Duty/Brokerage Fees on Item Shipped from China to Canada

Hi, i just ordered some electronic components (Resistors) from a seller located in china. I am wondering what kind of fees should i expect when the parcel actually arrives. The item Costs C $1.88 and the shipping was Free -  Economy Int'l Shipping. i am quite worried that i will be paying unreasonably high brokerage fees or other fees that will be tacked on by the time my package arrives. This is my first transaction with eBay and i have not shipped from places other than the US before. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

UPS/FEDEX are courier services, not mail. Yes they charge an expensive brokerage fee for clearing customs but , again, not unless item is over $20. CDN.

China sellers offering free shipping use the cheapest mail and delivery runs to 30 days. Claims for items not received can be filed in the resolution center of your PayPal account up to 45 days. Always file no later than day 43 from payment date.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

by the way, i live near halifax in Nova Scotia.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If the item is valued as $1.88, and that is what the seller declares it as on the customs label, you won't have to pay duties.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

These is no tax/duty on items valued (sale price excluding shipping) under $20. canadian.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

okay that's good, but what about the miscellaneous fees like handling and brokerage? i read somewhere that brokerage can be extremely high depending on which postal service delivers (like UPS) and the shipping method.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

UPS/FEDEX are courier services, not mail. Yes they charge an expensive brokerage fee for clearing customs but , again, not unless item is over $20. CDN.

China sellers offering free shipping use the cheapest mail and delivery runs to 30 days. Claims for items not received can be filed in the resolution center of your PayPal account up to 45 days. Always file no later than day 43 from payment date.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

thank you. your input helped

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

For items over $20. , its taxes HST 15% , duty , if any. and Canada Post fee of $9.95 for collecting on behalf of Customs.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply