Is there always a PayPal 21 day hold in Canada regardless of history?

I have been a member since 2004, and since 2012 I have had this '21 day hold' whenever I sell something. I already know about the 'requirements' to get the funds immediately and the only thing that must be going against me is that I do not sell a lot of items (but I have easily sold at least 25 since 2004).

So phoned PayPal and asked them how close am I, or what is the thing I have to do so I can get my funds immediately (like the pre-2012 days). What they told me was shocking, the rep said that in Canada there is always a 21 day hold regardless of your history. One could sell 25 items a day, have had an account since 1999, and 100% positive feedback, and still a 21 day hold. Is this true for Canada? This is the first I have heard of it.

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@nes_webpage wrote:

I have been a member since 2004, and since 2012 I have had this '21 day hold' whenever I sell something. I already know about the 'requirements' to get the funds immediately and the only thing that must be going against me is that I do not sell a lot of items (but I have easily sold at least 25 since 2004).

So phoned PayPal and asked them how close am I, or what is the thing I have to do so I can get my funds immediately (like the pre-2012 days). What they told me was shocking, the rep said that in Canada there is always a 21 day hold regardless of your history. One could sell 25 items a day, have had an account since 1999, and 100% positive feedback, and still a 21 day hold. Is this true for Canada? This is the first I have heard of it.

The rep gave you a load of half-truth rubbish. If the 21 day hold is in place it can be shortened and money released earlier for Americans who have tracking proof that the sale item was successfully delivered.

Details: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html

-..-

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@nes_webpage wrote:

Although not mentioned in the help files, I'm pretty sure that eBay is only looking at the last 12 months of data (what shows in the Seller Dashboard) for the 21 day hold threshold numbers...

-..-

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

That's not quite right, Dennis.  The rep gave out a load of zero-truth rubbish.

I don't have any type of hold on my PP acct and I don't sell that much.

You have a hold because you were dormant for a while on ebay.  When you start back into selling, they throw a hold on your funds until you achieve their targets.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Yeah the Paypal rep was totally BSing you. I'm not entirely sure as I've never ever encountered a hold on my Paypal funds other than for e-cheques but that's not technically a hold... I'm going to agree and say that you were probably dormant for too long and eBay is now treating your eBay account as if it's new. Once you get past those new selling minimum thresholds those holds should stop. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@a52split wrote:

That's not quite right, Dennis.  The rep gave out a load of zero-truth rubbish.

I don't have any type of hold on my PP acct and I don't sell that much.

No.

The half truth is that Americans do have a way to shorten their 21 day hold while Canadians with the 21 day hold DO NOT -- that part is true, The untruth part is that all Canadians have a 21 day hold.

Just another improperly trained rep...

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

After reading the comments one thing that I have noticed since I wrote this up. If I sell something to a buyer in the US, once it says they have received the package I only have to wait maybe a few days from that point and my funds will be released.

But, if I sell something to someone else in Canada, I have to wait the full 21 days. This makes no sense to me.

Also it has nothing to do with how much the item is worth (as one might logically think). I sold something to someone in the US for around $500 and I received the funds a few days after they received it in the mail. I sold something to someone in Canada for $110, I had to wait the full 21 days.

This is a very confusing system. I miss the old days when I just got the money right away, and there was a zero day hold (no matter how much or how little I sold). The only portion they release to me early is the shipping amount (but I have to pay for it first, and print the label through PayPal).

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The Paypal Hold (and it does seem to be Paypal and not eBay, which may explain why the eBay rep was miserably uninformed) is designed for US sellers and buyers.

Basically, PP doesn't trust anyone from outside the USA.

So your US buyer's payment gets released quickly, while you have to wait for the Canadian /foreign devil ones.

It's possible that estimated delivery comes into it, but that's guesswork on my part.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You are an occasional seller and eBay/Paypal puts you in the same category as a new seller*, that is someone who is liable to make innocent errors in the transaction.

When you are selling more steadily and have a recent track record, the Hold will be lifted, first for domestic sales (including, I think, US sales) and later for international sales.

As a side effect, probably not entirely unintentional, eBay is encouraging you to list more and make more sales, if only to get your money sooner.

* And a questionable seller, but that doesn't really come into your problem.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@nes_webpage wrote:

After reading the comments one thing that I have noticed since I wrote this up. If I sell something to a buyer in the US, once it says they have received the package I only have to wait maybe a few days from that point and my funds will be released.

But, if I sell something to someone else in Canada, I have to wait the full 21 days. This makes no sense to me.

Also it has nothing to do with how much the item is worth (as one might logically think). I sold something to someone in the US for around $500 and I received the funds a few days after they received it in the mail. I sold something to someone in Canada for $110, I had to wait the full 21 days.

This is a very confusing system. I miss the old days when I just got the money right away, and there was a zero day hold (no matter how much or how little I sold). The only portion they release to me early is the shipping amount (but I have to pay for it first, and print the label through PayPal).

When PP is holding your funds because you aren't considered as an established seller yet there should not be a difference for Canadian vs. US sales.  What could be happening is that the system is automatic when USPS delivers a package but it isn't automatic when the information is on CP.   If I were you I might start phoning PP when the 3 days are up to ask them to release the money.  

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The rep gave you a load of half-truth rubbish. If the 21 day hold is in place it can be shortened and money released earlier for Americans who have tracking proof that the sale item was successfully delivered.

Details: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html

Dennis, that page is out of date.  The same rules apply to Canadians and Americans as it was changed a while ago.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/build-your-business-online/deliver-great-service/fundsavailab...

The most important thing you can do to help get your funds more quickly is ship the same day your buyer pays and follow good shipping practices. Based on your shipping method and the shipping information you provide, here's when your funds should be available:

3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you pay for shipping and print labels on PayPal. The PayPal label printing service is free, your tracking information uploads automatically, and you'll get funds to help cover shipping.
3 days after we can confirm the order was delivered, if you ship directly using Canada Postor FedEx and manually enter your tracking information into My eBay.
7 days after your latest estimated delivery date if you don't upload tracking information but you mark the item as shipped in My eBay OR

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 12
latest reply