Addressee's phone number now required on paypal postage label?

2budds
Community Member

Have had a problem printing postage shipping labels the last few days.  

The addressee's phone number is now required before label will print.

This is a first.

I now have to contact the buyer and get their phone number before I can ship their package.

If this is going to be the new rule, should buyer not be required to kprovide the phone number before the purchase is made

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Addressee's phone number now required on paypal postage label?

qottie
Community Member

Hi 2budds,

The PayPal label platform problems are a known issue, and we are working with them to try to find a solution.  In the interim, you can find the buyer's phone number in the Sales Record for the transaction.  More details can be found at https://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/03/17/7958/.  Thanks for your patience!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Just a quick update to this thread to let everyone know that PayPal has resolved the issue of buyer phone numbers not appearing on labels.  More details on the Announcement Board.  Thanks for your patience!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@2budds wrote:

Have had a problem printing postage shipping labels the last few days.  

The addressee's phone number is now required before label will print.

This is a first.

I now have to contact the buyer and get their phone number before I can ship their package.

If this is going to be the new rule, should buyer not be required to provide the phone number before the purchase is made

Work around: Use your own phone number. It's only used for problems at the delivery end. I've never had a call back using my phone number.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Given the number of posts on this topic over the past few days, I see this is a big problem (or at least perceived as a big problem) for many sellers. But when I look quickly through my Paid and Shipped Sales Records over the past 90 days, I see my buyers have provided their phone numbers without hesitation in 99 per cent of cases. I cannot ever think of a time I have needed one and not found it. And I don't have it as a Seller Preference setting where it is also available by ebay. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

No need to worry about the recipient phone #. The easiest solution is to put in 0000000000. That's what has worked for me.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Hi 2budds,

The PayPal label platform problems are a known issue, and we are working with them to try to find a solution.  In the interim, you can find the buyer's phone number in the Sales Record for the transaction.  More details can be found at https://announcements.ebay.ca/2017/03/17/7958/.  Thanks for your patience!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Thank you. We had figured that out days ago. But I suppose there are users who will go straight to the Solution.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Where/how do you access the sales record. Can find no such form. View Order details or View PayPal transaction does not show  phone number if that's what they mean by sales record?.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@bpl521_sell wrote:

Where/how do you access the sales record. Can find no such form. View Order details or View PayPal transaction does not show  phone number if that's what they mean by sales record?.

Go to P.4 of this thread for directions on how to find a Sales Record. http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Is-Paypal-down/td-p/367969/page/4

Other sellers will say to use ten zeros. Or your own number. In place of the buyer's if you cannot find it. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, they don't make it easy to find. Had to subscribe to Seller Manager first. Most of the buyers have been pretty good about supplying a phone number when asked. One got their back up and probably thought I was phishing for personal information. Don't know why it's taking Ebay so long to fix the bug.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

It's not a bug. It's a new export requirement from Canada Post.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Even if it was a bug, PayPal Shipping and Pitney Bowes own that feature.

You can in your seller settings require your buyers to have phone numbers on file as part of their address.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Just a quick update to this thread to let everyone know that PayPal has resolved the issue of buyer phone numbers not appearing on labels.  More details on the Announcement Board.  Thanks for your patience!

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

ay656
Community Member

That is a very strange requirement by Canada Post. Many people don't want to publish their phone numbers, and this is their right to keep their phone numbers private.

Instead of inventing silly requirements and making things worse for the people, Canada Post could have directed their efforts towards improving deliveries from China.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

It is a Customs requirement, not something Canada Post initiated - they are responding to international customs requirements for commercial shipments.  You can keep your phone number private by not selling anything out of the country, if it is that important to you.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

It is a Customs requirement, not something Canada Post initiated - they are responding to international customs requirements for commercial shipments.  You can keep your phone number private by not selling anything out of the country, if it is that important to you.

That's not my phone number, this is the customer phone number they want.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

The seller's phone number has always been required.
Message 16 of 16
latest reply