Shipping cost at checkout 4X higher than indicated on the posting

I made an offer on an item, where the shipping cost just below the posting was reasonable.

When my offer was accepted I went to pay for it. And the shipping then was about 4X higher than below the posting. 

The seller in the typed description below had indicated this (much) higher shipping cost. So I checked what it would be if I bought it outright, and it showed the lower shipping cost. So, I thought the ebay shipping cost would apply.

Has anyone dealt with this? I don't understand why the much higher shipping cost. It's for a figurine, shipping from Argentina internationally. I'm wondering if this just a money grab by the seller, and that ebay's price is the actual one ... .

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Is your seller in the US or UK?

Is he shipping to Canada with the Global Shipping Program?

If so, then the increase is Canadian duty (anything over ~$16USD ) possibly, Canadian sales taxes (5%-15% depending on province) certainly, and ~$5 service fee.

Sales taxes are due even if there is no duty.

The duty (if any) is based on place of manufacture, not where you bought it.

Most of that money will go to the Canadian government, but it is collected by the GSP -- just like sales taxes are collected by the cashier at WalMart and then remitted to Revenue Canada.

If you feel you are being scammed, or the price for shipping is unreasonable, you do not have to pay. It is always good to complete your transactions, but not if you are getting ripped off.

Ask a Question
Top Helpful Posts