Paypal case opened for not authorized purchase.

Just got this in my email today.   Purchased oct 2, delivered with tracking on Oct 6 to the address on paypal and ebay.  I googled the address and the people that purchased it live there.  Now they say I do not need to do anything while they investigate.  I just don't trust them.  Have you ever had anything like this happen to you and if so what was the result?

Case opened: Case 

Dear Musicyouneed,

We are writing to let you know one of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. The buyer stated that they did not authorize this purchase.

Here are the case details:

• Buyer's name: 
  • Buyer's email: 
  • Buyer's transaction ID: 
  • Your transaction ID: 
  • Transaction date: October 2, 2017
  • Transaction amount: $14.99 USD
  • Disputed amount: $14.99 USD

Our records show tracking information is available for this transaction. We will review this as soon as possible. At this time, we need no further action or information from you.

Thank you for your patience during this process. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

PayPal

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

i have received this letter before.  i don't wait, i call paypal with the tracking info and have them deal with the case when i am on the phone,, you have tracking showing item, has been received,, should be a done deal.. if it doesn't go in your favor it should be paid out by paypal, not from your account..

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I called paypal and I guess the buyer went to their credit card company and claimed unauthorized access, the CSR stated that they would never get away of opening up a case in Paypal, if it had been straight paypal. 

Paypal has to investigate, the CSR stated that since I shipped to the address on file, that is the correct address as per google and the tracking shows it was received, they don't have a chance.  She took the hold off the money and put it back into my account.  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

A clear case of buyer's remorse.

If you want to be a good ebay citizen, contact ebay and inform them that the buyer's account got compromised by a hacker. Send ebay the message from PP that states unauthorized use.

That should lock up his ebay account for a while.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

You think so?  I thought it might be that they didn't remember ordering it.  Husband, wife, son, daughter ordered it and didn't tell. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

They haven't ordered anything in a month.  A few more after me but not much after that.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Let's say it was the husband's account and the wife ordered the item without telling him. The fact that he tells his wife the password to the account is authorization to make the purchase whether she tells him or not.

Contact ebay.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

All that is needed to win a cc unauthorized claim is to show the item was sent to the payment address which you were able to do.  Even if the cc company believes the buyer and refunds them in the end, it will be PP refunding, not you.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

The claim is that the cc transaction was unauthorized and eBay is not going to get involved with that as they are not the payment processor. Calling then is not going to make them “tie up” the buyers eBay account.  The seller could use the report buyer function just so that eBay is aware that there was a problem but unless there are numerous similar reports, eBay won’t investigate.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I just heard from paypal and it has been decided in my case, which I knew it would be especially with delivered with tracking.

Question should I block this person from further purchases?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Question should I block this person from further purchases?

Immediately!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The claim is that the cc transaction was unauthorized and eBay is not going to get involved with that as they are not the payment processor. Calling then is not going to make them “tie up” the buyers eBay account.  The seller could use the report buyer function just so that eBay is aware that there was a problem but unless there are numerous similar reports, eBay won’t investigate.

I disagree.  It wasn't the CC that was hacked, it was the ebay acct that was used fraudulently.  Ebay will step in and lock the guy's account.  I know a guy who did that to a buyer for this very reason, and his buyer's acct was locked by ebay.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I don't recall suggesting that there was hacking of the ebay or credit card account. I've never heard of ebay freezing an account when a credit card unauthorized charge was opened with their credit card company so I can't see it happening but we're both free to believe what we want.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Someone using this person's ebay account made a purchase from me with immediate payment.  They used a credit card with paypal.  Now if they are disputing the credit card charge, why would they not dispute the ebay account too. 

Everything in this case goes hand in hand.  I googled this person's address and it is one and the same, they have a history of buying CD's.  They were just trying to get the CD for free.  

Paypal didn't believe them and disallowed their case.  

I have blocked them from future purchases and did report them to ebay that they claimed unauthorized use of their credit card.  In this case, I had tracking and it showed as delivered, but wonder if the shipment didn't have tracking, the seller may be out of luck. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply