off white plastic envelopes. I'm going to have to buy a few to see which size I'm guessing.

Has anyone tried the Canada Post ebay pack envelopes? Would they accommodate small clothing?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

Hi:  Sorry - can't help on the Canada Post eBay envelopes.

Try reposting that question as a new Subject item and maybe someone will have tried them.  

Good luck! 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

oskye
Community Member

Canadian shipping is a bit of a minefield.  And the recent hike in costs hasn't helped.

Cost is based on: 1 - size, 2 - weight, 3 - destination, 4 - contents.  

For something like a clothing item, destination cost is fairly similar everywhere outside Canada.  (Within Canada, it gets nitpicky and depends on where you are and where it is going.)

Contents are an issue if trying to go Lettermail or Light/Small packet. (Best to consult the Canada Post website, or the staff at your local post office for details.) 

For you, the main concerns will be size / weight. AND the "Magic Slot" - a specific size mail slot that all envelopes must fit.  You may be able to get the item into a bubble envelope, but if it bulges too much and cannot slide easily through the slot, the price bumps up significantly.

Small or thin items, such as a silk scarf, or a pair of gloves or socks (for example) could likely be fine with a bubble.  Anything bulkier and you might as well go small flat box - but check the dimensions to stay within the parameters.

You might want to try what I did as a test.  I packaged up several of my typical items in different ways - envelope, small box, flat box, etc. - as if I was going to ship.  Weighted them and calculated the cost to different desitinations via the Canada Post Online calculator:

http://www.postescanada.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s1

You can also run different sizes, etc through the calculator.  Be prepared for some heart-attack inducing numbers!

Then I took this same set of sample parcels to the post-office and asked them to give me the shipping costs. (Do this when they aren't busy!)  You may be surprised to find they give you better numbers.  And they may advise on a better method or parcel (depending on how friendly and flexible the agents are at your location).

Hope this helps a bit!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Wow! That was super helpful! Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I have a thing about bubble envelopes. They are much less useful than sellers think.

Primarily, they are thick. So a silk scarf in a bubble envelope may exceed the 2 cm that Letter/LightPacket shipping allows, pushing the shipping fee way up.

They offer little protection for something breakable.

They can be bent.

They are not particularly waterproof.

Better for many items would be a stiffener, corrugated card or coroplast, in a poly envelope. Thinner and more lightweight. That scarf would be fastened to the stiffener so it doesn't slip, bunch up and get caught in the line machinery.

Or perhaps a card envelope like those used for Priority Post or shipping CDs. (But not PP itself. That way runs to bankruptcy. Just the type of envelope.)

You can buy boxes that can be made to fit various sizes from ULine or Cheswick.

http://www.uline.ca/BL_407/Multi-Depth-Boxes

http://www.uline.ca/BL_1304/Jumbo-Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank-you!

This is very helpful too! Most of my items are small summer dresses that would be pretty thin if I place them in one of those off white plastic envelopes. I'm going to have to buy a few to see which size I'm guessing.

Has anyone tried the Canada Post ebay pack envelopes? Would they accommodate small clothing?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

Hi:  Sorry - can't help on the Canada Post eBay envelopes.

Try reposting that question as a new Subject item and maybe someone will have tried them.  

Good luck! 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply