Disputing Post-Purchase Shipping Charge Change (eBay/PayPal Mess)

On Friday afternoon (Feb.1) I got an email alert from one of my saved searches indicating that a video-game I am interested in was available (Buy-it-now) for $0.99 + $5.72 shipping.

When I clicked the link to open the page, it said that it was $0.99 + $10.55 shipping so I passed it over. (Yes, I accounted for destination; the other saved searches showed the correct shipping charge for my location when I opened the page.)

The next night, I contacted the seller to ask them about the discrepancy and they assured me that shipping to Canada was $6 and that they would refund the difference after I made the payment. It was a few cents more than expected, but still acceptable, so I decide to get it.

The next day I purchased the game and noticed that during the checkout process, there was no Request Total From Seller option (presumably only available for multi-item purchases), which I assume is why they had to refund the difference instead of fixing it at that point.

A few hours later, they shipped it and then a day after that (today), I got a PayPal email about a refund, however it was only for $3 and had a note about the shipping company raising their rates.

Like I said, I had specifically asked about the shipping being higher before purchasing it. I know the USPS raised the cost of a letter stamp by 1 cent last week, but sending an envelope to Canada can still be done for as little as $3.50 (in fact, I bought three other games during the weekend for $3-$5 shipping just like I had done dozens of times from dozens of sellers over the last several years).

I never would have spent $9+ on an old, used, scratched game, so I tried to open a dispute (I’ve learned my lesson about putting it off and trying email the hard way). PayPal only offered Problem with Item and Unauthorized Transaction as options, so I selected PWI and Shipping Related Charges as the sub-reason. When I submitted it, PayPal complained that “This type of transaction cannot be disputed” even though it had JUST let me do so.

I opened the case to view it and saw that it said the case was closed for being open for more than 20 days. Huh?! I clicked the Escalate Case button to get an actual human to view it instead of an—obviously defective—script, and it complained that I had opened it less than three days ago.

What the hell is going on? Are eBay and PayPal schizophrenic? Do they not know what they hell they are doing? Why does each page contradict the next? Why are there so many inconsistencies and inaccuracies?

What is the proper/best way to resolve this?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well the seller agreed to the refund request shortly after I opened the dispute.

After taking a few hits, I learned my lesson to always open a formal case if there are any problems.

That way it is on the record and you don’t get strung along with the please-wait scam that I was bitten by twice. If it is a formal case, then they can’t just say we sent it, please wait for it to arrive; oh, it didn’t come? we sent another one, please wait. If it is on record, then they are more likely to actually help resolve the issue.

What’s odd is that when I complained here about getting ripped off, I was blamed and told it was my fault for not opening a case right away, but at the same time, they also nagged that if I do, then they would block me as a buyer. 😐 Fortunately most sellers are sane, rational, honest people and overall, I have had more positive experiences than negative.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You agreed to $6. , paid $10.55 , seller refunded $3. so this issue is over $1.55. ?

Looking to seller is the only resolve.  Seller reneged on their promise so if $1.55 upsets  , reflect in feedback.

PayPal coverage is for item not received or received and not as described. PP will close any attempt to file any other and has nothing to do with 20 days.

This is a 2000 seller who , i'm sure, could have sent a corrected invoice had one been requested.

I cannot find $5.72 anywhere in that listing.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I rounded down, but yes, it is ~$2. That may not sound like much to some people, but to many, it is indeed a lot. I don’t like paying more than ~$5 for old, used games (especially one that specifically says is scratched--which I inquired about the extent before as well to make sure they're not too severe). I made an exception this time because it was less than $2 extra for something I had waited a while to find. Like I said, if I was told the truth that it would be $11.54, I never, ever would have agreed, especially since there were several other copies that totaled less than that, including some that were brand-new and sealed. Why would I pay more for a used, scratched one‽

I can take screenshots of the pages and emails if required.

To say that there is nothing that can be done when a deal is changed and/or done under false pretenses is absurd. eBay (and its PayPal division) must be trustable, otherwise you are saying that we should never trust any sellers and assume they are all going to scam us, which of course would drastically drop the number of transactions since only very rich people who can afford to lose money would bother and everybody else would have to eschew the site. Surely eBay is not trying to send the message that poor or low-income people are not welcome?

I performed my due-diligence and inquired about the increased shipping that that calculator was showing before buying. What the heck more can I possibly do?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I do not doubt your word but have no idea why $5.72 appeared.

Money or principle. Was leaning toward principle..seller did not keep their word.

There is nothing eBay/PP can do about either hence feedback.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Yes, but we all know that feedback is essentially useless. They already provide the ability to open a case for various reasons, I don’t see why this should be any different. There should be a way to file a dispute for any legitimate reason, which this certainly is.

As for the $5.72, perhaps the seller changed the amount between the time the alert was sent and when I opened the page. In that case, then they lied about the actual cost; but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and presume that they simply assumed it was $6 and didn't bother to check even after I said it was indicating higher (which of course is their fault; I did everything within my power to avoid a problem).

Either way, I made sure to file a dispute to make it official instead of just sending emails because I have been bitten a couple of times before by doing what eBay and PayPal say and contacting the seller instead of opening a dispute. When I tried to complain and ask for help here, I was actually scolded and blamed and told to open a formal dispute. Aside from paying too much, I am particularly incensed because I could have bought a new copy for less.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Well the seller agreed to the refund request shortly after I opened the dispute.

After taking a few hits, I learned my lesson to always open a formal case if there are any problems.

That way it is on the record and you don’t get strung along with the please-wait scam that I was bitten by twice. If it is a formal case, then they can’t just say we sent it, please wait for it to arrive; oh, it didn’t come? we sent another one, please wait. If it is on record, then they are more likely to actually help resolve the issue.

What’s odd is that when I complained here about getting ripped off, I was blamed and told it was my fault for not opening a case right away, but at the same time, they also nagged that if I do, then they would block me as a buyer. 😐 Fortunately most sellers are sane, rational, honest people and overall, I have had more positive experiences than negative.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply