i used my credit card and the amount in my transaction is more than the item's price

Hello , i did buy a phone from ebay.ca and i  used my credit card the full amount was 498 C$, when i checked my credit card transactions i found this payment under paypal and they charged 517 c$ , I didnt accept any other payments to be taken from my credit cards, I tried to contact the seller he said he got the 498 only, i contact my bank and they said its from paypal, but i didnt use paypal i paid on the ebay using my credit card. i tried to contact the customer service with no luck and no one contact me back.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

i used my credit card and the amount in my transaction is more than the item's price

@mahamad_50511 wrote:

Hello , i did buy a phone from ebay.ca and i  used my credit card the full amount was 498 C$, when i checked my credit card transactions i found this payment under paypal and they charged 517 c$ , I didnt accept any other payments to be taken from my credit cards, I tried to contact the seller he said he got the 498 only, i contact my bank and they said its from paypal, but i didnt use paypal i paid on the ebay using my credit card. i tried to contact the customer service with no luck and no one contact me back.

The bank is probably correct -- the payment was processed through PayPal -- most ebay sellers do not accept credit card payments directly. They are processed via PayPal.

What currency was the phone listed in? If it was not in Canadian $ then the converted amount eBay displays is only approximate  -- actual amount paid will be different depending on the actual exchange rate when your payment is processed (and any bank credit card conversion fees).  It's one of ebay's annoying design stupidities.

-..-

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

thanks for the reply,

the amount was in US dollars, but i got the confirmation email after the payment in canadian dollars saying its 498 canadian, then when i checked the transaction i found it 516 canadian, its not the conversion rate.

I hope they will answer my call today 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I end up paying conversion fee without i even get notified, so weird, i will never use ebay again, never had such thing in amazon

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I suspect the difference is the fee that PayPal charges, believe around 4% to use their service. If you buy something and pay (not ebay) you pay the fee when using PayPal, if the seller sends you a invoice they pay the fee.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hi, I'm quite certain that this additional amount that you paid relates to Pal Pal Policy updates that have just kicked in. They are now charging 2.9% plus an additional fee for using M/C, Visa and Visa Debit as the payment vehicle. Read more here:

"Updates to the Canada User Agreement"

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@meaford_music wrote:

Hi, I'm quite certain that this additional amount that you paid relates to Pal Pal Policy updates that have just kicked in. They are now charging 2.9% plus an additional fee for using M/C, Visa and Visa Debit as the payment vehicle. Read more here:

"Updates to the Canada User Agreement"

These updates take effect October 10, 2017, yesterday. The OP issue was from last week before these new policies were in effect.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I did not get any notification from eBay about these new credit card fees.  It's a good thing that the fee was only $1.68 extra.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply