international shipping

I clearly list my items as not having international shipping with the exception of the US, as I offer it free. Now I just sold an item to someone who is in Puerto Rico, which is more expensive and not really a state. Does Ebay consider it as part of the USA making me obliged to ship free?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

international shipping

I am sure of myself.  I work at a post office.  When you ship to Puerto Rico, you ship to the US.  Each destination in Puerto Rico has a US zip code associated with it. When you get a quote for shipping you click US and type in the zip code to get your numbers.  Or even easier, use the drop down menu and fine Puerto Rico placed under P in the alphabetical list of states and territories of the US

Puerto Rico is International to Canada in that the US is also International, ie not a  part of Canada.

I did a quite quote at the Canada Post website for a parcel 36x26x10 weighing 900g to Puerto Rico, and it costs 26.95 for Expedited mail.  The same parcel to Hawaii is $26.95.  No difference in cost to you.

Ebay's help folks are notoriously...shall we say inaccurate. Hence the need for Answer Centre and Discussion boards.

There was a lengthy thread on this very topic on the Discussion board recently and it pops up in general quite often. Its a very common misconception...even to mainland US citizens.

Best of luck to you slartbartfast.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

international shipping

Of course ebay considers it a part of the US.  It is a part of the US. It should not be substantially more expensive especially if you are using small packet mail.  You won't be using International Shipping....check out the Expedited rate at Canada Post using their US zip code.  Shouldn't be any more than Alaska or California or Texas or Hawaii.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

international shipping

Actually you are wrong. I contacted Ebay and was told that PR is indeed 'international' and I may send an invoice for additional shipping fees. I am glad I didn't take your advice because you sounded very sure of yourself.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

international shipping

I am sure of myself.  I work at a post office.  When you ship to Puerto Rico, you ship to the US.  Each destination in Puerto Rico has a US zip code associated with it. When you get a quote for shipping you click US and type in the zip code to get your numbers.  Or even easier, use the drop down menu and fine Puerto Rico placed under P in the alphabetical list of states and territories of the US

Puerto Rico is International to Canada in that the US is also International, ie not a  part of Canada.

I did a quite quote at the Canada Post website for a parcel 36x26x10 weighing 900g to Puerto Rico, and it costs 26.95 for Expedited mail.  The same parcel to Hawaii is $26.95.  No difference in cost to you.

Ebay's help folks are notoriously...shall we say inaccurate. Hence the need for Answer Centre and Discussion boards.

There was a lengthy thread on this very topic on the Discussion board recently and it pops up in general quite often. Its a very common misconception...even to mainland US citizens.

Best of luck to you slartbartfast.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

international shipping

Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely correct about the reliability of Ebay personnel. As you said, the item wasn't that much more than anywhere else in the continental US.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply