Identity confirmation?

This is a continuation of a previous topic:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/PayPal/Identity-confirmation/m-p/421488#M2308

The zombie nerds got the previous topic locked even though this problem is still happening.

Here's the original post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of days ago I logged into my PP acct.  When inside, there was a notification open on the right side of the screen with this message:

Before you can complete any transactions, you need to verify that you're the account holder. Please visit the Identity Confirmation Dashboard to find out what information we need. 

First, I checked the URL, it was not a scammer's link.

When I clicked on the link, this was next:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Two things have happened since then. 

The notice pop-up window has gone away when I log into my PP acct, but there's still always 1 notification for me.  When I click on that, it opens the previous annoying pop-up window with the message from above.  My account is not restricted in any way.

I was recently contacted by another ebay member who had this exact same thing start on his PP acct.  By comparing our usage, it appears that whenever you have a single large $ transaction, it triggers this demand for info. In my case, I sold an item for just over $2000.  The other ebay member sold a $3000 item. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Identity confirmation?

tyler@ebay 

Thoughts?

My thought would be that PP /eBay is confirming identity on high value transactions, which sounds like a good Seller Protection, especially if those high value transactions are unusual for the account.

I have my doubts about any of that being a Canadian regulation. At least they didn't ask for your SIN.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the tag @femmefan1946!

Hi @a52split - this sounds like a PayPal feature designed to verify account details for security purposes. I'm not familiar with the workings of PayPal's security processes, so I'd recommend contacting them for verification on that. 

I do know, from eBay's end, there are times we ask newly registered sellers to confirm account details and information. I've also heard of similar things being done on PayPal's end to confirm details when an account nears the reporting threshold for CRA/IRS, but that's hearsay. Best to check with them direct on this one! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

My thought would be that PP /eBay is confirming identity on high value transactions, 

I have my doubts about any of that being a Canadian regulation. At least they didn't ask for your SIN.

The transaction I suspect that triggered this on my account was not related to ebay in any way.  I don't know about the other guy who contacted me, I didn't ask.

I agree with you about the Canadian regulation comment. If this came from CRA, the first thing they'd ask for is your SIN.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply