What is the best way to ship comics or similar items from Canada to US with delivery confirmation?

What is the most cost-effective method to ship comics via Canada Post to the USA with a Paypal-accepted proof delivery?

Size-wise, I am looking at shipping items in large document envelopes with cardboard protection. They are in the gray area where the value is too much for me to feel comfortable shipping without some protection from scammers, but not enough to spend $50+ on shipping.

I am having a very hard time definitively finding the answer on the Canada Post site, and the people at the post office seem not to know either. The answers I have found so far seem outrageously exhorbitant.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I would ship the comics in a comic bag and back board between 3 pieces of thick corrugated cardboard in bubble mailers or using boxes.

Gorilla proof packaging is needed for expensive comics and using Canada Post shipping services such as Tracked Packet-USA or International (up to 100.00 in insurance) 15.00-45.00CDN for shipping or Xpresspost-USA or International (up to 800.00CDN in insurance) 35.00-95.00CDN for shipping.

Tracking is required for Seller Protection (proof of delivery).

Unfortunately, there aren't many options available via Canada Post.......  

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Get the Small Business Solutions card anyway. You don't have to be a 'real business' and even 5% off at the counter is worthwhile.

We do get some discounts on postage from SnapShip- you have to sign up for the SmallBusiness Solutions card. And if Shippo! labels work for you there are further discounts there.

Both are selling Canada Post shipping labels.

I would add that you should use a poly envelope (bubble or not) which is both waterproof and very hard to open.

The HS code for books is 4901.99

By the way, I would be remiss not to mention that Canada Post does accept postage stamps as payment for their services, and you can buy mint postage stamps on eBay at greater discounts than either SnapShip or Shippo offers.

38cm. x 27cm. x 2 cm. @300grams or less is Light Packet Air International, cheap but no tracking.

Canada Post has a lucite jig to check the size.

I ship shirts & scarves this way, in a freezer sealy bag, brown paper wrapped.

Once you commit to tracking the price will almost double.

Don Jamieson.

small fitting box, with a bag in transit the contents can be damage.

Thread comparing Canada Post shipping rates to USA:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/July-rates-eBay-Shippo-vs-Canada-Post-Snap-Ship-vs-PayPal...

(message 17 updates that thread to August)

Tracked Packet or Expedited Parcel are your choices for delivery confirmation. Small Packet for economical.

Alternatives: If you are located in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal or Halifax there are companies (chitchatsexpress, stallionexpress, runninred, dlk) that will take your package across the border for a small fee and you can pay USA domestic shipping rates (USPS with tracking is fairly cheap).

-..-

Ask a Question