Paypal Debit card

tractorfix
Community Member

How can they close our paypal cards? How are we supposed to get at our money ? I don't want to link to my bank account. I always used the card to access my $$$. This sucks

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Paypal Debit card

Paypal Debit card

@tractorfix wrote:

How can they close our paypal cards?  How are we supposed to get at our money?  I don't want to link to my bank account. I always used the card to access my $$$.

1. Spend the money online.

2. Open a no fee fee bank account just for paypal use.

PayPal is no longer a part of eBay having been spun off into a separate company 2 years ago.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Paypal Debit card

tobyshitzu
Community Member

paypan announced they are getting further into other banking services and have new partners for that who aren't that card issuer.  Americans get a new card, we get nothing

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Paypal Debit card

I don't understand your thinking re: not wanting to link your bank account... Why not? PayPal is an excellent service to take advantage of, holds foreign currencies for you that can be spent easily online saving $$. Personally, I find it very convenient to transfer the CAD balance over to my personal bank account every month.... my bank debit card works very well. .. have no need to carry around another card from PayPal.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Paypal Debit card

The debit card wasnt to spend the CAN$ balance, which wasn't possible.  It was to spend the US$ paypal balance.  Even if it was spent in Canada, since the card's origin was Chase bank, there was 0% Fx conversion premium.  So having the card let Canadian sellers convert their US$ paypal balance at no charge, or spend directly in US$ without converting anything.  With the card we could buy directly at amazon.com etc who don't take paypal.   

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Paypal Debit card

@tobyshitzu wrote:

The debit card wasnt to spend the CAN$ balance, which wasn't possible.  It was to spend the US$ paypal balance.  Even if it was spent in Canada, since the card's origin was Chase bank, there was 0% Fx conversion premium.  ...

Then the debit card closure is probably tied to the Chase Bank's closing of their Canadian operations. All their credit cards for Canadians are also being phased out.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Paypal Debit card

Wasn't aware of the USD on amazon.com feature.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Paypal Debit card

I often have a balance in my paypal account and I am irritated when I find retailers that don't accept it as a payment method to the point I will shop elsewhere. That being said, I'm not affected by this issue with the card, I never had one to start.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Paypal Debit card

For those of us who did have the PayPal card, we have lost the convenience of having it and using it where it was convenient to do so. ... it may be one less card to carry around but also one less option...

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Paypal Debit card

No, the paypal card was americab issued in the usa.  Paypal severed that deal and already replaced the cards for americans.  they are getting into offerring full banking services https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/9/17215402/paypal-bank-debit-card-direct-deposit-license-new-feature...

Granted being its been so many years since the brief time canadians could get the card, there can't be too may active sellers that have one.  I was always expecting them to no renew them when the expiry date came up

Message 11 of 11
latest reply