Canadian with US Registration Address

mish17
Community Member

I sell on ebay.com and am registered with a US address but live in Canada. Ebay has restricted my acct because I cannot provide them with a US bank acct.  I wnat to change my registration address to a Canadian address but am unable to do so. I have called client support a number of times and they have advised they are looking into it but never call me back.  Does anyone know what I need to do to change my registration address from US to Canada?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

marnotom!
Community Member

There’s been a handful of posts in the past week from users in the same boat as you, @mish17. My takeaway from the eBay rep’s response is that a fix for this is being worked on, but for now your choices appear to be to either open a new eBay account or wait things out until you can correct your registration information.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you @marnotom! for the response.  Ebay rep did tell me I may need to open up a new acct and they are  trying to look into my suituation.  Was hoping someone on here was successful in getting the address changed

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

If anybody has had any success in doing this, I don't think they've posted their "good news story" to any of the discussion boards.

If you don't mind my being nosy, why do you have a US registration address?  Somebody else posted saying that that was the only way for a Canadian to get on eBay back in the day, but my wife registered in 1999 and had no trouble using our address on Vancouver Island when she registered on the dot-com site.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

I suspect this will keep coming up as occasional sellers discover they have to register for Managed Payments.

A step by step process posted to dotCOM would be helpful.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

My understanding from Tyler's recent post on this is that there is currently no "step by step process" for updating registration information to refect a location in another country.  It is something that's ''being worked on."

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Hi @reallynicestamps@marnotom! is correct that there is no process in place currently that would allow a member who has already been moved to their payments being managed by eBay to change their registration information to let them change countries. 

That's a mouthful, but in short:

• If a member is located in Canada but has a US address set as their registration address when they onboard into payments their account will be considered a US-address for purposes of documentation and verification. Note: This only applies to registration address, US-shipping addresses are fine
  • Once onboarded into payments there is currently no way to change or alter that country designation, meaning the US-based asks of full SSN and/or ITIN, as well as completing W9 reporting forms will be required with no way to exempt it
  • If this has happened to you, like in the case of @mish17,  the only alternative is to open a new account (either on .com or .ca) with the registration address set as your Canadian physical address 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Not nosy at all.  I use a forwarding company that drops my parcels off at a USPS location to be shipped from there.  And when I signed up long ago I had to use a US address for some reason which I can't remember. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Thank you Tyler for the explanation.  Currently my account is resticted as I can't provide the SSN/bank info. If I open up a new acct will any current listings and previous feedback be transferred over or linked?  I'm not a new seller and would like buyers to be able to see my previous feedback.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Unfortunately your previous feedback will not be carried over and if you have any current listings, those won't be automatically transferred.  Tyler did mention in another post that someone starting a new ID for this reason won't have the same restrictions as a brand new seller but there may still be some restrictions to start out.

I just looked at your feedback and it doesn't appear that you have sold anything in the last year so even if you were selling on your current ID, you would have selling restrictions.  When you take a break from selling they consider you a 'new' seller.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for the information @pjcdn2005.   I actually did sell a couple of items  in Dec but did not receive feedback for them. So my acct shouldnt be "new" .  When starting a new ID is there a way to let ebay know that I am not a "new" seller?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@mish17 wrote:

Thank you for the information @pjcdn2005.   I actually did sell a couple of items  in Dec but did not receive feedback for them. So my acct shouldnt be "new" .  When starting a new ID is there a way to let ebay know that I am not a "new" seller?

You would still be considered "new" or "restarting" at this point.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

One way to encourage feedback is to leave it yourself on shipment.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

As marnotom mentioned, a couple of sales still makes you 'new' in eBay's eyes.

I really don't understand how it works.  They will limit some newish sellers to sales of $20/month but then I'll see a 0 feedback seller who just registered listing a $500 camera or Xbox.  As far as letting them know you're not new or if it will help if you let them know....I can't answer that.  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

mish17
Community Member

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses. I guess I will contact ebay and let them know the situation (again!) and then start a new acct.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply