Bay states that in the guidelines for selling items that after the item has sold we should only char

Ebay states sellers should only charge actual fees for shipping.Wait eBay takes ten percent so I am losing money charging actual shipping rates but not due toi my greed but due to e bays fees on shipping.,It is impossible without loosing money.Thanks and we should all explain to the customer we would love to provide cheaper shipping rates we would like to follow e bays suggestions but they suggestion is without due diligence.Ebay make s charging actual rates impossible.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

"fees for shipping" does not mean "postage cost only" -- it means all shipping costs.

If you use calculated shipping the rate charged your customer is the Canada Post base rate. It does not include discounts when the label is bought online. Those discounts help cover the extra fees.

For oversize lettermail I charge the actual stamp face value -- but I buy discounted stamps (primarily on eBay) saving 20% or more. Which helps cover the other costs.

For selling I  mainly use the forest approach -- the total cost of the sale versus what I hope to sell it for.  As versus the tree method of covering individual costs separately.

-..-

As Femme said, you can charge a handling fee. That is what I do for my letter mail shipments. I charge about $0.30 per order. It's not much, but it covers some of the costs. You can charge more if you want. A reasonable cost is less than $3.00 (in my opinion as a buyer).

As for my other shipments, I do not charge a handling fee, because my discount with Shippo covers my eBay fees - most of the time.

You are also allowed to charge a handling fee.

But remember if you are printing a shipping label through SnapShip or Shippo, you are getting a discount on the label.

That 5% or more covers the cost of postage which in turn includes any insurance, fuel surcharges or taxes.

You can use Calculated Shipping and include a handling percentage or flat price . The handling fee will not be seen by the customer as a line item.

Or you can use Flat Rate Shipping which can include your handling costs. With your products, this would not work well since parcel rates are partly based on destination as well as measurements and weight.

And your actual shipping cost also should include your packaging costs.

It's sloppy language, which usually signals sloppy thinking on the part of the writer.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts