Was told $3 for shipping. Charged $26. Seller wont change invoice. What do I do?

Before bidding I asked seller cost to ship.  Was told $3.  When I received invoice, I was charged $26.  When I contacted seller, he told me he can not change invoice and to just pay for the item plus the $3.  Paypal will not let you pay only part of an invoice.  Now sellers wont answer my emails.  What do I do?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Was told $3 for shipping. Charged $26. Seller wont change invoice. What do I do?

Seller sounds shady. And if u r feeling that too. I would back out of sale. Get a hold of eBay or papal to get your money back if u already paid. Having documentation of the $3.00 shipping would help your case.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

First try to change the shipping cost yourself. Often sellers do not realize they can block this action. Important point-- do NOT hit "recalculate"

If this works pay and there you go.

If it doesn't work, tell the seller that the reason he can't change the shipping is because he is hitting"recalculate". Tell him to try again without that action. (It's there to help when errors are made, but just causes confusion.)

Now. Is it possible that the seller is using the Global Shipping Program? This will automatically add a customs brokerage fee for Pitney Bowes (the shipping service) plus sales tax and appropriate duty if the purchase is $20 or more. Your seller may not realize this, since the buyer's side is not well explained. Ask him to remove the GSP from the invoice.

If he can't or won't do these, tell him politely that your bid was based on the total price including the $3.00 shipping quote and the invoice is much higher than you are able to pay. Ask for a Mutual Cancellation. If he sends a MC, agree promptly. The frees both of you from the soured transaction, gives him his fees back, and allows both of you to leave appropriate feedback.

He may choose instead to go for an Unpaid Item Dispute. While these should always be taken seriously, you should in the text box explain about the $3 shipping quote and the much higher invoice.  If you lose the Dispute, you will get an Unpaid Item Strike. This could mean that you find it harder to bid on eBay in future if you get another, since many/most sellers Block bidders with multiple UID Strikes.

But start with communicating politely with the seller. Combined with your high feedback, he should realize that you are a sophisticated buyer Woman Very Happy  and try to make you happy.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM MYSELF WITH A AUCTION WIN ITEM... ON THE LISTING YOU CAN READ UNDER THE ITEM PRICE $3,00 INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING... AT THE END THE SELLER ASK ME $15.00 ??? SO I REFUSED TO PAY THE ITEM, BECAUSE HE CHANGE HIS SHIPPING FEE !

BEST ADVICE... DON'T PAY THE ITEM !!!!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply