Deleting Social Insurance Number from Managed Payments

I recently signed up with Managed Payments, as Ebay was taking away my selling priveleges if I did not do so. One of the requirements is inputting your Social Insurance Number (SIN). I made a mistake of putting in my SIN number into the field. Later on I found out that such is not mandatory. Now there is no way for me to go back and delete my SIN without completely deleting my Ebay account. This is completely absurd, as they have created a system so flawed that once you put in any information, regardless of it being optional, you cannot delete it. The system also does not let me cancel my MANAGED PAYMENTS contract, so once you've entered into an agreement with Ebay, there is no way to cancel it without deleting the account. FIX YOUR SYSTEM EBAY!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Deleting Social Insurance Number from Managed Payments

marnotom!
Community Member

Sorry I can't be too much help here, but I feel I should point out that even if you didn't sign up for Managed Payments or were able to withdraw from it, you eventually wouldn't be able to sell here anyway as eBay is in the process of discontinuing using PayPal as its payment processor.  That's why you were "invited" to join the Managed Payments fold.

Most eCommerce sites have already moved to this "in house" payment model, and, in fact, eBay used this model a number of years ago, first with Billpoint and later with PayPal until they spun it off.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

"and later with PayPal until they were forced to spin it off"

Fixed that for you.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

For the record there are still lots of eCommerce sites that use PayPal as their payment provider.  Most of them have much lower selling fees than eBay as well . So remember everyone there are other options out there if you do your homework.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hi Ahmed,

Under PIPEDA (I assume you are based in Canada), entities in the private sector must be transparent of how they collect, store and manage your personal identifiable information (in this case your SIN).

Private entities can only collect personal identifiable information that is sufficient for the person of its collection. In this case, its optional, therefore not absolutely necessary for whatever its purpose of collection. If ebay refuses to remove the data from its system,

Submit a complaint to the office of privacy commissioner.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Deleting Social Insurance Number from Managed Payments

You need an eBay Rep to do that.
Contact the help desk.
I needed to edit my name from "Mike" to "Michael", and that was the only means available.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I'm confused with all this, legally they are not employers or a federally approved financial institution and none of these are required for our performance through their intermediary service. Our bank account has already been verified in person at the bank and the information must match that on the account. Both eBay and our Bank may send info to the government for tax purposes so this should already check out and verify one's identiy. Especially if a seller has been in good standing for decades.

I have a question about the data collection: eBay is asking for the number from sensitive documents. A number can only be used to "verify" if they have access to a service that already has the information pertaining to that number? If this is the case which third party confirms that said number matches the name and information on the account as eBay themselves aren't the authentication service? Additionally does eBay keep or store the number? And/or does the third party keep/store the number? And if you request information through PIPEDA would that return only whether eBay used/keeps/stores the data or would it also then pertain to any third party?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yes, you should be able to ask.

That PIPEDA request could be an interesting return. I deleted my old information from PayPal when I moved a decade ago and had the people at the offices remove it as well so that my new addressess and contact info would match. Years later I still get asked to confirm old information even though they have told me numerous times they have deleted it from the system. It doesn't show in my front end only their back-end records. 😕

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The decision to submit one's social insurance number is voluntary.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If a seller doesn't offer their social security number eBay ask for either your license or passport number. Not everyone drives and not everyone has a passport. If you refuse or cannot provide any of the three but still have valid banking and have been a part of the community for near two decades what exactly are they trying to verify?  And how exactly is that information being used if it is provided?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Social Security Numbers are required for US eBay users to sell on eBay. Social Insurance Numbers are not required for Canadian eBay users to sell on eBay.

Some provinces such as mine (British Columbia) offer provincial government-issued ID for those without driver’s licences. I had either BC ID or a valid passport in the years before I got my driver’s licence because I recognized that not having government-issued ID could be problematic.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Actually they say not monitory but many people could sell but did could not get paid by eBay until they gave social insurance number.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply