'eBay sellers are concerned about PayPal's decision to withdraw protection for Credit Card payments'

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl

This affects those transactions where Paypal processes credit card payments for ebay sellers. I don't like the sound of this although this may be a knee-jerk reaction on my part, as I cannot think of the last time that I had to actually appeal to Paypal for Seller Protection. 

Sun Mar 18 2018 20:20:35 eBay Sellers Worry over Changes to PayPal Protection  By: Ina SteinerSun Mar 18 2018 20:20:35 eBay Sellers Worry over Changes to PayPal Protection By: Ina Steiner

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

'eBay sellers are concerned about PayPal's decision to withdraw protection for Credit Card payments'

Also, it has something to do with the new Intermediary Payment Processing coming. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Perhaps ebay staff will be so kind as to explain the manner in which ebay intends to compensate for the current payment processor withdrawing protection on services we are obligated to use regardless. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:

Also, it has something to do with the new Intermediary Payment Processing coming. 

From reading it over that would be correct as this relates to PayPal's processing of credit/debit card transactions for the guest checkout. This is likely where ebay could start experimenting with Ayden since the buyer is paying by credit/debit so who actually processes the transaction is a complete neutral for the buyer. Ayden will eventually assume the responsibility as the default payment gateway for ebay purchases so the "guest checkout" business will get shifted to Ayden or phased out with the introduction of their payment gateway. When that happens, any paypal payment will be a logged in paypal transaction so it isn't really relevant at that point.

It would make sense that paypal would pull a bit of a jab and shove the ball back in eBay's court with respect to covering merchants using the guest checkout. They are basically saying they don't want to perform fraud prevention/merchant insurance for the most commoditized transactions (they make more processing a transaction through paypal) if ebay is going to eat into their marketshare of paypal payments on ebay by defaulting to Ayden.

This is purely a **bleep** for tat that may in some cases effect sellers. Where my concern would be with this is that ebay does an awful job of dealing with fraudulent actors, whether it be through those holding accounts or via the guest checkout. In my experience in dealing with escalated calls on multiple occasions they simply don't care and you can seemingly commit a hell of a lot of fraud as a buyer before you suffer any consequences. In the last year paypal has covered me for roughly $500 USD in unauthorized transaction chargebacks. If a scammer wants to be the ultimate jerk and really sting the seller they'll just go through the guest check out in the future. For me though it is a relatively small percentage of buyers that use the guest checkout (you can tell by zero feedback bidders with pseudo jibberish system generated usernames based on their actual names).  What ebay needs to clarify is when Ayden will be taking over guest checkout duties from paypal and what their criteria/conditions will be for protecting merchants from chargebacks. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I'm baffled about how to deal with a PP dispute for a credit card refusal.

How does one show that the unhappy buyer has been contacted and offered restitution, in order to avoid losing the Dispute, the product and a fee for processing the chargeback?

@happy_pigeon

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@femmefan1946wrote:

I'm baffled about how to deal with a PP dispute for a credit card refusal.

How does one show that the unhappy buyer has been contacted and offered restitution, in order to avoid losing the Dispute, the product and a fee for processing the chargeback?

@happy_pigeon

I'm not totally sure what you are asking as I don't know what you mean by a credit card refusal.  If it is a chargeback because item not as described, there isn't a whole lot that you can do other than refund.  You can tell PP that you've done all of that but there is no seller protection for that type of claim. If you refund without forcing PP to make a decision, there is no chargeback processing fee.  But I've read about very few chargebacks for nad's. Usually the buyer will go through ebay or PP for that.

If it is an unauthorized use chargeback all you have to do is show proof of shipping OR proof of delivery to the payment address.

In both situations, I'm going by how this has been handled in the past, I'm a bit confused about any changes that they will be making.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Muddier waters.

eBay Buyer Turns to PayPal to Claim Restocking Fee

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/letters/blog.pl?/pl/2018/3/1521490046.html

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

WAIT, WHAT?

“eBay sellers can breathe a sigh of relief as PayPal announced it would not proceed with a move that would have left sellers without protection for certain transactions. A spokesperson told EcommerceBytes on Monday: ‘We are not proceeding with the amendment originally included in the Policy Update stating a payment must be made in connection with a transaction where the buyer logged into their PayPal account in order for a seller to be covered for Unauthorized Transactions under our Seller Protection program.’”

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2018/03/19/paypal-retracts-new-seller-protection-provision/

Well, that was... strange. False alarm, I guess.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@momcqueenwrote:
WAIT, WHAT?

Well, that was... strange. False alarm, I guess.

Things just continue to get dumb and dumber in marketplace land. Wake me up when we all just give away product and reply on a patreon account for income. laughing

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

*sighs heavily*

The only sources cited in this article are from other articles on the eCommerceBytes blog itself. I cannot find any official references to PayPal's announcement (and apparent subsequent backtracking) on the web, nor have I heard anything about this internally. Has anyone else found a link that they can share?

My product manager for the new payment system is out of office today, but I'm circulating internally to see what I can find out for you all to offer some clarity. In the meantime, please take anything on eCommerceBytes with a generous grain of salt, unless it is accompanied by official sources.

Stay tuned, I will tell you if I find out more.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for interceding. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply