IMPORT CHARGES

Canadians are NOT required to pay any import or duty charges on purchases $20 or less.

I don't understand, please tell me why these charges are on some US sellers websites and not others.  I refuse to purchase anything with these import charges.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

IMPORT CHARGES

Here is the official government website about importing via mail:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Hope it helps.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

IMPORT CHARGES

Because Americans are remarkably vague about anything outside the mainland USA. Try getting something delivered to Puerto Rico, for example.

However, you are probably running into the new and poorly explained Global Shipping Program which is run (for a hefty fee charged to the buyer) by Pitney Bowes.

You may be mistaking their fees for duty. It's not. It's just a ripoff.

Or if the amount is over $20, you may be seeing sales tax (GST/HST/PST) which is applicable.

While fees and taxes on items delivered by Canada Post are occasionally/often not collected, private companies like UPS and Pitney Bowes will ALWAYS collect.

If a sales tax or duty was collected in error, you can get it reimbursed by CBSA. There should be a 1-800 number for this on the back of the invoice used to charge you.

But best is to enquire, BEFORE bidding, whether or not the seller got sucked in to the Global Shipping Program, and ifthey say they use it,  politely tell them that like most Canadians you do not buy from sellers who do.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

IMPORT CHARGES

WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM,I WOULD THINK MOST CANADIAN BUYERS ARE AWARE OF THE RIDICULOS CHARGES,EVIDENTLY NOT.I TRY ON ALL MY LISTINGS ON THE CA. SITE TO SHOW THAT I AM NOT A MEMBER OF GSP PROGRAM .MAYBE IF MORE AMERICAN SELLERS DID THIS IT WOULD ELIMINATE MANY PROBLEMS FROM EVEN STARTING.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

IMPORT CHARGES

I agree! I will not buy from sellers who use the Global Shipping Program. Just now I had someone charge me PST and GST .... they should be required to post they charge these taxes - I would NOT have purchased from the seller had I known. I don't understand how we can be charged US dollars and then a CAD tax added at US dollar rates!!! Totally not fair. SELLERS FYI many Canadians will NOT buy from people charging GSP. It is already VERY expensive for us to pay shipping costs!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

IMPORT CHARGES

gillesblue,
BY CHARGING THAT IMPORT TAX EBAY WILL BE LOOSING CUSTOMER BIG TIME.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply